watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Scotland fans help clean up

Started by Southcoastffc, June 19, 2021, 07:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Art Vandelay

It's a nice touch by them that's for sure

St Eve

MartyFFC

Looks like a staged PR stunt. Doubt they cleared more than about 0.1% of the mess that was left

Southcoastffc

Quote from: MartyFFC on June 19, 2021, 07:38:10 PM
Looks like a staged PR stunt. Doubt they cleared more than about 0.1% of the mess that was left
That seems unnecessarily snide and churlish.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

SP

Statto

Agreed. They came down in here in their tens of thousands despite the covid implications, purely to march around London drunk, shouting and doing such other loutish things as pi$$ing and vomiting in the streets and jumping naked into lakes. Picking up a few plastic cups the next morning ain't gonna make any difference. 

mrmicawbers

rebel

One blessing is that they didn't take the crossbar and goal posts with them this time. I suppose they'd have difficulty on the underground.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dad-said-he-had-some-wembley-turf-it-was-three-strands-of-grass-jgxc9brcc

Woolly Mammoth

Absolutely and they made the mess in the first place, and as usual they can never hold their drink.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

SP

Just seen pictures of the discusting mess they left behind, I look forward to an apology from Nicola Sturgeon.

MartyFFC

Tens of thousands travel down to London without tickets, breach COVID restrictions in mass gatherings, cause mayhem getting absolutely smashed leaving behind tonnes of rubbish; with 30 being arrested for anti-social behaviour. However a couple of photographs of 2 or 3 guys with a Sainsbury's bag who for all we know were there for about 5 minutes; suddenly creates a completely false narrative of how great Scotland fans are, they've cleaned up all their rubbish etc. It epitomises the way the modern media works and how it exploits the naivety of many of those who consume it; with Scotland fans now characterised as socially aware eco-warriors, erasing the fact that thousands were chanting racist songs, being drunk and naked in front of children in Hyde Park etc

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: MartyFFC on June 20, 2021, 08:21:19 AM
Tens of thousands travel down to London without tickets, breach COVID restrictions in mass gatherings, cause mayhem getting absolutely smashed leaving behind tonnes of rubbish; with 30 being arrested for anti-social behaviour. However a couple of photographs of 2 or 3 guys with a Sainsbury's bag who for all we know were there for about 5 minutes; suddenly creates a completely false narrative of how great Scotland fans are, they've cleaned up all their rubbish etc. It epitomises the way the modern media works and how it exploits the naivety of many of those who consume it; with Scotland fans now characterised as socially aware eco-warriors, erasing the fact that thousands were chanting racist songs, being drunk and naked in front of children in Hyde Park etc

I agree, your observations are correct and spot on.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Southcoastffc

Some people helped clear a mess in central London.  I'd rather they did it than not. 

filham

Well done the scottish fans.
I really think that litter louts should be given a days labour doing jobs like this.

jarv

Let me offer an opinion here.  I was at every Wembley game and many Hampden games between 1967 and the last one 1983. I witnessed a lot of high spirits and yes a bit too much drunkenness. (A minority spewing up and falling over). Of course there will be a lot of mess,(at any mass gathering, Isle of Wight festival, Glastonbury etc).

However, when trouble started, I often witnessed the English thugs initiating it. One year at Hampden, only one section was allocated to English fans (the brave ones I guess). They kicked off and a very large number of police went in and removed all of them from the stadium. I believe there were quite a lot of arrests outside the ground. The Scots fans were there to enjoy the football.

Despite the fact that England used to win most games, I really enjoyed the matches. Always a great atmosphere and some good football along the way.  Unfortunately, an era when no Fulham players were involved.

Footnote...I think international football was more exciting back then. I use to go to Wembley often with mates to watch England, also Hampden with two Scottish work colleagues for tournament qualifiers.  Memories..an outstanding 2-2 at Wembley v. Russia and a great 3-1 win over Spain at Hampden.

Ruislip White

Well done to those that cleaned up.
Some of the behaviour around London was pretty appalling and if we praise the clean up efforts of a few good citizens that we should also recognise the bad behaviour too.  I would not have wanted to be in and around some parts of London of Friday afternoon with my family.

SP

If Wales win & play at Wembley we can look forward to it all over again.

Maidstone Lee

It's really good that some of them cleaned up the next day but it was them that created the mess in the first place.

I did see they they made a donation to a children's charity whilst they were down here which was nice.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I think the emphasis must be on the word 'some'. How many was some and was it just a good photo opportunity to snap the tiny minority who were there to help