https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Christian Eriksen

Started by Lyle from Hangeland, June 12, 2021, 05:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

Quote from: Kemosabe on June 12, 2021, 10:22:08 PM
Quote from: SP on June 12, 2021, 10:13:05 PM
The BBC news just mentioned they finished the match, ridiculous.

According to news reports, the match was resumed at the request of the players from both teams and after members of the Danish team reportedly spoke with Eriksen while he was at the hospital.

Seems very strange to me, one of your mates nearly dies in front of his family & you restart a football match? Not for me I'm afraid.

Andy S

I don't have a problem finishing the match as it wasn't a fatality and the players were happy to carry on. I wish the guy and his family all the very best. Incidents like that bring out the best in football and supporters

Lighthouse

Not sure if it is a generational thing or just me. But a player collapses, is given CPR. Taken to hospital and is recovering.

So why shouldn't the match carry on. Back in the Eighties, a friend and work colleague collapsed and died. He was a young man and  clearly lots of us were upset. But at no time was it suggested that everybody take the day off or seek counselling. Once people knew that family were being taken of care as best as was possible there wasn't much else that could be done.

I noticed how the tv commentators seemed to enjoy luxuriating and making the most of the incident. When really we should be grateful the player was helped so quickly and given the best medical care possible. Something that simply wouldn't happen if he was at home and collapsed suddenly.

But player survives after sudden collapse. What would be the point of sending everybody home?

Let us hope for his continual recovery and at least he is in the best place he can be.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Somerset Fulham

Both sides agreed to carry on, I don't see any problem with that. The only thing I would say, is that apparently UEFA offered either to carry on tonight or to restart at mid day tomorrow.

Obviously I'm glad that the guy is awake and stable, but I wonder how it would have been played out had he not bounced back so quickly.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Kemosabe on June 12, 2021, 10:22:08 PM
Quote from: SP on June 12, 2021, 10:13:05 PM
The BBC news just mentioned they finished the match, ridiculous.

According to news reports, the match was resumed at the request of the players from both teams and after members of the Danish team reportedly spoke with Eriksen while he was at the hospital.

Why ?
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Lighthouse

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on June 12, 2021, 11:40:49 PM
Both sides agreed to carry on, I don't see any problem with that. The only thing I would say, is that apparently UEFA offered either to carry on tonight or to restart at mid day tomorrow.

Obviously I'm glad that the guy is awake and stable, but I wonder how it would have been played out had he not bounced back so quickly.

It would have to be to be up to the Danish Authorities if they wanted to withdraw from the tournament. If a real tragedy had occurred some people may have thought that to continue would be a better tribute than withdrawing. It is odd how we seem to have a completely different mindset than we did back when all those Israel athletes were murdered at the Olympics. The Olympics carried on. All be it after a delay and much criticism at the time.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

bog

Whatever is said and done by way of the very prompt response by the match ref and the medical staff Christian is still with us.

I saw the interview with someone from the Danish FA named Peter Moeller. Didn't he play for us for a while? 

roberto w6

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 12, 2021, 11:37:44 PM
Not sure if it is a generational thing or just me.

It's not you. Everyone of a certain age group downwards seems to want to be one of life's victims and seek counselling every time their umbrella doesn't open when it rains. I've been at funerals where I see people who hardly knew the deceased in hysterical floods of tears and you can see the generational split in reaction. Those over 40 thinking "shut the fk up you hardly knew him/her and it's disrespectful to the family", those under 40 asking in an almost crying pathetic voice "are you alright?" to which the attention-seeker will reply "not really" and burst into tears again. So the whole day becomes about them. It's just attention seeking which seemed to start with all that OTT public crying over Diana's death which I assumed was just to try and get on TV.

Glad to see Christian Eriksen is now stable and wishing him a speedy recovery. Best wishes to his family and friends

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: roberto w6 on June 13, 2021, 09:36:59 AM

It's not you. Everyone of a certain age group downwards seems to want to be one of life's victims and seek counselling every time their umbrella doesn't open when it rains. I've been at funerals where I see people who hardly knew the deceased in hysterical floods of tears and you can see the generational split in reaction. Those over 40 thinking "shut the fk up you hardly knew him/her and it's disrespectful to the family", those under 40 asking in an almost crying pathetic voice "are you alright?" to which the attention-seeker will reply "not really" and burst into tears again. So the whole day becomes about them. It's just attention seeking which seemed to start with all that OTT public crying over Diana's death which I assumed was just to try and get on TV.

