watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

National anthems pre match

Started by Abbotsbury White, July 07, 2021, 07:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Cut out the booing please, lets try to get sportsmanship back into football.

bobbo

Quote from: Twig on July 08, 2021, 02:05:11 PM
Nothing to do with soapboxes it's about respect for other nations and their supporters. All part of the global football family.  Just because some Italian fans booed the Spanish anthem doesn't make it acceptable.
absolutely. In my book it disgraceful booing a national anthem , not only that but a piece of pond life chose to put a laser on schmichiel at the penalty . I say stick yourself forward and face the music , let's all see what kind of creature you are.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

I Ronic

Southgate seems to be held in high regard by the squad and the pundits maybe he could ask the fans to respect the the other teams anthem and his players taking the knee.

Dr Know

I always turn the sound off on my tv when any , including ours, national anthems are played !

ALG01

to be honest I thought we had got past this childish disrespectful behaviour. shame has made such a comeback.
I do think that it reflects on what is happening in Brexit Britain as johnny foreigner is repeatedly disparaged in the popular and mainstream press.

it is a very bad thing to be happening.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Dr Know on July 08, 2021, 08:38:13 PM
I always turn the sound off on my tv when any , including ours, national anthems are played !

Never watch this pointless bit of bravado. There is a game to watch nothing more. Stop playing blimmin anthems and people will stop booing them.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

flyingfish

I honestly couldn't give a toss about booing the national anthem. In fact I think it's quite funny. And even funnier is the hysterical reaction to it. Fans have always tried to rile up the opposition, and the line between booing a player, or singing a song about them, or you fat bastard or whatever, or songs mocking the place where the game is placed (eg you have to live here, we get to go home') is all part of the sport, being a supporter, the atmosphere etc etc. The difference between all these aspects of fan behaviour and booing the national anthem is such a spurious and artificial one as to be irrelevant and not matter at all! Is it all Ok if we wait until the anthem is over before we start winding up the opposition? Is that OK? But not during the fancy song.

It's just a song, not a religious prayer for god's sake.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Abbotsbury White

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on July 08, 2021, 05:48:29 PM
what about mooing
:005: not sure about mooing but cooing might be fine..
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

Logicalman

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on July 08, 2021, 05:48:29 PM
what about mooing

.. or some guy named Cantona Kung-Fooing, though not Wooing!

.. but no Looing - or the one with P (especially on the pitch)
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Wolf

Quote from: flyingfish on July 09, 2021, 02:09:03 PM
It's just a song, not a religious prayer for god's sake.

That made me laugh.

Somewhat spurious to bring religion into it though.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

MartyFFC

Quote from: ALG01 on July 08, 2021, 08:52:14 PM
to be honest I thought we had got past this childish disrespectful behaviour. shame has made such a comeback.
I do think that it reflects on what is happening in Brexit Britain as johnny foreigner is repeatedly disparaged in the popular and mainstream press.

Booing a national anthem, something which many countries including England have consistently done for decades; is attributable to Brexit. Superb!

Somerset Fulham

Do you not see how utterly disrespectful to the players representing their nation with pride for a bunch of knuckledragging mouthbreathers to boo?  I mean, grown men booing is utterly pathetic anyway, but that's a different story.

I had never thought of it before, but Lighthouse is right, do away with the anthems and the problem goes away, but until that happens, people need to learn to respect them, I think.

blingo

Perhaps respect, and not the national anthem is the problem then.

Somerset Fulham

100%. But like most things these days, it's about the individual and not the collective.

Statto

Quote from: MartyFFC on July 10, 2021, 02:35:57 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on July 08, 2021, 08:52:14 PM

Booing a national anthem, something which many countries including England have consistently done for decades; is attributable to Brexit. Superb!

Oh come on, we never had racism, hooliganism or anything like that in the 1970s and 80s.

HV71

Booing the anthems is just wrong. Terrible thing to do . We must respect other countries and their cultures.

Peabody

Do not these people booing other teams National Anthem's not realise that all they are doing is giving the opposition the motivation to try even harder against us.