more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff - 29/06/21...

Started by WhiteJC, June 29, 2021, 12:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham teaching Franklyn the value of teamwork

Premier League Inspires and Fulham FC Foundation help young student to improve at working with others in school

Ahead of the Premier League Inspires Challenge celebration this week, we look at how the programme, which is supported by the Professional Footballers Association and the Prince's Trust, helps marginalised 11 to 25-year-olds fulfil their potential.

Fulham
There can be a thin line between healthy and unhealthy competition but, with support from Premier League Inspires and the Fulham FC Foundation, young student Franklyn is getting the balance right.

"Last year we had a few issues with Franklyn struggling to work with others," says Mr Thomas, a teacher at Franklyn's secondary school, Elmgreen in West Norwood, south London. "He's very competitive, and sometimes that spilled over into the classroom."

So Elmgreen got Franklyn to engage at school in one-to-one sessions with the Foundation's PL Inspires coach Richard Morris.

PL Inspires uses the power of football and the local club to inspire young people to develop the personal skills and positive attitudes to succeed in life.

Franklyn's story
"It's a totally different story now," says Mr Thomas. "He's matured and PL Inspires has helped him work much better as a team member, and his behaviour issues have considerably dropped."

Franklyn has seen the change in himself too.

"Inspires has helped my behaviours outside and inside the classroom," he explains. "The programme helped me enjoy school more.

"The most important skills I've learnt is teamwork, because I play a lot of sport and it has helped me in the classroom as well.

"I don't get frustrated straight away. It makes me feel good because you get to work in a team, which is important outside school and in life."

Fulham are among 31 PL and EFL club community organisations who ran Inspires sessions last season at their stadiums or in local schools and organisations.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2168676

WhiteJC

SCOTT PARKER LEAVES FULHAM

Fulham Football Club can confirm that Scott Parker has left the Club by mutual consent.

Scott Parker took caretaker charge in February 2019, with the team in the relegation zone, for the final 10 matches of the 2018/19 Premier League season. He was appointed Head Coach on a permanent basis in May that year and, in his first full season in charge, the Club achieved promotion back to the Premier League by defeating Brentford in the Championship Play-Off Final at Wembley Stadium in August 2020.

The subsequent Premier League campaign resulted in relegation, confirmed after the 2-0 defeat at home against Burnley in May.

Matt Wells (First Team Coach), Rob Burch (Goalkeeping Coach), Alastair Harris (Head of Sports Science), Jonathan Hill (First Team Match Analyst) and Charlie Moore (Lead Physical Performance Coach) have also left the Club.

Fulham Chairman, Shahid Khan, said: "Through promotion and relegation alike, Scott has always enjoyed my support as our Head Coach. Scott's departure does nothing to shake my confidence, however. We will hire a new Head Coach who is capable of achieving our goal of promotion and will be committed to Fulham and its supporters. And we will field a squad that will respond, compete and win. Onward."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/june/Scott-Parker-Leaves-Fulham/

WhiteJC

Sources: Fulham star bats away transfer interest with Craven Cottage stay prioritised

Fulham have received multiple enquiries over the availability of Bobby Decordova Reid this summer transfer window but the player wants to remain at Craven Cottage for next season, Football League World has been told exclusively.

The Lilywhites are heading back to the Sky Bet Championship for the 21/22 campaign after falling short in the Premier League last year.

They will be hoping to bounce back to the top flight immediately, though, with a number of players still in their squad from their promotion win in the 2019/20 season.

Indeed, Reid is one of those and Football League World has been told that he remains keen to stay at the west London club for next year, despite some enquiries from other clubs over his potential availability for a transfer.

Reid has played for the likes of Bristol City and Cardiff City in his career so far and has looked well at home at Craven Cottage since arriving, so evidently isn't particularly keen on shaking that up at the moment.

He's a player who could prove key to their hopes of challenging for promotion next season and Fulham fans will be pleased to see he's eager to stay put, especially as uncertainty over their managerial situation continues to rage.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/sources-fulham-star-bats-away-transfer-interest-with-craven-cottage-stay-prioritised/

WhiteJC

Gray takes Fulham training

Stuart Gray took charge of Fulham's first day of pre-season training this morning with Scott Parker expected to be confirmed as the new Bournemouth boss this week.

