Agg
3-2
Swansea
1-1
Barnsley
Agg
2-1

WhiteJC

Key Fulham figure addresses Aleksandar Mitrovic's future amid links with Jose Mourinho and AS Roma

Fulham manager Scott Parker has suggested that he sees no reason why forward Aleksandar Mitrovic would not remain part of the squad for next season in the Championship.

Mitrovic endured a frustrating campaign in the Premier League this term and he only managed to score three goals and provide three assists, compared with the 11 goals he fired in during the 2018/19 season in the top-flight. The forward was not a guaranteed starter for a lot of the campaign with Parker handing him just 13 starts in total in the league.

It has already been reported that Roma are potentially interested in making a summer swoop for the forward, with new manager Jose Mourinho thought to be a fan of the Serbia international. That suggests that Fulham could face a difficult decision over the summer on what to do with the 26-year-old, who does have the potential to fire them to promotion if he stays.

Speaking to the media, ahead of Fulham's final game in the Premier League, Parker suggested that he believes that Mitrovic will be remaining at Craven Cottage even though he is being linked with a move away from the club this summer.

He said: "I see no reason why (Mitrovic would not be here next season).

"He's under contract. I'm not sure how long he has got but he's got a considerable amount of time on his contract. I don't see why that won't be the case."

The verdict

Keeping hold of Mitrovic would be a wise move really, as long as he remains fully committed to the club and Parker still has faith in his qualities. He is a player that is a class above the Championship and someone who defenders in the English second tier would be dreading the prospect of facing week in week out once again you would imagine.

The 26-year-old fired in 26 league goals in his 40 appearances in the 2019/20 campaign in the Championship and was a vital part of the reason why Fulham were able to make it into the top-six and clinch promotion. You would expect him to be firing in a lot of goals once again if he remains with the club and is given the chance to start for them.

Losing him would be a blow and he would take a lot of replacing. However, you can see why there would be interest from the likes of Roma because he is a player with the potential to perform in one of Europe's top leagues for sure. There will always be some question marks over why he was not played more by Parker this term considering the quality he could have brought to their attack.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/key-fulham-figure-addresses-aleksandar-mitrovics-future-amid-links-with-jose-mourinho-and-as-roma/

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Scott Parker responds when questioned over his future amid Tottenham Hotspur links

Fulham manager Scott Parker has insisted that he remains fully committed to the club despite their relegation from the Premier League and reports linking him with a move away from Craven Cottage.

Parker is a manager that still has a lot of credit in the bank in terms of the opinions of those outside of Fulham. That is despite him not being able to keep the club in the Premier League after a challenging start to the season. It has been reported that he is one of the names that he is under consideration for the job at his old club Tottenham Hotspur following Jose Mourinho's departure.

Fulham will be hoping that he can remain with them next season and try and repeat what he did in the 2019/20 campaign by taking them back into the Premier League at the first time of asking. Parker is a much better coach now for his year in the top-flight and if he remains at Craven Cottage then he could get them in strong contention for promotion.

Speaking to the media, ahead of Fulham's final game of the season against Newcastle, Parker insisted that he remains fully committed to the club and that his ambition is to help them continue to make progress over the coming years.

He said: "As always, I'm committed, I've been committed since day one.

"My aim is and my ambition is to make this football club as strong and as successful as possible.

"That will always be my ambition. That's never changed."

The verdict

This is positive news for Fulham and it suggests that Parker is wanting to remain with the club in the Championship next season and try and lead their quest to get back into the Premier League. That is something that could potentially be vital for them because they will want as little disruption as possible this summer and he is a coach that is still highly regarded.

It did seem that Parker might be someone that might have his head turned this summer considering that the likes of Tottenham might be interested in his services. However, it seems that he remains committed to trying to take the club back into the Premier League and then proving that he can help to keep them in the top-flight.

Parker should be able to get Fulham in strong contention to reach the Premier League next season. Having already guided them to promotion, he will have that experience under his belt and he is now a better coach having learned a lot in the top-flight this term.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-boss-scott-parker-responds-when-questioned-over-his-future-amid-tottenham-hotspur-links/

WhiteJC

Manager reveals talks to decide 'best way to go' for £10m man after tough time at Nottingham Forest

Anthony Knockaert spent the season on loan at Forest from Fulham, playing 34 times in the Championship for Chris Hughton's Reds

Fulham boss Scott Parker has revealed he will hold talks with Anthony Knockaert over his future.

The 29-year-old midfielder spent the season on loan at Nottingham Forest from the Premier League club, playing 34 times in the Championship for Chris Hughton's Reds.

"They're conversations that we'll have with them players who are out on loan. They're our players and they are under contract," Parker told West London Sport.

"We need to work out what exactly is the best way to go.

"That's a process that will take place in due course."

Knockaert only joined Fulham for £10m in July 2020.