Glad to see Christian Eriksen is now stable and wishing him a speedy recovery. Best wishes to his family and friends

Spot on and touche'
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MartyFFC

Definitely post of the week 👍🏻

Southcoastffc

According to AFP in Denmark, the midfielder was able to FaceTime his team-mates, while German broadcaster ZDF Sportstudio claim that Eriksen himself asked them to carry on.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

It narks me to say the least, when you see swaths of people laying reefs or flowers at stadiums - like Cardiff with Sala died. Why? They'd never seen him play in a game for them and didn't know him personally.
You feel empathy for his family, and hope he pulls through, other than that, life goes on for everyone else. Like it would if I was to collapse at work. People would be worried for me, but wouldn't say "oh I simply can't carry on".
Its not nice to see something like that, but it happens on a daily basis everywhere.

RaySmith

The main thing is that Erikson was ok, and apparently gave his permission, and the players agreed.

I imagine that the players, who must have been very relieved that  Erikson didn't die, and didn't seem seriously brain damaged, just wanted to get the game out of the way.

If he'd died might well have been a different matter, and some players might have felt unable to play, apart from issues of respect.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Quote from: RaySmith on June 13, 2021, 11:02:08 AM
The main thing is that Erikson was ok, and apparently gave his permission, and the players agreed.

I imagine that the players, who must have been very relieved that  Erikson didn't die, and didn't seem seriously brain damaged, just wanted to get the game out of the way.

If he'd died might well have been a different matter, and some players might have felt unable to play, apart from issues of respect.

The fact they were given the choice between last night and today is pretty poor by UEFA. Their coach said there was no way they'd be able to sleep after witnessing that, so playing tomorrow would have been pointless. I guess it was like ripping off a plaster. No wonder Finland won tho.

Statto

I noticed how the tv commentators seemed to enjoy luxuriating and making the most of the incident. When really we should be grateful the player was helped so quickly and given the best medical care possible. Something that simply wouldn't happen if he was at home and collapsed suddenly.

Largely agree with your post. Particularly annoying to see Alex Scott welling up. Maybe she happened to be really good friends with him but I suspect they'd never met in which case, how can you get so sad? How many hundreds of random people died around the world during the course of those few minutes in the studio when they were talking about Eriksen - should we all shed a tear for them too? Fair play to Micah Richards for keeping his head together and calmly pointing out that he might actually be fine. 

Somerset Fulham

I think it's a resonable reaction to the shock of the situation, rather than her being best drinking partners with the guy.

Sgt Fulham

There's a difference between hearing about someone dying and watching someone dying. The pictures were jarring as you could see him between life and death in front of you. Although we don't personally know him, due to his celebrity status you feel you know him more than the average Joe, so I can understand the tears in the studio perhaps. That said, I agree that there are a lot of attention seekers out there, and despise them for it.

blingo

Quote from: MartyFFC on June 13, 2021, 10:34:27 AM

100% agree with this post. Far too much pussy footing and, in my view,  political correctness now, it's gone way way over the top.

Fulham 442

Completely agree with this.

Willham

Quote from: MartyFFC on June 13, 2021, 10:34:27 AM

A little downheartened by this post, I do understand your viewing but dont think its fair or nice to give such blame to one generation, I dont think it is generational, I see it differently, death gives everyone different emotions and some people dont face a death until later in life, my first experience of death was at 20, no family member or friend had passed for that amount of time, since then theres been a lot and I'm sort of becoming use to having people around me fall off so it doesnt affect me as much anymore, people of the older generation have quite usually experienced more death around them and becoming a lot more use to dealing with this, these young people are just first learning how to deal and what to do to deal, it's perfectly understandable that some may cry even without massively knowing the deceased, it for all you know, might be the closest death they've ever felt, and someone dying can bring massive emotions about yourself and what your doing in life. Many of my friends started or at least tried getting clean off drugs at te death of a friend who overdosed at a party, that was a tragic experience that rattled a lot of people, he was well known around my city and many people felt his death tragically, it's been a couple of years and everyones still mourning.