Gray, currently the club's assistant manager, has experience of being in caretaker charge of Fulham having stepped in following the sacking of Kit Symons to head up first team affairs. He is being assisted by under 23s coaches Colin Omogbehin and Mark Pembridge. He has been Fulham's number two since February 2019 having been brought back by Parker after serving on Slavisa Jokanovic's coaching staff until July 2018.

The club released a series of photos of the first day's work at Motspur Park showing Stefan Johansen, Maxime Le Marchand and Alfie Mawson all back in Fulham training following their loan spells last season.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/06/gray-takes-fulham-training/

WhiteJC

Tony Khan Talks Not Wanting To Be A Character On TV

AEW President Tony Khan stopped by Barstool Sports' Pardon My Take podcast to talk AEW, the Jacksonville Jaguars and Fulham F.C. Khan revealed when he first pitched the concept of AEW to his friend, former President of Turner Kevin Reilly, which happened to be at a party.

"I was at a party with some friends in Beverly Hills," Khan said. "And I saw my friend, who was the President of TNT and TBS. And it all just kind of clicked. It's probably something I thought of a million times. And I went up to him and I said 'Kev, are you looking at bidding on the WWE TV rights?' And he said 'yes, yes I am. I'm not looking to bid on both packages, I'm looking at bidding on one of them.' And I said 'oh', knowing that that's of course Smackdown. He said 'it's going to go for probably over $150 (million).' It ended up going for $205 million annually to Fox, but they (Turner) were in on the bidding, at least initially in the initial wave.

"I said 'Kev, that's interesting. But have you ever considered that maybe we can do this?' He said 'what do you mean?' I said 'well the company you operate owned and operated twenty years ago today, which was true when I said it, the number one wrestling company in the world.' And he said 'really?' I asked if he had ever heard of WCW. He had not. But WCW, if people don't know, was formerly a competitor to the WWF. They ended up getting sold by AOL/Time Warner and they got shuttered and it's not a thing anymore. AEW exists, in my opinion, because of the failure of WCW. Because they vacated this great timeslot, this great relationship with TNT and TBS that we have. That was the success of WCW. It was the outlet, the penetration they had with TNT and TBS. And of course the fans. There are all these fans that wanted an alternative. So anyway, that's how."

Khan talked further about the pros and cons he had learned from WCW. Specifically he called out WCW's creative control clauses, the writing of Vince Russo and WCW's management style as things he tries to avoid.

"I've learned from the pros and the cons, and I think some of the things that went wrong for WCW, in my opinion, were the creative control," Khan said. "They gave creative control to a lot of the wrestlers, and some of the storylines were asinine. Some of the ideas were great, but it was a very disorganized show. And when they brought someone else in from the WWF to be a writer named Vince Russo, he made it ten times worse. He took a problem, it's like they had a massive hangnail and he just chopped off the arm. So that was part of the problem."

"Another major, major issue for them, in my opinion, was the management. Most wrestling companies that have been really successful over time have had one supreme commander at the top, who's like owned it, booked it, done everything. Run the the place, run the management. Whether it was Vince McMahon for years, organizing everything, Cowboy Bill Watts, Eddie Graham, Fritz Von Erich and countless others. And so I think that made sense as a business model, and I told Kevin that. It's like the strong management WCW didn't have, I can provide."

Khan also reiterated, to the hosts disappointment, that he had no plans to be a character on AEW TV.

"I've done stuff on other wrestling shows that kind of promote AEW and cross over," Khan said. "But that's kind of the line I don't want to cross, because I feel like you disappear up your own butt when you start writing that way."

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2021/06/tony-khan-talks-not-wanting-to-be-a-character-on-tv/

WhiteJC

Season Tickets: Deadline Passed

The deadline for Season Ticket renewals has now ended, with thousands of Fulham supporters set to join us for the 2021/22 campaign.

We can't wait to welcome you all back to Craven Cottage - thank you for your fantastic support!

Following the deadline, renewals and new sales are now currently unavailable online. However, we are aware that a number of supporters have attempted to renew by phone today, resulting in a high volume of calls. Therefore, phone lines will remain open until 7pm this evening for any fans who still need assistance with their renewal.

Seat Move Window
From 10am tomorrow, 29th June, Season Ticket Holders who wish to move seat can do so via phone only, contacting the Fulham FC Ticket Office on 0203 871 0810. Lines will remain open until 5pm on Tuesday 29th and will re-open at 9am on Wednesday 30th June, until 5pm.