It is unclear if he will be given a chance to revive his career at Craven Cottage next season, following their relegation from the Premier League, while a return to the City Ground cannot be ruled out despite his form not living up to expectation during this campaign.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/transfer-news/nottingham-forest-transfer-knockaert-fulham-5445358

WhiteJC

Fulham's interest in Adam Armstrong highlights financial disparity hindering Blackburn Rovers

Interest in Adam Armstrong is rife with Fulham now emerging on the radar of the Blackburn Rovers ace

The Premier League interest was inevitable. West Ham, Brighton, Newcastle; all outfits that require a goalscorer to supplement their limited attacking options.

If Adam Armstrong was to move this summer, the expectation is that it would be for an upgrade to the top flight. Fulham? Why would he want to go there? While the declaration of interest may come as a surprise to some, it just so happens to be a stark reminder of an increasingly tedious Championship cycle and a growing disparity between those who are capable of achieving promotion and those who dream of it.

There is a small hope that the Premier League will eventually have to admit that parachute payments, should Bournemouth achieve promotion, are distorting competition in the Championship, which with any luck would lead to a reduction in the fees that relegated clubs are to receive in the future. For now, that's unlikely and when Sheffield United, West Brom and Fulham return to the second tier next campaign, they'll possess a £40 million head start.

So Fulham, already backed by the wealthy Shahid Khan, are cushioned with an extra bow to their transfer kitty. Scott Parker has made no secret of their determination to re-establish themselves as Premier League regulars and investment is unlikely to cease until they have achieved that goal.

The Cottagers require a goalscorer. Aleksandr Mitrovic is seemingly set to depart and an instigator in Fulham's demise this season has been their final third inabilities. Who better to spearhead your promotion charge than a player who has just plundered in 29 goals for a side that finished bottom-half of the Championship table?

If Fulham were to emerge and issue a lucrative offer for Armstrong's services, could Blackburn Rovers refuse? The club are pretty stubborn that it would require £20m minimum to prise their star asset from Ewood. As we're all aware, in the midst of personnel upheaval, it would generate much-needed income that could be utilised in improving the playing squad. But on the same token, you're strengthening your rivals as they cherry-pick the very best in the division. It was an element to Norwich City's transfer policy that aided their promotion push, signing proven Championship experience in Jordan Hugill, Kieran Dowell and Ben Gibson.

It just serves to widen the divide. Both Tony Mowbray and Steve Waggott have understandably voiced their disapproval of parachute payments. But as we've said before, while it's a valid suggestion that competition can be skewed, it doesn't make promotion impossible. Thankfully the surge of Valerien Ismael's Barnsley has proven that. Swansea, too, have a relatively modest budget in comparison to their promotion rivals and the continual growth of Brentford shows the value in a long-term, self-sustainable model.

Ultimately the EFL are adamant parachute payments are at the heart of a growing financial imbalance and in response to the Premier League confirming they will extend their existing broadcast deals with their current media partners, the EFL released a statement that said extending the media deals 'will preserve the status quo of an unbalanced, unsustainable and unfair financial distribution model'.

The statement continued: "Championship clubs, in particular, face impossible economic pressures seeking to gain promotion to the Premier League, which has in turn led to untenable financial speculation and irrational behaviour.

"It is our strong view that parachute payments are not a form of solidarity and instead provide a reward for relegation while distorting competition. They should be halted, with the money instead reinvested for the ultimate benefit of the pool and our 72 members."

And Fulham's interest in Armstrong could be a prime example of Robin Hood going rogue, the rich stealing from the poor (well, less wealthy in this circumstance) and enlarging the quality divide. These are the obstacles that Rovers must overcome if they are to give themselves a chance of achieving their end goal of a Premier League return.

If Armstrong doesn't sign a new deal then our last hope is that a Premier League club whisks him away first.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/blackburn-rovers-armstrong-transfer-fulham-20655312

WhiteJC

Parker insists he's 'committed' to Fulham – and that Whites duo will be staying

Scott Parker says Fulham plan to keep Tim Ream and Aleksandar Mitrovic as they bid to escape the Championship again.

The Whites suffered the drop from the Premier League for the second time in three seasons long before Sunday's final game against Newcastle at Craven Cottage.

But boss Parker has revealed he has no intention of letting USA defender Ream go anywhere, nor striker Mitrovic, who has a glute problem and misses the Magpies match.

Ream got his first outing since October in the heartening 1-1 draw with Manchester United at Old Trafford on Tuesday.

The 33-year-old, with another season left on his contract, will be retained for the sixth year since joining from Bolton in 2015.

Parker said: "Tim's been nothing but a true professional, who deserves his opportunity, and when he got that against Man United has performed.

"Why he's performed is because of his everyday habits of being a top professional keeping himself as ready as he can be.

"Since I've been here, Tim has been vitally important. I get his disappointment this year at not playing so much, but he's someone I respect and no doubt can help us, and he's under contract."

