watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Watching Engerland

Started by bog, June 07, 2021, 09:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

I watched the two National League play off games, Notts County v Chesterfield and Hartlepool United v Bromley. Two great matches with all teams giving everything to the end. In the second game near the final whistle a Hartlepool player was subbed as he was totally exhausted. Then I watched Engerland and regularly yawned with boredom.  :016:

Thank you and good night.

092.gif   

ALG01

Quote from: bog on June 07, 2021, 09:22:49 AM
I watched the two National League play off games, Notts County v Chesterfield and Hartlepool United v Bromley. Two great matches with all teams giving everything to the end. In the second game near the final whistle a Hartlepool player was subbed as he was totally exhausted. Then I watched Engerland and regularly yawned with boredom.  :016:

Thank you and good night.

092.gif

In a secret life I apart from being a fulham fan i keep an eye on Sutrton so lost sight of the play offs when sutton were promoted.

I saw a few games on TV from the championship and whilst the quality isn't quite there, the entertainment is imense and usually the full on comitment is brilliant.

At the top level, the games have become sterile and full of players cheating their way through 90 minutes. falling over every two seconds, feigning injury to break up the momentum of the opposition and general not showing any level of sportsmanship.  So an international friendly prior to a tournament was never going to be an excitment fest. I missed the romania game for family reasons but based on what i heard it lived upo to expectations as a snooze fest.

By the way. I had thought, Hartlepool might go up in first position but they blew it as did torquay. About time sutton moved up the pecking order, I hope it isn't just a one season wonder for them. There is much to commend the lower leagues for entetainment, but my heart remains at the cottage.

filham

I watched the England friendly last night and again was disappointed. Was this really international football ?, no it wasn't it was a couple of scratch teams playing a match while the top players were rested but even so we expected better than we were given.
England playing at home have scored a goal and a penalty in their two pre tournament friendlies, will we top the qualifying group, not on this form.

Premiership football is generally of good quality but in the old days, when players were on a maximum wage of £20 per week, the game was so much more exciting to watch. If you are not old enough to have seen Haynes, Jezzard and Robson in the Fulham line up you can't dispute that statement.

alfie

I found it a bit odd playing 2 warm up games for a tournament starting on Friday with players that are not even in the squad.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Holders

For me, the missed penalty compensated for the soft one that was given.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Woolly Mammoth

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 What a miserable lot of old codgers you are, all ready to be placed in an old people's home for sad old gits. You really want to take a good look at yourselves 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 07, 2021, 11:53:04 AM
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 What a miserable lot of old codgers you are, all ready to be placed in an old people's home for sad old gits. You really want to take a good look at yourselves 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
I will plead guilty to an accusation of being a grumpy old man but the football produced by those players wearing an England shirt in the last two internationals is not helping to cure my condition.

grandad

I certainly won´t be watching England in the Euros. Load of overpaid prima donnas. Not worthy of being on the World stage.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Penfold

Quote from: grandad on June 07, 2021, 04:17:33 PM
I certainly won´t be watching England in the Euros. Load of overpaid prima donnas. Not worthy of being on the World stage.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the team, but it is a major championship so will be watching and hoping.

Happy to watch prima donna players at Fulham? We've had a fair few recently!

Logicalman

Quote from: filham on June 07, 2021, 04:12:09 PM
I will plead guilty to an accusation of being a grumpy old man but the football produced by those players wearing an England shirt in the last two internationals is not helping to cure my condition.

:plus one:

I can understand that the warm up games were solely for the purpose of determining which 11 players should start and which players should make the squad (as the commentator mentioned - though I thought the cut-off was June 1), but the actual play was less than enthusiastic and, at times, was dire. Hopefully there will a change in attitude next Sunday, or we might just finish outside the top three (or even just get beaten by the Scots), and then be looking for a new manager the following day!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

bobby01

Southgate seems to me to play for set pieces to score from.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

bog

If my posting of my opinion on the way England play sees you flag me as a miserable old git then I am. I read one pundit suggested that galloping Grealish could be the next Gasgoine, if so I will be the next  Zinedine Zidane. Oh and Southgate has named Ben White as the replacement for TA-A. So James Ward-Prowse doesn't go.  :016:

092.gif     

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on June 07, 2021, 06:42:24 PM

If my posting of my opinion on the way England play sees you flag me as a miserable old git then I am. I read one pundit suggested that galloping Grealish could be the next Gasgoine, if so I will be the next  Zinedine Zidane. Oh and Southgate has named Ben White as the replacement for TA-A. So James Ward-Prowse doesn't go.  :016:

092.gif     

I do not necessary agree with Southgates selection but nevertheless do not be too hard on yourself. I can confirm there are many grump young and old grumpy gits on here, far far worse than your good self. In fact I always thought you were a jolly grumpy old codger.
We're you aware that a Git is a pregnant camel ? Now you might think that is as far fetched as camel poo from Egypt but it could be true. 
England have the youngest squad in the tournament which in one way is encouraging including a 17 year old so let us not be harsh, we should support them especially against those other miserable gits the sweaty socks.
Not a time to be negative after so many miserable old gits have been guilty of all season.
I would love England to win it just to shut the miserable old gits up.
If any miserable old gits says they won't watch them, good we don't need them and they can move along as there is nothing to see here, as the one eyed man is King in the land of the blind and the ache of the heart can be very lonely.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.