Please be advised that availability within Craven Cottage is limited, and any available moves will be made available on a first come first served basis.

This seat move window is open exclusively to 2021/22 Season Ticket Holders only for 48 hours, and during this time no new sales will take place. Remaining seats will then be available to purchase on General Sale from 10am on Thursday 1st July.

Supporters currently sat in the Johnny Haynes Stand, renewed for 2021/22 season, who wish to purchase additional seats in this area are also invited to do so during this timeframe.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/june/Season-Tickets-Deadline-Passed/

WhiteJC

Swansea City transfers: No Fulham approach for Steve Cooper after Crystal Palace interview as Swans complete deal for Everton youngster

Here's your round-up of all the latest transfer news and gossip from the Swans

Here are the latest transfer headlines from the Liberty Stadium for Monday, June 28.

No Fulham approach for Cooper

Fulham are yet to make an official approach for Swansea City boss Steve Cooper.

The current Swans boss has been heavily linked as the top choice to take over at Craven Cottage, with Scott Parker seemingly poised to join Championship rivals Bournemouth.

Parker's departure was confirmed by the Cottagers on Monday evening, in a move that could well set off something of a managerial merry-go-round.

Confirming Parker's departure, Fulham chairman Shahid Khan said: "Through promotion and relegation alike, Scott has always enjoyed my support as our Head Coach. Scott's departure does nothing to shake my confidence, however. We will hire a new Head Coach who is capable of achieving our goal of promotion and will be committed to Fulham and its supporters. And we will field a squad that will respond, compete and win. Onward."

It's understood Cooper was previously interviewed for the vacancy at Crystal Palace following the departure of Roy Hodgson, but the Eagles now seem to have moved on to other targets.

Fulham appear to hold a similar level of admiration for the former England under-17s boss but, at the time of writing, are yet to back up their interest with a concrete approach.

Swansea return to pre-season training on Saturday, and there's a growing feeling inside the club that Cooper will there to oversee the return of his squad.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/swansea-city-transfers-no-fulham-20921616

WhiteJC

Parker's departure for Bournemouth is confirmed

Scott Parker has been announced as Bournemouth's new manager after his departure from Fulham was confirmed.

Parker, 40, spent 16 months at the helm at Craven Cottage.

He ended his playing career with a four-year spell at Fulham and returned to the club as a coach in 2018.

He took charge following the sacking of Claudio Ranieri and was unable to keep the Whites in the Premier League but led them to promotion back to the top flight at the first attempt.

However, Fulham were relegated to the Championship after just one season and will start life back in the second tier with a new manager.

There have been tensions behind the scenes, with Parker sometimes disagreeing with director of football operations Tony Khan.

Bournemouth have long been keen to install Parker, who won 37 of his 105 matches as Fulham boss.

Fulham announced on Monday evening that he had departed "by mutual consent" along with a number of his backroom staff: first-team coach Matt Wells, goalkeeping coach Rob Burch, head of sports science Alastair Harris, match analyst Jonathan Hill and performance coach Charlie Moore.

Chairman Shahid Khan told the club website: "Through promotion and relegation alike, Scott has always enjoyed my support as our head coach.  Scott's departure does nothing to shake my confidence, however.

"We will hire a new head coach who is capable of achieving our goal of promotion and will be committed to Fulham and its supporters. And we will field a squad that will respond, compete and win. Onward."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/bournemouth-scott-parker-exit-updated

WhiteJC

Scott Parker is a Fulham legend. Here's why.
As our manager heads off for pastures new, Drew looks back at his two-year reign and argues for his place in Fulham folklore.

Whichever way you slice it, Scott Parker is a Fulham legend. He's up there with Clint Dempsey, Louis Saha and Brian McBride. He's not at statue level, fair enough, but he's due a Forever Fulham award from David Daly in five years' time, at half-time during a midweek league match against Lincoln City.

Premier League Parker
When Parker arrived in SW6 in 2013, it felt like a bit of a coup. Sure, he was nearly 33 years old and in the autumn of his career, but he was an established international, starting all four matches in England's (albeit ill-fated) Euro 2012 campaign. He'd also won the Football Writers' Association player of the season in 2011.

On paper, Parker was exactly what we needed. But there were far too many other jigsaw pieces missing for him to have an impact for us in the Premier League. We, of course, went down in May 2014. What was interesting, though, was that Scotty stayed. Speaking to the BBC in 2014, you could already hear shades of Parker the manager.