Mitrovic has cut a forlorn figure this campaign as he failed to find the goals that won him the Championship Golden Boot in 2019-20.

But Parker is only too aware the type of job the Serbian international can do in the second tier.

Parker said: "Keeping Mitro? I see no reason why not.

"He's got a considerable amount of time on his contract (until 2024), and I don't see why that won't be the case."

"As for me, I'm committed, I've been committed since day one," Parker added with regard to speculation over his own future.

"My aim is and my ambition is to make this football club as strong and as successful as possible really. That will always be my ambition. That's never changed."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/parker-insists-hes-committed-to-fulham-and-that-whites-duo-will-be-staying

WhiteJC

Bruce aiming to finish difficult season on a high against Fulham

Newcastle manager Steve Bruce has warned his side to avoid being caught by a sucker punch on the final day of the season, as his side travel to relegated Fulham.

Bruce's side have had it tough this season, going through a spell of two wins in 19 league matches which put the northeast club right in the thick of a relegation scrap.

However, with Sunday's fixture looking at one point like a final-day relegation showdown, 13 points out of their last 21 has ensured that Newcastle will be able to travel to Craven Cottage in comfort.

However, Bruce is not expecting the Fulham match to be an easy one: "Look at Sheffield United being relegated and all of a sudden before they came to us, they'd won two out of four where they hadn't won two for six months. The pressure's off, go and enjoy it.

"We saw Brighton the other day go and beat the champions, we've seen Southampton put their best run together in the last month or so. It's part and parcel of it.

"But I'll do my utmost to make sure that we try our best to get on to 45 points and keep the season going just one more time. Then it would be a really, really smashing end to the season that we've just had.

"Just recently, just when we needed it, when we'd really come under the pump, we've produced form which has put us into the top six or seven on current form, which is terrific for the team. I'm delighted with the way they've responded."

The Magpies have Arsenal loanee Joe Willock to thank for their change in fortunes, having scored in six consecutive league appearances.

However, Bruce believes that the midfielder has done "too well" at Newcastle, making it difficult for the loan to become permanent.

Despite a testing campaign at St James' Park, Bruce is planning for the future, discussing his plans in the upcoming transfer window.

He said: "I think we need at least three or four. But for me now, it's adding that bit of quality to the squad.

"It's a really, really difficult competition we're in, but certainly if we added three or four players to the current squad we've got – and adding that bit of quality is the most important thing for me."

https://www.football365.com/news/bruce-aiming-to-finish-season-on-high-at-fulham

WhiteJC

Scott Parker has "a million percent learned" from Fulham season

Scott Parker says he has "a million percent learned" from Fulham's Premier League campaign, even though it has ended in relegation.

Fulham, who take on the team they at one point looked likely to catch, Newcastle, in their final game of the season on Sunday, saw their return to the Championship confirmed with three games left.

Parker's side started the season looking destined for the drop, conceding 10 goals in their opening three matches, but over the winter they managed to close a 10-point gap to safety to just two points behind the then 17th-placed Magpies.

However, a run of just one point from seven games following their shock win at Liverpool in early March sealed their fate.

"A million percent I've learned," Parker said ahead of the Newcastle clash. "I'm always going to learn. That's the way it is.

"I hear people often talking about inexperience of managers or players even – 'There is not a lot of experience, they are still learning'.

"But the day I stop learning is probably the day I stop doing this job. It was the same as a player. At 34 years of age, with 400-odd appearances in the Premier League, I was still learning.

"There were still things coming to me that I didn't remember or I had never seen before. That's going to be the same in anyone's walk of life.

"Of course experience gives you more, of course it does. You can revert back to them. But the world is evolving so quick.

"If you are surprised by the latest gadget that's out or the new training technique, the new whatever, then that's the day you stand still.

"I learned a lot this year, like I learned a lot last year. But I think that will forever be the case to be honest with you."

Fulham have relied heavily on loan players this term, signing seven over the course of the campaign, all of whom have played prominent roles, with Joachim Andersen acting as stand-in captain for the majority of the season due to Tom Cairney's lengthy injury lay-off.

Another stand-out loanee was goalkeeper Alphonse Areola, who arrived from Paris St Germain. He has made 116 saves, keeping nine clean sheets, in the league, and his form has even earned him a recall to the France squad.

"He's been absolutely superb, a top keeper, unbelievable goalie on the pitch in what you see, an elite athlete, an elite professional," Parker said of the 28-year-old.

"You can tell instantly the calibre of players and clubs he's been around, the way he acts and the ways he holds himself.

"We've given the loan players here a platform, improved them, given them the game time they needed. They've done very well for us, they'll leave here feeling in a good place."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/scott-parker-has-a-million-percent-learned-from-fulham-season_448636.html?newsnow

WhiteJC

Man City U18 3-1 Fulham U18

Fulham Under-18s suffered National Final defeat, losing 3-1 to northern division winners Manchester City at their Academy Stadium on Saturday.

