more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tim Ream

Started by Allestree andy, July 15, 2021, 07:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimOG

Quote from: Oakeshott on July 15, 2021, 10:47:52 AM

"It might help to be of the older generation to appreciate MRDA - Mandy Rice-Davies Applies."

I certainly appreciated MR-D, in my view more attractive and interesting than CK. I've even given her a small (and entirely ficticious) role in one of my books as a benefactor of a young girl on her uppers in London.

I got that easily....can I have a Blue Peter badge?

perry geyton

He just sounds well relieved that Parker's gone

blingo

blingo

Quote from: JimOG on July 15, 2021, 02:18:51 PM

"It might help to be of the older generation to appreciate MRDA - Mandy Rice-Davies Applies."

I certainly appreciated MR-D, in my view more attractive and interesting than CK. I've even given her a small (and entirely ficticious) role in one of my books as a benefactor of a young girl on her uppers in London.

I never got it so I'm sending you my crackerjack pencil

JimOG

Quote from: blingo on July 15, 2021, 02:49:11 PM
Quote from: JimOG on July 15, 2021, 02:18:51 PM

Careful now or you'll be watching wall to wall episodes of the Beverley Hillbillies  :dft012:

I never got it so I'm sending you my crackerjack pencil

Holders

Quote from: Fulham1959 on July 15, 2021, 10:03:13 AM
Quote from: Holders on July 15, 2021, 09:28:53 AM
Quote from: Fulham1959 on July 15, 2021, 09:22:33 AM
ITK = In The Know (presumably)

MRDA! - that's got me baffled.

NSAs (non-standard abbreviations) (and that's a little joke) are not helpful to many of us in the older generation.

It might help to be of the older generation to appreciate MRDA - Mandy Rice-Davies Applies.

OK, thanks - but it's not exactly an everyday abbreviation, certainly not in my sheltered life ;-). 

Actually her quote is a favourite of mine and so fundamentally true.

It wasn't meant to be obscure, or something that I made up, or even recent text-slang. This from Wikipaedia:

Whilst being cross-examined at Ward's trial, Rice-Davies made a riposte which has since become famous. When James Burge, the defence counsel, pointed out that Lord Astor denied an affair or even having met her, she dismissed this, giggling "Well he would, wouldn't he?"[9] (often misquoted "Well he would say that, wouldn't he?").[10] By 1979, this phrase had entered the third edition of the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations, and is occasionally referred to with the abbreviation MRDA ("Mandy Rice-Davies applies").[11]
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

The Rock

Quote from: clarkey on July 15, 2021, 12:59:49 PM
Tim's quotes are actually tame. There were plenty of the squad who loathed Parker's tactics and high and mighty attitude.They wanted him gone.

His inexperience and sheer stubborn selections, poor substitutions and lack of dead ball tactics cost us again and again.We should have sacked him at the end of the promotion year. I think that play off goal by Joe B. saved his bacon.

Time will tell. Ream bar a spell of about 3-4 months a few years ago during our first promotion push hasn't ever made the grade so I hope this source of being "reenergized" is something like we've never seen before, or else the Parker haters will be very disappointed. 

WindyCity

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 15, 2021, 09:42:27 AM
I do not like to put players or managers on a pedestal and praise them as though they are the second coming of Jesus before they even start. That raises expectations and then if it goes pear shaped it magnifies the disappointment.
Then what was initially a fan club turns into a Lynch mob.
Many Fans are fickle at all clubs, that is human nature.
A week in football is a long time, and players and managers etc can go from hero to zero very quickly and vice versa.
Whatever supports a supporters narrative.
Success has many fathers but failure is an orphan and because of that beware the Ides of March.
For me I will just sit back and note how the new manager performs over the season and form my own judgement, and the same with players.
Opinions can be split which encourages civilised debate.
We all should want a new manager and new players to be successful but as we know it does not happen all the time, and any newcomer starts off with a clean slate, whatever he may have done in a past life.
Vision and Foresight are wonderful attributes if it can be achieved.
However then I thought to myself after the battle all the Generals are clever and have different opinions.

Nice commentary Wool

ron

So, benefactor as well did he ?

YoungsBitter

Quote from: The Rock on July 15, 2021, 03:57:33 PM
Tim's quotes are actually tame. There were plenty of the squad who loathed Parker's tactics and high and mighty attitude.They wanted him gone.

His inexperience and sheer stubborn selections, poor substitutions and lack of dead ball tactics cost us again and again.We should have sacked him at the end of the promotion year. I think that play off goal by Joe B. saved his bacon.

Time will tell. Ream bar a spell of about 3-4 months a few years ago during our first promotion push hasn't ever made the grade so I hope this source of being "reenergized" is something like we've never seen before, or else the Parker haters will be very disappointed. 
I think "hasn't ever made the grade" is harsh. He is not the fastest but he reads the game very well and is sure footed, he even looked up to the job when he mysteriously started playing at the end of last season. He was exposed for balls in the channel when Parker could not organize the midfield in the start of the last promotion season, especially when playing with Odoi or MLM as CB; with Hector, and some cover in front of him he actually was very reliable for the promotion push. I think he will be a reasonable back up to Tocin and/or Kogolo.
I thought he was pretty honest in the interview and was speaking from his heart about the impact of Silva, the only time he seemed to spouting the company line was the last bit about how great the crowd is.
Quark, strangeness and charm

Plodder

There were plenty of the squad who loathed Parker's tactics and high and mighty attitude.They wanted him gone.

How do you know this to be the case?