"I am a firm believer in continuity," he said, reflecting on the circus that was 2013/14. "I understand there is a time when things need to change but certainly last year it was not easy. When you do make so many changes it becomes very difficult. Different styles, ideas and philosophies is not helpful."

Racking up Championship miles
Parker played 90 games for us in the Championship, until he hung up his boots in 2017. And boy, did we need him. Assuming the captain's armband, he was a solid rod of quality in a disjointed side that was floundering in England's second tier. Who knows what might've happened without him.

His time was mostly spent down the bottom of the league, but he did help us mount one play-off push, in his final season as a player. What a redemption story it could've been, were it not for the world's most pointless football club™, Reading FC.

The return
Parker then went off to earn his stripes coaching – a route few would've bet against in his playing days. He'd start at Spurs, and their under-18s. Slavisa Jokanovic was building something at Fulham, and while Parker left with our best wishes, there were few asking him to stay in any capacity.

Then came Wembley. Then came the white wall. Then came our return to the Premier League. And with all that came the return of Parker, who linked up with his old gaffer as a first-team coach. It was a somewhat surprising, if not welcome, move. "I have first-hand knowledge of the quality and ambition at the Club since I was a player here," he beamed upon his appointment.

Our return Premier League voyage was as disastrous as our last, and Parker ended the campaign alone in the dugout, as our permanent manager. His three wins in his 10 games in charge lightened the mood somewhat at the end of a torrid campaign, but some sections of the fanbase were labelling Parker a sort of grim reaper; always present during our darkest hours.

His finest hour
A little more than a year later came Scott's finest hour. Another trip to Wembley (playing and coaching staff only, of course) saw another win and another return to the Premier League. Let's not mess around here: this game was huge. Whether you think Parker should've taken us up automatically or not (and I do), just remember how you felt when Brentford won promotion last month. Now imagine how you'd have felt if you watched them beat us at Wembley. For helping us avoid that heartache alone, Parker's alright by me.

Scenes of Scott's emotional Chinese takeaway-inspired post-match comments endeared him to us like never before. Stories of his off-the-cuff tactical message to Joe Bryan regarding David Raya's positioning made him feel like prime Pep Guardiola, and there was no way weren't surviving in the Prem this time around.

His darkest hour
Except we didn't. We don't need to go over the season again, but frustrating tactical rigidity and a lack of a plan B did little to strengthen the bond between manager and fans (not that there were any around). There's a completely separate argument regarding recruitment and support from the top – believe me, I'm not forgetting that – but the evidence provided from the tools available was disappointing.

We went down once again, and the grim reaper label grew stronger. Except it's an unfair one. Scott Parker wasn't solely to blame for our relegation in 2014. He wasn't at all to blame for it in 2019. Parker has helped Fulham Football Club during more than a few difficult periods. On the pitch and off it. We don't have to be threatened with extinction to endure tough times. And endure some we have; highs and lows aplenty.

Though I wasn't there, I liken Parker's contribution to the club to Ray Lewington's in the 1980s. Lew was brought in as the Football League's youngest manager amid instability at the top of the club and steered us to the play-offs against all odds. He did it because he loved Fulham. And you can see that affection remains to this day.

If you want a more contemporary example, then I give you Kit Symons. He was having a great time coaching the academy, when the first team came calling. He could never – and would never – turn it down. But Kit was dealt a stinker of a hand in a post-Magath world – and he couldn't win with it, no matter how well he might be able to bluff.

Parker was dealt a terrible hand when he arrived as a player. He was hardly handed a pair of aces when he took on the role of manager, either. But he made a good fist of both. And, for me, over the course of his seven-or-eight years at the club, he's up there with FFC legends.

Thank you, Scott.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2021-06-28-scott-parker-is-a-fulham-legend-heres-why/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker appointed Bournemouth head coach after leaving Fulham

Scott Parker has taken over as head coach at Bournemouth on a three-year contact after leaving Fulham.

The former England midfielder, 40, took over at Fulham in February 2019, but could not stop them being relegated from the Premier League that season.

He guided them to promotion back to the top flight via the play-offs in 2020, but they came down again last season.

"The ethos, the reputation, the journey and the challenge here is something that's very exciting," said Parker.