Steve Wigley named an unchanged side after their impressive win at Chelsea to clinch the title. Defender Jay Williams was out with illness.

The hosts came out of the gates strong and found the lead within just three minutes. Sam Edozie fired home after latching onto a Juan Larios cross at the back post.

Things soon went from bad to worse for Steve Wigley's side, when Carlos Borges converted from close range to double City's lead seven minutes in.

The home side thought they'd grabbed a penalty soon after, with Edozie taking a tumble after sprinting down the right-hand side. The referee was quick to wave away the City appeals.

The young Cityzens were moving the ball around well and Larios fired an effort just wide of the post on the 20-minute mark, after a lovely move.

Ollie O'Neill found some space down the left a couple of minutes later, but his searching cross was bundled out for a corner before it could reach Mika Biereth.

The biggest chance for Fulham came on 36 minutes. Jay Stansfield's low cross found O'Neill whose low, hard shot was smothered by goalkeeper Ciaran Slicker.

Alex Borto was tested up the other end immediately after, making an excellent diving catch to deny City a third.

City added that third nonetheless and on the brink of half-time, when Oscar Bobb tucked it home after a neat one-two with Borges.

The young Whites started the second half well and grabbed themselves a goal back on 48 minutes. Substitute Luke Harris was brought down in the penalty area and captain Adrion Pajaziti made no mistake, tucking his strike into the bottom corner.

Borto came to the rescue for his side straight after, making a fantastic block to deny Romeo Lavia, who was clean through.

Fulham were finding a lot of their success down the right, with Biereth and O'Neill at the forefront. The latter tried to find Harris at the back post, but defender Shea Charles stepped in to head clear.

Borto made yet another brilliant save with 10 minutes to play. Edozie got past Idris Odutayo with some tricky stepovers, but his shot was blocked by our American stopper, who was at full stretch.

Harris thought he'd grabbed a second soon after. O'Neill's cross sailed over Slicker, but the midfielder couldn't quite jump high enough to head home.

The young Whites pushed and pushed but soon ran out of time. An excellent season for our youngsters, who clinched back-to-back league titles. Despite the result, they can enjoy their break with their heads held high.

Fulham U18: Borto, Bowat, Odutayo, Parkes (Araujo 78'), D'Auria-Henry, Stansfield, O'Neill, Pajaziti, Dibley Dias (Lanquedoc 82'), Biereth, Bowie (Harris 42')

Subs: Araujo, Harris, Lanquedoc, Olakigbe, Sanderson

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/may/Man-City-U18-3-1-Fulham-U18/

WhiteJC

Fulham coach confirms three Nigerian players will depart the club at season's end

Fulham coach Scott Parker has confirmed that all the loan players presently at the club will be leaving the Cottagers at the end of the 2020-2021 season, meaning tomorrow's game against Newcastle United at Craven Cottage will be their final match.

Fulham signed seven players on loan including Nigeria internationals Ola Aina and Josh Maja as well as Super Eagles hopeful Ademola Lookman from Torino, Bordeaux and RB Leipzig respectively.

Parker has stressed that none of the loanees has an obligatory purchase clause included in the loan agreement with Fulham.

Aina and Maja's deals have an option to buy set at €10 million and €12.5 million respectively but Fulham have no plans to activate the clause following their demotion to the Championship.

Asked at Friday's press conference if it will be the loanees' last match for the club against Newcastle United, Parker responded : "I think so, yes. I think that will probably be the case, there is no player here on loan that has an automatic buy so the players will probably be leaving the football club this present moment in time.

"We'll then look to go over the summer and work out where we're going to go from there really."

One of Fulham's standout players in their dismal season, Lookman recorded 34 appearances in all competitions, Aina played 33 matches and Maja 14.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=39945

WhiteJC

Areola Named Player of the Season

Alphonse Areola has been voted by the fans as Fulham's 2020/21 Player of the Season.

It was a three-horse race throughout, with Areola, Joachim Andersen and Harrison Reed claiming 89.4 per cent of all votes cast.

Reed came in third with 22.1 per cent, Andersen second with 31.2, while Areola claimed the trophy by taking 36.1 per cent of the ballot.

The Frenchman has played every minute in all but one of our Premier League fixtures and, at the time of writing, has nine clean sheets to his name.

Only four goalkeepers have made more than Areola's 116 saves in the league this season, with a number of those absolutely spectacular.

Asked if he had a message for the fans who voted for him, Areola said: "I'm really, really grateful for the support. I just want to say thank you to them.

"I tried to give my best this year and it's a real achievement for me to get this title. It shows that I've done good work, so I'm happy about that.

"I've won some Player of the Months at clubs, and Player of the Season with FIFA, but this is different.

