https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Should it be God save our gracious Queen

Started by blingo, July 09, 2021, 03:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blingo

Two Ton Ted

Jerusalem.

As a proud Englishman and as a Atheist Republican I have a huge problem with GSTQ.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

There are several that it could be and Imwoukd throw in.    I vow to thee my country

cmg

Quote from: Two Ton Ted on July 09, 2021, 03:36:59 PM
Jerusalem.

Always amazes me when this one is suggested.
Not sure that the situation in Jerusalem is one that any sane country would aspire to.

If we were to go for some foreign country's major town, at least go for one with a decent tune: Barcelona, Montego Bay or, even, San Francisco (Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair).

john dempsey

Steeeeeeeeeed

I am the Resurrection Stone Roses... Always pumps people up.

jayffc

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Holders

Jerusalem.

As a proud Englishman and as a Atheist Republican I have a huge problem with GSTQ.

As a proud Englishman and an atheist republican i have a huge problem with Jerusalem as well as GSTQ. I do not vow to my country above all earthly things so its LOHAG for me.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Agado or the birdy song. Both classics that no one can deny A) knowing all the words and B) dancing to when they come on at weddings etc.

jarv

Sorry Blingo mate. Neither. I dislike this nationalist nonsense intensely. It's just football. England have some great players...but...

Struggled against Scotland, second best to Denmark until the danes were down to 10 men and the very skillful Sterling had to cheat to get into the final.  Never a penalty, Sterling was looking for it. However, he is good at that (like a certain Rodney Marsh used to).

Good result but sour taste left behind. The rest of Europe apparently agrees.

H4usuallysitting

shepperton white

Despite being a monarchist, I do believe Jerusalem is a more appropriate anthem.  GSTQ and Land of Hope and Glory are a bit jingoistic and hark back to the old British Empire days. Clearly we are no longer an imperialist state (thank God).

RaySmith

Quote from: Holders on July 09, 2021, 05:47:37 PM
Jerusalem.

As a proud Englishman and an atheist republican i have a huge problem with Jerusalem as well as GSTQ. I do not vow to my country above all earthly things so its LOHAG for me.

It is a mythical Jerusalem, written by William Blake in the  18th C , so not much relationship to the present actual place, though i suppose this is the same place geographically as referred to in the Bible.

The words are resonant for me, even though I'm not religious, 'was Jerusalem builded here in England's green and pleasant land.'

But I think we need something new.

Jim©

Quote from: jarv on July 09, 2021, 06:25:39 PM
Sorry Blingo mate. Neither. I dislike this nationalist nonsense intensely. It's just football. England have some great players...but...

Struggled against Scotland, second best to Denmark until the danes were down to 10 men and the very skillful Sterling had to cheat to get into the final.  Never a penalty, Sterling was looking for it. However, he is good at that (like a certain Rodney Marsh used to).

Good result but sour taste left behind. The rest of Europe apparently agrees.

Second best to Denmark? Ha ha, yeah of course. There's a reason their keeper was man of thr match in most places. One goal conceded in 6 games.

AnotherOldgit

GSTQ is the English Anthem, all the other bits of GB are just occupied countries!  :005::

I Ronic

Quote from: RufusBrevettatemyhamster on July 09, 2021, 05:57:24 PM
Agado or the birdy song. Both classics that no one can deny A) knowing all the words and B) dancing to when they come on at weddings etc.

England teams are rubbish at singing the Natiinal Anthem  but the birds song with all the moves? I reckon they could smash that!

gerrys

Quote from: AnotherOldgit on July 09, 2021, 09:46:04 PM
GSTQ is the English Anthem, all the other bits of GB are just occupied countries!  :005::
The Tudors came from Wales and reigned over the two countries.........then the Stuarts came from Scotland and reigned over the three countries......so I would suggest that GSTQ is the UK National Anthem.......England needs its own.....

St Eve

It should be Jerusalem. GSTQ is the British national anthem.

Holders

If we're going to adopt a song about some other country's major city I suggest one that's secular, not a hymn - like Barcelona or San Francisco (wear some flowers in your hair). Both nice tunes and inoffensive.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria