more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thank You, Kev

Started by Friendsoffulham, June 03, 2021, 07:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

THANK YOU, KEV!

Kevin McDonald's Fulham contract will expire at the end of June.

Nothing short of a modern legend, McDonald has enjoyed tremendous success during his five years as a Fulham player, helping the Club to achieve two memorable promotions.

A regular at the base of the Whites midfield, McDonald came third in the Player of the Year vote in each of his first two seasons, and was a key component as the team evolved into serious promotion contenders.

Kevin McDonald with the Play-Off Final trophy in 2018
Excellent at breaking up opposition attacks but also highly capable of beginning moves for his own team, McDonald's role was vital in a Fulham side that showed remarkable progress, culminating in a Club record 23 game unbeaten run en route to the 2017/18 Championship Play-Offs.

His stunning goal against Millwall in that run will never be forgotten, but neither will his super scrappy effort in stoppage time away to Barnsley.

A phenomenal leader on the pitch, the same can be said of McDonald's influence off it, so much so that Club Captain Tom Cairney shared the trophy lift with his teammate at Wembley following our victory over Aston Villa.

He may not have played as often in our subsequent promotion two years later, but he remained an important part of the group, and still contributed 18 appearances in 2019/20.

The character of the man was demonstrated recently when he revealed that he has been battling a kidney condition throughout his entire career.

We were delighted to learn that both Kev and his brother are doing well following a successful kidney transplant last week, and continue to wish them both the best in their recovery.

McDonald departs Fulham as one of our most universally popular players in recent years, scoring six goals in 128 appearances. Everyone at the Club would like to offer their gratitude and wish the best of luck to Kev in whatever he does next.

He will always be welcome at Craven Cottage.

"I've absolutely loved it," Kev replied when asked how he'll look back on his time at the Club. "Every minute of my day-to-day life at Fulham has been great.

"Of course there's been ups and downs, but that's part of football; if you can't accept the downs then you're in the wrong sport.

"But I've really enjoyed it, and I think that's shown in the person I've been and the player I've been."

The 2017/18 campaign will go down among the most enjoyable in our history, one that McDonald was integral to.

"It was unbelievable, but what I will say is I actually really enjoyed my first season," he said.

"It was such a good move for me, and it kind of changed my life, changed the way I played football, so I've got fond memories.

"Coming into the Club and playing that style of football and learning to play that attacking, free-flowing football was just unbelievable.

"We didn't start off well and there were so many doubters out there but we stuck to our principles and, over time, it paid off.

"We got better and better and yeah it was disappointment at the end [against Reading], of course it was, but we went into the 17/18 season full of confidence, thinking 'we're going up here.'

"The failure drove us on, and playing that second season was just unbelievable, especially that second part of the season where we were going into every game knowing we'd win.

"The feeling was just amazing, and for me personally, it was great. I was a huge part of the team and enjoying playing in a good football team, at a great club."

A phenomenally likeable player, and person, McDonald was immediately taken to the hearts of the Fulham Faithful.

It's something that's not been lost on the big man: "They've been absolutely top drawer with me, especially through these times now.

"They've been absolutely incredible, their support for myself and my family has been amazing. From start to finish they've been brilliant.

"Even when I've not been playing they've been amazing. Throughout the course of it they've always wanted me to be in the team and they've been a huge part of the Club for me.

"I'll be forever grateful for them. All the love they've shown to me and my family, it's been amazing.

"There's no real word for things like that, but my connection with the fans has just been brilliant and I'm sure it will be forever."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/june/Thank-You-Kev-/

rebel

Hope he makes a full recovery and can play again at the same level, won't be easy, but he can do it. Wish him well.

His surging run and goal against Millwall was one of the best that season.

MaidenheadMick

Sad day for all FFC supporters. One of the best. Good luck Big Man, you'll be missed.

bog

Very sorry to see Kevin go. I was hoping for a coaching position for him. Good luck Kev.  :54:

092.gif 

love4ffc

Glad to hear that Kev and his brother are doing well.  If he does not continue to play at some level somewhere then I hope he comes back to FFC as coach at some level. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Fernhurst

Remember the first time saw him play for Wolves against us at The Cottage, awesome performance. Absolutely thrilled when we signed him and not once did he let us down.
Wishing you and your family the very best for the future you deserve it.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

MartyFFC

He was fantastic in our promotion season under Joka; still fondly remember celebrating his 25-yarder in the away end at the Den

Jims Dentist

All the very best Kevin.
My favourite player in our first recent promotion side.

LC

He's been a good servant to the club, he will be missed. Hopefully he can return eventually at some kind of coaching role in the club.

RaySmith

Quote from: MaidenheadMick on June 03, 2021, 07:38:24 PM
Sad day for all FFC supporters. One of the best. Good luck Big Man, you'll be missed.

:plus one:

Dodgin

Best wishes and continuing good health

Twig

Quote from: love4ffc on June 03, 2021, 09:21:05 PM
Glad to hear that Kev and his brother are doing well.  If he does not continue to play at some level somewhere then I hope he comes back to FFC as coach at some level. 

:plus one:

The Swan

Who made the decision to let him leave this club.
He would do a great job of scouting as he knows what to look for in good young players.
It will be a shame if he never returns to Fulham. we shall miss him.
Good luck Kevin.
The Swan

bill taylors apprentice

If he's hoping to continue playing, then very best of luck to him.
If not, a suitable position within the club must be found for him.

HV71

Can't say thank you enough to someone who has given so much to the club and the fans. Total professional , a real leader and a brave man . Will never forget that promotion season with such a brilliant midfield  - what a 23 match run and what entertainment ! What a goal against Milwall!
Take care big man - would love to see you back someday