"I just want to say thank you, but I'm not the only one who has had a big season, so I'm really proud to receive this.

"I hope that the team will be back in the Premier League soon!"

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/may/Areola-Named-Player-of-the-Season/

WhiteJC

Sir Alex Ferguson says manager reportedly wanted by Spurs is so 'good' and doing a 'great job'

Reported Tottenham Hotspur target Scott Parker has been praised by Sir Alex Ferguson, who believes the 40-year-old has been doing a "great job".

Spurs parted company with Jose Mourinho last month and their search for a new permanent head coach rumbles on.

Plenty of names have been linked with the Tottenham job in recent weeks, from veteran managers such as Rafael Benitez to younger coaches like Parker.

According to The Athletic, the former Spurs midfielder has won admirers at Spurs for his progressive style of play and faith in young players.

Parker earned plenty of plaudits when he steered Fulham to Premier League promotion last season via the Championship playoffs.

However, he wasn't able to keep them up in the top flight, as a late-season collapse – one point from seven games – saw them relegated with three fixtures left.

Despite slipping back into the Championship at the first attempt, Ferguson is nonetheless impressed with Parker's efforts at Craven Cottage.

"I think the boy Parker at Fulham has done a great job," the Manchester United legend said on SPORTbible.

"I've watched them a lot and they keep playing their football. They don't change. They stick with the beliefs of their manager and I think that's a great indication of how good he is."

TBR View:

As far as plaudits go, being praised by Sir Alex Ferguson is right up there with the biggest badges of honour.

Fulham will be heavy favourites to come back up next season, but in terms of the Spurs job, you can't help but wonder if now is too soon for him.

There's a big rebuilding job that needs doing at Tottenham which has to be juggled with intense pressure of aiming for the European places, so maybe someone a little more experienced might be best for the job.

https://tbrfootball.com/sir-alex-ferguson-says-manager-reportedly-wanted-by-spurs-is-so-good-and-doing-a-great-job/

WhiteJC

Manager previously on Sheffield United's radar now linked with West Brom move – currently earning £2.5million-a-year

Former Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic is a 'possibility' for West Brom, as the Baggies prepare for another season in the Championship.

West Brom suffered relegation from the Premier League under Sam Allardyce. The one-time England boss is set to leave The Hawthorns and The Sun on Sunday (23.05.21, pg.59) have linked a host of managers with the job.

The standout candidate on that list is former Sheffield United boss Chris Wilder – the Blades have been managerless since his departure but were at one point being closely linked with Jokanovic.

Now managing in Qatar, Jokanovic has guided both Watford and Fulham to promotion from the Championship and Alan Nixon writes that he's a 'possibility' for the Baggies as they ready for the Championship.

The Serb, 52, left Fulham back in 2018 and has been with Al-Gharafa since 2019, and was previously reported to be earning a staggering £2.5million-a-year with the club.

https://the72.co.uk/236704/manager-previously-on-sheffield-uniteds-radar-now-linked-with-west-brom-move-currently-earning-2-5million-a-year/

WhiteJC

Financial details involving Sheffield United, West Brom and Fulham come to light after recent events

The soon to be Sky Bet Championship trio of Sheffield United, West Brom and Fulham are set to receive significant financial windfalls in the form of parachute payments, with The Athletic laying bare how much each relegated side will receive.

As has been the norm for many a year now, the Premier League's three relegated sides will receive substantial payments as a result of falling into the Championship.

This is a transaction that is not only controversial in many ways but also one which isn't wanted by the Football League and it's 72 clubs at present.

According to the aforementioned report by The Athletic, the Blades are set to receive three separate payments of  £45 million, £35 million and £15 million over the course of the next three seasons.

Whilst West Brom and Fulham by comparison will only be given £45 million and £35 million as a result of spending a season less in the Premier League than the Bramall Lane club in more recent times.

Meanwhile the likes of Bournemouth and Huddersfield Town are also in line to receive payments after recently being involved in the top flight.

The Verdict

It has long been debated that failure should not be rewarded with this scale of financial windfall and as a result of this I have to agree that the whole concept is pretty insane.

The scheme wrongly gives the three relegated sides a clear advantage over the other 21 clubs in the Championship and I for one hope that this will be stopped or at the very least be reduced so that there is more of a level playing field in the second tier on a financial front.

The Blades should be up there for promotion anyway if they can keep the majority of the current squad together, whilst I also expect the same from the Baggies and the Whites.