"I believe this is the perfect fit for both parties. We want to build a team the fans can be proud of and one they feel represents them. We can't wait to get started."

Parker, who succeeds Jonathan Woodgate at Bournemouth, will be joined by first-team coach Matt Wells, goalkeeping coach Rob Burch, head of performance Alastair Harris, first-team head analyst Jonathan Hill and lead physical performance coach Charlie Moore, who have all left their roles at Fulham.

Bournemouth chief executive Neill Blake said: "It has been a long process but I am delighted to finally get our man.

"Scott has always been our number one choice for this role and someone whose coaching career we have taken a keen interest in since his first steps in Tottenham Hotspur's academy.

"Over a period of time he has proven himself as one of the best young head coaches in the country; someone who has a clear philosophy on how he wants to play and knows what it takes to win promotion from the Championship.

"Scott is fully invested in the long-term project in front of us here, and this is the start of an exciting new period for this club."

Fulham to 'respond, compete and win'
Fulham described Parker's departure from Craven Cottage as "by mutual consent" and chairman Shahid Khan said: "Through promotion and relegation alike, Scott has always enjoyed my support.

"Scott's departure does nothing to shake my confidence, however. We will hire a new head coach who is capable of achieving our goal of promotion and will be committed to Fulham and its supporters.

"And we will field a squad that will respond, compete and win. Onward."

Bournemouth announced on Sunday that Woodgate would leave the club when his deal expires at the end of the month.

The Cherries have also confirmed that goalkeeping coach Neil Moss, assistant manager Stephen Purches, first-team coach Simon Weatherstone and physio Steve Hard have left, saying: "Thank you to all four members of staff for the unwavering commitment and hard work over the years."

Bournemouth were beaten in the Championship play-off semi-finals last season by Brentford as they missed the chance to secure promotion back to the Premier League at the first attempt.

Woodgate took charge as head coach in February after his predecessor Jason Tindall was sacked after only six months in charge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57581563

WhiteJC

Scott Parker LEAVES Fulham by mutual consent after Cottagers were relegated from the Premier League last season... with former England midfielder set to take over at Bournemouth

Scott Parker has left Fulham but mutual consent after last season's relegation
    The 40-year-old seems set to take over as the new manager of Bournemouth
    Parker joined the Cottagers in February 2019 as caretaker boss of the club
    He led club to promotion in 2020 but Fulham had a difficult return to top-flight

Scott Parker has left Fulham by mutual consent, the club have announced.

The former midfielder took caretaker charge of the club in February 2019, and was unable to keep the west London side out of the relegation zone.

After being appointed manager on a permanent basis in May that year, Fulham secured promotion back to the top flight after beating Brentford in the play-off final.

Scott Parker has left Fulham by mutual consent with rumours he'll become Bournemouth boss

Jonathan Woodgate is likely to leave Bournemouth when his contract expires next week

However Fulham's Premier League return lasted less than a year after their relegation was confirmed following a 2-0 home defeat to Burnley.

Parker has been heavily linked with the Bournemouth job, with Jonathan Woodgate's contract coming to an end on June 30.

The former defender confirmed on Instagram over the weekend that his time in charge at the club had come to an end, having taken over in February.

Bournemouth failed to secure a return to the Premier League at the first time of asking, losing to Brentford in the semi-finals of the play-offs last season.

Several of Parker's backroom staff, including first-team coach Matt Wells and goalkeeping coach Rob Burch, have also left the Cottagers.

Fulham Chairman Shahid Khan, said: 'Through promotion and relegation alike, Scott has always enjoyed my support as our Head Coach. Scott's departure does nothing to shake my confidence, however.

'We will hire a new Head Coach who is capable of achieving our goal of promotion and will be committed to Fulham and its supporters. And we will field a squad that will respond, compete and win. Onward.' 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9734289/Scott-Parker-leaves-Fulham-mutual-consent-Cottagers-relegated-Premier-League.html

WhiteJC

Parker leaves Fulham

Scott Parker has left Fulham by mutual consent and seems set to take over at Bournemouth.

Parker's protracted departure from Craven Cottage has been rumoured since the end of last season, when the Whites were relegated from the Premier League and his relationship with the club's hierarchy appeared to have deteriorated beyond repair. The 40 year-old, who guided Fulham back to the top flight at the first attempt, was unable to keep the Whites in the Premier League and appears destined to succeed Jonathan Woodgate at Dean Court later this week.

