watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (19/12/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 19, 2010, 09:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6597560,00.html?

Fulham frustration for Hughes
Cottagers boss hoping performances will start providing points

Mark Hughes feels Fulham have been unfortunate this season and are better than recent results suggest.

The Cottagers know that, with their game against Liverpool on Saturday having fallen foul of the weather, they will spend Christmas in relegation trouble.

Only goal difference is currently keeping their head above water, with just two wins taken from their 17 games to date.

That record would suggest that they have struggled at times this season, but Hughesinsists that is not the case.

He believes fortune has been against his side this term, with their lowly standing a false representation of their efforts.

"We're fully aware of where we are and it's a real frustration for us," said Hughes.

Goals

"I think we're using that frustration of not having many points as we should have done.

"I don't think there is any danger of us thinking, 'We're okay because we are playing well'. We're really conscious of the fact that you have to get points on the board. That's what we'll do."

Part of the problem for Fulham this season has been their lack of goals, with just 16 scored so far.

Hughes admits that is an issue he is keen to address, with a new forward featuring prominently on his January shopping list.

"We have to look at our needs and at the moment our needs are pretty much there for everyone to see," he said.

"We need a little bit of help at the top end."

WhiteJC

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/1211852-liverpool-fc-will-finish-in-top-four-this-season,-claims-danny-murphy.html?

Liverpool FC will finish in top four this season, claims Danny Murphy

Fulham captain Danny Murphy has given his backing to Roy Hodgson's struggling reign by insisting that his former boss will steer Liverpool to a top four finish this season.

The pair were set to face their former clubs in today's late kick-off at Anfield, Hodgson's first against the Cottagers since leaving in the summer, before widespread snowfall across Merseyside saw the game postponed.

Liverpool are currently nine points behind Chelsea, who currently occupy the final Champions League spot, and despite feeling the strain from the Kop, ex-Reds midfielder Murphy believes that Hodgson can secure Champions League qualification for his old club.

He said: "If I was a betting man, I would guarantee they are going to finish in the top four.

"The club is in a bit of a predicament, but you couldn't ask for a more humble gentleman to deal with that.

"I didn't want to see him go (from Fulham), but football success generally means that people move on.

"The great thing for him was that he got to manage one of the great teams in Europe and Liverpool got one of the best coaches around."

WhiteJC

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/63258.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

It was easy to stay despite Arsenal interest - Schwarzer

Mark Schwarzer has told ESPN that he had no hesitation in committing his future to Fulham, despite strong links with Arsenal.

The Australian was strongly linked with a move to Arsenal in the summer, but Fulham dug in their heels in the face of fervent speculation. Cottagers manager Mark Hughes revealed in August that Schwarzer had asked for a transfer, but they were able to retain the former Middlesbrough man's services.

Schwarzer has proved why Fulham were intent on retaining his services with a string of fine performances and he proved his loyalty in December when committing himself to a new deal.

Despite looking like he wanted to move on in the summer, Schwarzer has insisted it was an easy decision to remain at Craven Cottage.

"I am very happy where I am at Fulham," Schwarzer told ESPN. "I've said that from day one. It is a fantastic little club, I say little because it is a tight-knit unit.

"The crowd is not the biggest as far as Premier League clubs go, but it is a vocal crowd and close to you and they have been unbelievable in the last two and a half years.

"It was a pretty easy decision to stay here and commit my future to the club."

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6597852,00.html?

Hangeland ignores rumours
Cottagers centre-half happy where he is, and hopes results improve

Brede Hangeland admits he is growing accustomed to ignoring the endless rounds of transfer gossip.

The Fulham defender continues to be linked with a host of top clubs, with the likes of Juventus, Chelsea and Arsenal all reported to be keen.

The Cottagers have no intention of selling, though, and Hangeland has no desire to leave.

He appreciates the acclaim which is coming his way, but insists speculation regarding his future has dragged on for so long now that he has learned to sweep it aside.

"I try to let it go over my head," Hangeland told Sky Sports News.

"I like people to think I have done well, I am happy with that, but, as I have said thousands of times, I am happy at this club and I would love to stay here for a long time. Speculation is just part of the game."

Stalemates

Of more immediate concern to Hangeland is helping Fulham pull clear of trouble towards the foot of the Premier League table.

Only goal difference is keeping Mark Hughes' side out of the bottom three at present, with only two wins and 10 draws having held them back this term.

"Our performances have been alright, but we aren't happy with our league position at the moment. We would like to be a bit higher," added Hangeland.

"We just need to turn some of those draws into wins, then we will be alright.

"The league is so tight so 10 minutes from time if both teams are half-satisfied with the situation, sometimes you end up with a draw. In our case that has happened a few too many times. We are definitely tired of draws."

Embarrassing
Fulham also continue to suffer on their travels, with a trip to Portsmouth in August 2009 the last time they picked up three points away from home.

"That's one of the positives about this season, we have been closer to winning away," claimed Hangeland.

"We have had a lot of draws away. It's something we talk about because there's no reason why we shouldn't win away from home.