In the meantime, securing a new manager will be at the forefront of everyone's minds at Bramall Lane, as they are in desperate need of a new lease of life after what has been a disastrous campaign.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/financial-details-involving-sheffield-united-west-brom-and-fulham-come-to-light-after-recent-events/

WhiteJC

Premier League 2020-21 fans' verdicts,

Fulham
So much huff and puff, so little end product. When Burnley end up scoring more goals at Craven Cottage in 2021 than us, you know something isn't right. It was all summed up by the sad capitulation at Villa in April – a goal up with 13 minutes left, 3-1 down at the final whistle. Scott Parker has done reasonably well with the tools at his disposal (there's a gag there somewhere) and even had to introduce a totally new rearguard with the season already underway, but ultimately he, and the players, fell short. Thanks to our owners for building the new stand: just a shame we don't have the footballing set-up to match that foresight and ambition. 3/10

Stars/flops Loanees Areola and Anderson have shone but are unlikely to stay now. Harrison Reed should, at least. Loftus-Cheek has worked diligently while producing very little. Still got picked, though, unlike Mitrovic. What's the full story there, I wonder?

What needs to happen this summer? Surely the whole recruitment process needs a thorough shake-up? The last thing the club needs is yet another squad overhaul but that's precisely what we'll get because of all the loanees jumping ship. So much for effective evolution and the development of a squad structure and team understanding. Get Carvalho on a decent contract, and quick.

What made you smile? Marcus Rashford forcing the government into making more U-turns than a disoriented cabbie. We also had a wry smile about beating both Liverpool and Everton at a time when us fans weren't allowed to attend. But the biggest joke of the season was, of course, VAR. We won't miss it.

David Lloyd toofif.co.uk @DMLTOOFIF

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/may/23/premier-league-2020-21-fans-verdicts-part-one-arsenal-to-leicester

WhiteJC

Predicted Newcastle team vs Fulham – TWO changes & a Premier League debut?

With today's final day clash with Fulham just a few hours away, it's time to predict the starting 11 Steve Bruce will go with at Craven Cottage come 4pm.

Keeping form, injuries and our midweek win over Sheffield United in mind, here's the side I can see him selecting and why:

(5-3-2): Gillespie – Murphy, Schar, Fernandez, Dummett, Ritchie – Willock, Shelvey (c), Almiron – Saint-Maximin, Joelinton.

Dubravka and Krafth OUT? – Gillespie and Schar IN?

Dubravka may well make it, but I see no point in risking a player who clearly tweaked his hamstring just a few days ago. One goal kick struck slightly wrong and he's out of the Euros, so let's give former Academy graduate Mark Gillespie his Premier League debut?

In defence, Krafth has actually done little wrong since coming in, helping us to a clean sheet in midweek and scoring against City, however he's not a centre-back and one of our best ones is available again in Fabian Schar. He'd been out for a while before his ban and will want minutes before the Euros – not to mention the fact he's well suited to a five-man defence.

Elsewhere, it sounds like ASM will be ok to play – a player we can't really do without when Wilson is missing – however it remains to be seen if Elliot Anderson will feature. It would be nice to see our best U23 get his Premier League debut – especially when Bruce denied him a Championship loan move to give him exactly that!

If he's not involved, hopefully we see a glimpse of forgotten man Matty Longstaff for the first time since January, with him being another local lad in need of game time.

https://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2021/05/23/predicted-newcastle-team-vs-fulham-two-changes-a-premier-league-debut/

WhiteJC

The day Rafa Benitez's Newcastle United set the bar for Steve Bruce
Newcastle United ended their campaign on the banks of the River Thames two years ago.

It was a memorable afternoon. The Putney End was filled with Newcastle United fans, hundreds of whom had arrived on flotilla of boats, and a comfortable and convincing win 4-0 win over relegated Fulham at a sunny Craven Cottage seemingly promised a bright future

Yet two of the club's scorers – Salomon Rondon and Ayoze Perez – would soon be gone, and, more significantly, the manager – Rafa Benitez – also left that summer.

Supporters had implored Benitez to stay at the club during the game.

They chanted "Rafa Benitez, we want you to stay", but his mind was all but made up before the team had even arrived at the stadium following 18 months of wrangling over transfer funds with owner Mike Ashley.

The team ended that season in 13th place with 45 points. United, under Steve Bruce, can emulate that feat with a win over Fulham, relegated again, this afternoon.

There won't be any away fans inside Craven Cottage this time. And if there were, they wouldn't be imploring Bruce, booed in midweek, to stay. The team hasn't progressed, overall, since Bruce took charge, despite a net spend of around £100million.

That said, the team has, unquestionably, progressed over the past couple of months – and assistant manager Graeme Jones deserves credit for the part he has played in the club's turnaround since arriving in late January.

Can Bruce's side sign off with a similarly positive performance – and give fans some hope of further progression next season?

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/the-day-rafa-benitezs-newcastle-united-set-the-bar-for-steve-bruce-3247002

WhiteJC

NUFC activate contract clause to hand unsung hero 1 extra year – 2 done, 3 to sign & 3 to leave?

According to The Chronicle, Newcastle United have now activated a clause in Paul Dummett's contract to keep him on Tyneside for another year.