Parker's backroom staff could include a number of figures who have also left Fulham tonight like first team coach Matt Wells, goalkeeping coach Rob Burch, head of sports science Ally Harris, analyst Jonathan Hill and fitness coach Charlie Moore.

Fulham chairman Shahid Khan said in a statement: "Through promotion and relegation alike, Scott has always enjoyed my support as our Head Coach. Scott's departure does nothing to shake my confidence, however. We will hire a new Head Coach who is capable of achieving our goal of promotion and will be committed to Fulham and its supporters. And we will field a squad that will respond, compete and win. Onward."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/06/parker-leaves-fulham/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker named new Bournemouth manager after Fulham exit is confirmed

Scott Parker has been confirmed as Bournemouth's new manager after his departure from Fulham was confirmed.

The former midfielder - who first took over with Fulham on the brink of Premier League relegation in 2019 - could not save the Cottagers from dropping back into the Championship last season, having led them back into the top-flight through the Play-Offs during his first full season in charge.

There have been tensions between Parker and owner Shahid Khan, as well as Khan's son, Tony, the director of football, which have contributed to his mutual termination.

In a statement on Monday, Fulham said: "Fulham Football Club can confirm that Scott Parker has left the Club by mutual consent."

Parker has been appointed as manager of Bournemouth imminently, taking over from Jonathan Woodgate, who replaced Jason Tindall in February and could only guide the Cherries to the Play-Off semi-finals.

A sizeable number of backroom staff have followed Parker out of Craven Cottage, with Matt Wells (first-team coach), Rob Burch (goalkeeping coach), Alastair Harris (head of sports science), Jonathan Hill (first-team match analyst) and Charlie Moore (lead physical performance coach) also departing.

Swansea manager Steve Cooper, who was considered by Crystal Palace, is a leading contender to replace Parker in west London.

Fulham chairman Khan said: "Through promotion and relegation alike, Scott has always enjoyed my support as our Head Coach.

"Scott's departure does nothing to shake my confidence, however. We will hire a new Head Coach who is capable of achieving our goal of promotion and will be committed to Fulham and its supporters. And we will field a squad that will respond, compete and win. Onward."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/scott-parker-bournemouth-fulham-exit-confirmed-b943097.html

WhiteJC

Parker signs three-year contract at Bournemouth

Scott Parker has signed a three-year contract at Bournemouth after leaving Fulham earlier today.

Parker told afcbTV tonight:

"I believe this is the perfect fit for both parties. I'm familiar with Bournemouth because of my relationship with Harry Arter. It's a football club I know well from watching him over the years.

"The ethos, the reputation, the journey and the challenge here is something that's very exciting for me and my staff. We want to build a team the fans can be proud of and one they feel represents them. We can't wait to get started."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/06/parker-signs-three-year-contract-at-bournemouth/

Asotosyios

Quote from: whitejc on June 29, 2021, 12:15:02 AM

Unfortunately, the word Legend is used very easily and very often nowadays.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Asotosyios on June 29, 2021, 12:42:41 AM

Unfortunately, the word Legend is used very easily and very often nowadays.

Legend, my arse!

Lambo

blingo

As our manager heads off for pastures new, Drew looks back at his two-year reign and argues for his place in Fulham folklore.

Whichever way you slice it, Scott Parker is a Fulham legend. He's up there with Clint Dempsey, Louis Saha and Brian McBride. He's not at statue level, fair enough, but he's due a Forever Fulham award from David Daly in five years' time, at half-time during a midweek league match against Lincoln City.

Premier League Parker
When Parker arrived in SW6 in 2013, it felt like a bit of a coup. Sure, he was nearly 33 years old and in the autumn of his career, but he was an established international, starting all four matches in England's (albeit ill-fated) Euro 2012 campaign. He'd also won the Football Writers' Association player of the season in 2011.

On paper, Parker was exactly what we needed. But there were far too many other jigsaw pieces missing for him to have an impact for us in the Premier League. We, of course, went down in May 2014. What was interesting, though, was that Scotty stayed. Speaking to the BBC in 2014, you could already hear shades of Parker the manager.

"I am a firm believer in continuity," he said, reflecting on the circus that was 2013/14. "I understand there is a time when things need to change but certainly last year it was not easy. When you do make so many changes it becomes very difficult. Different styles, ideas and philosophies is not helpful."