"It's a little bit embarrassing almost, because it's been such a long time. We really want to put it right but it's harder to win away from home in the Premier League, maybe more so for us because Craven Cottage is such a special place."

WhiteJC

http://tribalfootball.com/articles/hughes-desperate-fulham-turn-draws-wins-1330171?

Hughes desperate for Fulham to turn draws into wins

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is puzzled why his troops have been unable to turn draws into Premier League wins this season.

Arsenal have lost the same amount of league games - five - as the Cottagers but while they lie just two points behind leaders Manchester United, Hughes' men are outside the drop zone on goal difference alone.

Both sides are therefore proof positive of the importance of taking maximum points, with Fulham having done so only twice in 17 matches.

Their remaining 10 games have all been draws, but many of these results have left Hughes scratching his head.

"I don't know where it's come from," said the former Manchester City and Blackburn boss. "It's never happened to me in my career before and it's not as if we're setting up negatively or trying to get people behind the ball and taking what we can out of games.

"We've tried to be positive in every game we've played and I think that is too our credit. I think we've improved in that respect."

The Cottagers problems stem from their lack of firepower as a result of injuries to key forwards.

Hughes said: "I think once we get that cutting edge and threat at the top end, which we will in the New Year, then a lot of the good things we are doing will still be in place.

"It's been frustrating because we have not converted winning positions into winning performances but we'll get there."

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/12/18/2267671/mark-hughes-reveals-frustration-over-fulhams-poor-league?

Mark Hughes reveals frustration over Fulham's poor league position
Welshman hints he may sign a striker in January

Mark Hughes admits his side are conscious of their league position and concedes he could sign a striker in the January transfer window.

Fulham have only secured two victories this term and hover precariously above the relegation zone.

But while his side's league position is poor, Hughes believes the performances from his team this season have warranted better rewards.

"We're fully aware of where we are and it's a real frustration for us," Hughes told reporters.

"I think we're using that frustration of not having many points as we should have done.

"I don't think there is any danger of us thinking, 'We're okay because we are playing well'. We're really conscious of the fact that you have to get points on the board. That's what we'll do."

While drawing ten games, more than any other side in the league, Fulham have also been hampered by the injuries to top scorer Bobby Zamora and to Moussa Dembele. Hughes has identified this as a weakness and has hinted he may move for a striker in the January transfer window.

"We have to look at our needs and at the moment our needs are pretty much there for everyone to see," said Hughes.

"We need a little bit of help at the top end."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/Advent19-NewShirt.aspx?

Special Edition Home Shirt

An exclusive Fulham FC Advent offer for this weekend only!

Get £10 off the Home Special Edition Shirt 2010/11. Get yours today from just £19.99

Purchase this exclusive Special Edition Home Shirt, the perfect present for someone special this Christmas.

All of the embellishments are finished in a tonal and silver thread to give a very unique and subtle feel to the shirt.

This shirt is only available in short sleeve and has been produced in limited numbers. So don't miss out on this great exclusive replica shirt today

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/Advent19-NewShirt.aspx?#ixzz18Y9mIcxQ

WhiteJC

http://sportingpreview.com/prem_news/10110454.php?

FULHAM MUST BEAT WEST HAM OR IT'S THE SACK FOR HUGHES

The Sunday People are reporting that Fulham manager Mark Hughes will be sacked if he doesn't win the home Boxing Day match against West Ham.

The People say that "sources close to Fulham chairman Mohamed Al Fayed say the Egyptian is running out of patience with the manager, less than five months after his appointment."

The article states that former Tottenham boss Martin Jol would be the most likely candidate to replace Hughes. Jol spent a week deciding whether to quit Ajax for Fulham in July and eventually turned the job down but he has recently resigned from Alax and is available.

Fulham are far too close to the drop zone and Al Fayed had previously sacked managers Jean Tigana, Chris Coleman and Lawrie Sanchez as soon as the club looked like they were heading for relegation trouble.

The Sunday People says that "if Fulham fail to beat the rock-bottom Hammers, Al Fayed must decide whether to dispense with his (Hughes') services before the transfer window opens."

It would not be cheap to dismiss Hughes and his large coaching ensemble and the postponement of yesterday's match at Liverpool may have helped Hughes as a defeat to ex-manager Roy Hodgson would not have sat well with Al Fayed.

It could be an anxious Christmas for Mark Hughes.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=225126

Fulham - Some Things You Just Don`t Say!
Some things do make me chuckle!

Having followed our former boss, Roy Hodgson, to Anfield, life looks to be getting a bit uncomfortable for Paul Konchesky.

According to numerous sources it would appear that social networking sites could well have dealt Paul a major blow.

Our spies, up in the north-west, confirm that Paul hasn`t exactly set Anfield on fire since his move and that he has received a degree of stick from the patrons that frequent Anfield.

It appears this stick has riled none other than his mum, who has, reputedly, on a networking social site, called those who have barracked her son, scouse scum - ouch!

You should have stayed in London my son!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=225126#ixzz18Z0eYwop