The 29-year-old was at risk of leaving on a free transfer this summer, however it's emerged that we have now made a move that will keep at the club until 2022.

Dummett becomes the second defender to be handed an automatic extension, with The Chronicle reporting back in March that Fabian Schar's deal – which was also due to expire next month – has also been renewed by a further year.

So, that's two down on the contract front, but there's a few more big decisions that must be made between now and the end of next month.

Dwight Gayle is expected to sign a three-year deal – although it's taking an age for that to be officially announced – while it's been reported that Jacob Murphy and Federico Fernandez both have clauses in their contract that look set to be triggered – if they haven't been already!

Andy Carroll, Christian Atsu and Henri Saivet will all be free agent at the end of June, and it seems almost certain the big striker with join the Ghanaian winger and forgotten Senegalese midfielder in being released – freeing up space on the wage bill and space in the squad.

https://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2021/05/23/nufc-activate-contract-clause-ahead-of-final-day-clash-with-fulham-2-down-3-to-sign-3-to-leave/

WhiteJC

Newcastle suffer Allan Saint-Maximin injury blow before Fulham clash

Newcastle United have suffered a potentially huge blow ahead of their Premier League clash against Fulham on Sunday afternoon, with big question marks over Allan Saint-Maximin's injury status.

The former Nice winger was forced off with less than 20 minutes to go of the Magpies' 1-0 win over Sheffield United last time out, and speaking in his pre-match press conference, Bruce confirmed that the winger is a major doubt for the trip to the Cottagers today.

The manager said: "Saint-Maximin, we don't know if he's got a calf (injury), or whether it's a kick as well. We'll see how he is."

When asked if the Frenchman's injury was serious, Bruce added: "We hope not. It looked a bit innocuous, but whether it's a strain, or whether it's a kick, he's not quite sure, so we'll see how he is in the next 24 or 48 hours."

The winger was in fantastic form against the Blades last time out, and as per Sofascore, his 8.1 match rating was the highest of any player on the pitch. He completed an incredible 15 of his 16 dribbles on the night and also won 19 of his 24 duels, and it was no surprise that he came in for some rave reviews after the game.

The Shields Gazette's Liam Kennedy, who gave him an eight in his player ratings, wrote: "What a player. He's turned up with the want to entertain. Some unbelievable runs from all over the park. Quiet in the last two games – not this time around. Shame he picked up an injury to end his night."

Aside from the fact that fans might be gutted at missing out on seeing him one final time this season, there's also the very real prospect that Saint-Maximin may have actually played his last game for the club.

Speaking on talkSPORT earlier this week, the Frenchman said: "I have to be honest, sometimes you have to think about yourself. The most important thing is the team, of course, but you have to think sometimes about your future and that's why I say I don't want to fight for one more year to be safe.

"So I hope we try to do everything to have more ambition and to win a trophy and fight for the first place, it can be great."

Unless the Magpies enjoy the kind of summer transfer window which convinces Saint-Maximin that the club has the right "ambition" to match his own, he could be on his way out, and that would mean Newcastle fans have already seen the last of the dazzling Frenchman in a black and white shirt.

They will be hoping that his injury is nothing too serious, and even more importantly, that he stays for the long-term rather than jumping ship over the summer.

https://www.footballfancast.com/newcastle-united-news/newcastle-united-allan-saint-maximin-steve-bruce-fulham-premier-league-team-news-injury-predicted-xi-lineup-st-james-park

WhiteJC

Fulham fans comments ahead of Newcastle – Plenty to say despite relegation already done

Fulham fans will be present to see the last rites of this Premier League season played out on Sunday afternoon.

Newcastle United the visitors at Craven Cottage in what was billed as a potential relegation clincher for so long.

In the event, these last nine matches have seen seven defeats and two draws as the survival hopes of Fulham fans were swiftly extinguished in the final stretch.

Fulham go into this final game of the season in 18th spot, 11 points adrift of 17th positioned Burnley, 14 points behind Newcastle 15th.

Due to building work at Craven Cottage, a restricted 2,000 Fulham fans will be in attendance.

Ahead of playing this final match against Newcastle, the Fulham fans have still had plenty to say despite their season being over.

Interesting to see them giving credit to Graeme Jones for the relative improvement in results late in the season, rather than Steve Bruce.

The main debate though is all about two former Newcastle United players, with Fulham fans discussing / arguing the relative merits of Scott Parker and Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Many Fulham fans think the media have given Scott Parker an easy ride (something which Newcastle fans can identify with when it comes to Steve Bruce), whilst the idea of Mitro set to leave but Parker staying, is obviously something that many of them wouldn't choose.

Looking from the outside, Fulham's season has been very much one of playing a lot of decent attractive football but failing once they get near the opposition goal, how much of that is the fault of Scott Parker and / or Mitrovic (3 goals in 27 PL appearances this season, 13 starts and 14 sub appearances), is one for the Fulham fans to argue about for some time.