Parker played 90 games for us in the Championship, until he hung up his boots in 2017. And boy, did we need him. Assuming the captain's armband, he was a solid rod of quality in a disjointed side that was floundering in England's second tier. Who knows what might've happened without him.

His time was mostly spent down the bottom of the league, but he did help us mount one play-off push, in his final season as a player. What a redemption story it could've been, were it not for the world's most pointless football club™, Reading FC.

The return
Parker then went off to earn his stripes coaching – a route few would've bet against in his playing days. He'd start at Spurs, and their under-18s. Slavisa Jokanovic was building something at Fulham, and while Parker left with our best wishes, there were few asking him to stay in any capacity.

Then came Wembley. Then came the white wall. Then came our return to the Premier League. And with all that came the return of Parker, who linked up with his old gaffer as a first-team coach. It was a somewhat surprising, if not welcome, move. "I have first-hand knowledge of the quality and ambition at the Club since I was a player here," he beamed upon his appointment.

Our return Premier League voyage was as disastrous as our last, and Parker ended the campaign alone in the dugout, as our permanent manager. His three wins in his 10 games in charge lightened the mood somewhat at the end of a torrid campaign, but some sections of the fanbase were labelling Parker a sort of grim reaper; always present during our darkest hours.

His finest hour
A little more than a year later came Scott's finest hour. Another trip to Wembley (playing and coaching staff only, of course) saw another win and another return to the Premier League. Let's not mess around here: this game was huge. Whether you think Parker should've taken us up automatically or not (and I do), just remember how you felt when Brentford won promotion last month. Now imagine how you'd have felt if you watched them beat us at Wembley. For helping us avoid that heartache alone, Parker's alright by me.

Scenes of Scott's emotional Chinese takeaway-inspired post-match comments endeared him to us like never before. Stories of his off-the-cuff tactical message to Joe Bryan regarding David Raya's positioning made him feel like prime Pep Guardiola, and there was no way weren't surviving in the Prem this time around.

His darkest hour
Except we didn't. We don't need to go over the season again, but frustrating tactical rigidity and a lack of a plan B did little to strengthen the bond between manager and fans (not that there were any around). There's a completely separate argument regarding recruitment and support from the top – believe me, I'm not forgetting that – but the evidence provided from the tools available was disappointing.

We went down once again, and the grim reaper label grew stronger. Except it's an unfair one. Scott Parker wasn't solely to blame for our relegation in 2014. He wasn't at all to blame for it in 2019. Parker has helped Fulham Football Club during more than a few difficult periods. On the pitch and off it. We don't have to be threatened with extinction to endure tough times. And endure some we have; highs and lows aplenty.

Though I wasn't there, I liken Parker's contribution to the club to Ray Lewington's in the 1980s. Lew was brought in as the Football League's youngest manager amid instability at the top of the club and steered us to the play-offs against all odds. He did it because he loved Fulham. And you can see that affection remains to this day.

If you want a more contemporary example, then I give you Kit Symons. He was having a great time coaching the academy, when the first team came calling. He could never – and would never – turn it down. But Kit was dealt a stinker of a hand in a post-Magath world – and he couldn't win with it, no matter how well he might be able to bluff.

Parker was dealt a terrible hand when he arrived as a player. He was hardly handed a pair of aces when he took on the role of manager, either. But he made a good fist of both. And, for me, over the course of his seven-or-eight years at the club, he's up there with FFC legends.

Thank you, Scott.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2021-06-28-scott-parker-is-a-fulham-legend-heres-why/

Legend? For total failure? Someone needs to take stock of what's been written above. I totally disagree with the content. Parker a Fulham legend?  Then I'm a neotic scientist

bencher

Quote from: blingo on June 29, 2021, 09:57:55 AM

Premier League Parker

The return

His finest hour

His darkest hour

Thank you, Scott.

Legend? For total failure? Someone needs to take stock of what's been written above. I totally disagree with the content. Parker a Fulham legend?  Then I'm a neotic scientist

He's not a legend, but he also shouldn't be a figure of hate. People have quite a lot of love for SJ but he also failed in the Premier League. Parker got us promoted but wasn't able to do enough with the team in the PL. It's time to move on.

grandad

Calling Parker a legend is an insult to the real legends. Haynes, Cohen, Tosh, Saha, Dead Snake, Bazza Hayles, McBride to name just a few.
Where there's a will there's a wife