A deserved point at Old Trafford in midweek points to maybe what might have been, though at no point in the season did Fulham and Scott Parker find a way to score goals regularly.

Fulham fans comment via their FulhamWeb message board:

'I expect them to lose to a much improved Newcastle side. Regret to see that Parker is staying.'

'Lets hope the team want to prove a point and beat Newcastle. Lets show them that on our day, we aren't the 3rd worst in the league. Well done to the Bees winning today and there's no reason why we cant end the season on a high.'

'Don't expect anything. Parker clueless.'

'Next week 7 of the team will leave for their home clubs. Do you expect passion from them when they have been so poor since Anfield.'

'That is not strictly true as we have an option to buy a number of them and we can take that option up before they leave.'

Of the seven, keep three tops, the rest can go, we have just as good players out on loan we can Dominate championship next season hard part is the following season.'

'In my opinion, Scott Parker will not or is unable to change.

We will continue to weave pretty patterns in our own half until we lose or give away the ball.

Slow predictable build up with no end product.

We do not want expensive loanees who are not particularly interested in playing for us.

With Mitrovic leaving, because of Parker we need to find a mobile striker who can score goals as well as having footballing skills.'

'If clubs are really after Parker, what are his credentials. He dresses well, he speaks well, he comes up with very convincing augments for why we have not won a game. He is polite to the press, does not slag off his players or the club. He does not lose his temper and is calm and relaxed about everything. He sounds like a perfect manager apart from the fact he does not improve or inspire the players to a level high enough to play consistently well.'

'Mitro would score 30 goals for us next season if we played to his strengths.

He won't be here so where are the goals coming from.

A new player perhaps. Some one proven like the Blackburn guy (Adam Armstrong) for 20 mil. Maybe but risky. You can never be sure and Blackburn have learnt to play to his strengths.'

'Look at 90% of the shots of the crowd these days.. all on their phones. Obsessed we are. We can't live two minutes without some kind of social media dopamine hit.'

'Just who is getting a seat for the Sunday relegation party?'

'Why bother to go and see Parkerball lose another home game 2-0.

Pointless! Taking the p.ss out of the intelligence of our magnificent supporters.'

'Newcastle are playing flowing football and have found freedom.

They did so by bringing in a new coach.

Parker and Bruce are peas in a pod.

Bore everyone to death and try and win 1-0.'

'With our home record I predict an easy 3-1 win for Newcastle which represents real progress for us, scoring a goal at home. Parker and Wells, dumb and dumber. Nice coats though.'

'Three more wins and we would have been going into Sundays game, where beating Newcastle might keep us up.'

'We all know how we have been cheated out of results against Sheffield United, Newcastle, Arsenal and Burnley away, and home games against Liverpool, Spurs, Wolves, Brighton and Chelsea.'

'I should not to state a truism but it as truism, the table never lies. In the second half against Man U we looked determined and played in a positive way. If we had played like that all season we would have finished mid table. Scott Parker could not consistently get the team to play at its best, which is what a minor team in this league needs to do.'

'Well if its true that Mitro is leaving, this is one of the biggest mistakes this club has ever made apart from letting the khans buy the club. Mitro has done more for Fulham than SP has ever done, a proven international goal scorer and yet not good enough for SP and now I see Jose Mourinho wants him at Roma, you just could not make this up.'

'I think when Parker said we need to think long term, he's thinking Mitro is not the player he wants, albeit in the short term, he can get us out of the championship.

I think we'd all agree the way Parker wants to play, it does not suit Mitro.

Parker doesn't like crosses as it increases your chance of losing the ball by 50%.

He prefers possession in our own half until a path way is found, which means he needs a striker with pace and prepared to work hard (not Mitro).'

'Parker is a nothing manager without Mitro.

Mitro got us into the premiership not Parker.

When Mitro goes Parker will be found out how useless he is. Mitro will always be a goal machine while Parker will always be a nothing manager.'

'Pity he couldn't score any to keep us there. Have you considered the possibility that Parker didn't play him because he is not a premier League player? If he was then why were Newcastle willing to let him go.'

'Well at least we all know that Mitro will be leaving is official, as he has now stated it in the press, not that we couldn't see this coming a mile off. Also although he has been offered, according to the press, a club abroad, he has apparently said that he and his family have settled down here in London, and he would rather go to another London club, and it is understood that West Ham are showing an interest. Wouldn't it be ironic, if he did go there and David Moyes turned him into a scoring machine. Wherever he goes, I would like to wish him the best of luck, and a big thank you, for what you have done for our club, and he will always be a legend in Fulham's history, and those 26 goals last season, will never be forgotten. Bless you Mitro and good luck in the future.'

https://www.themag.co.uk/2021/05/fulham-fans-comments-ahead-of-newcastle-plenty-to-say-despite-relegation-already-done-newcastle-united/