News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tricky question - smart answer required...

Started by Edwatch_Winston_Malone, December 20, 2010, 08:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

I have been emailed by a company that I applied to for a job and they have advised that they are looking to short list for the job and, wait for it....

What are your salary expectations for this role? 

How do I get past the  "asked for too much" rejection without falling into "should have asked for more" acceptance whist not getting caught in the "answer the bl**dy question you timewaster" trap?

White Noise

I would suggest saying something like 'I have predominantly been interviewing for roles between £45,000 and £55,000' (insert your own figures)

Jimpav

I would state your highest expectation and then say that you are willing to compromise in lieu of this being a position that you are very excited about/keen to fulfil and that it is a great opportunity. Also state that your experience and ability reflects the said figure.

Good luck.

RidgeRider

Try this first:

http://www.salary.com/salary/index.asp

To see what the going rate is. Not sure if this is U.S. only but it should give you some idea.

I would be clear on the salary range that a position like this pays, so you know what range you should be in. It's a strange question in that I would have thought they would have discussed this 'up front' but try answering the question by saying something like I would expect my compensation to be commensurate with the value I bring to the organization and in-line with what others at the company who have the same role are paid. Having said that though you should do the research to know the range of salaries you could receive and have a 'walking away' bottom you would not accept anything less.

Burt

I am in the HR game and if this is them (rather than an agency) asking the question then that is quite unusual.

Would suggest you mention your current package, state that for the right opportunity you are prepared to be flexible, and ask what they are looking at in terms of potential package.

finnster01

I would simply just let them know that you would be looking for nothing more than what the average South American guest worker would be making so a package like Tevez would be just fine.  :029:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

HatterDon

It is always best to remember that folks in what we here in the States call "Human Resources" are looking for reasons NOT to hire you. I've always been concerned with the "expected range of salary" questions because it puts you on the defensive. Luckily, I was never asked this via email, but in conversations with my prospective boss -- NOT HR. My response in those situations was, "Give me the very best offer you believe my qualifications merit." I hate guessing games like this.

Best of luck.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

YankeeJim

As a general comment, my niece who at one time worked in HR in a fairly large company said they as part of her training, they were told, "HR is here to protect the company, not the employee". A good thing to bear in mind.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Blingo

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Thanks for all the very useful advice, which I have used. 

I will post my response and the result it got me - if anyone is interested in the new year - I don't expect to hear back over the Xmas period.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Short update, following advice recieved on here I emailed

"Thank you for getting back to me.  I think that my salary expectations are in line with your earlier indications of a range "between £**,000 and £**,000 dependant on experience" and with my relevant experience and qualifications, I would be looking to be near the higher end of the range quoted.

I hope this answers your query but if you would like to talk further please do not hesitate to call me "

I now have a message to call them, I expect it is about the money

any further advice?

mccscratch

Quote from: Edward_Winston_Malone on December 30, 2010, 04:46:23 PM
Short update, following advice recieved on here I emailed

"Thank you for getting back to me.  I think that my salary expectations are in line with your earlier indications of a range "between £**,000 and £**,000 dependant on experience" and with my relevant experience and qualifications, I would be looking to be near the higher end of the range quoted.

I hope this answers your query but if you would like to talk further please do not hesitate to call me "

I now have a message to call them, I expect it is about the money

any further advice?

If the position interests you as much or more than the salary hike be very upfront in stating that securing a position with them is every bit as important as the compensation. If they know you want them for them first and foremost then often the financial investment they make in you seems much less risky.
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

finnster01

If it is the money, I would simply say that as long as we are in the same range, it is just a question of  gymnastics. The more important point is whether we all view it as a good fit on both sides, and if the answer is yes, I am sure we can agree on the wages.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Irelands_number1

covered this a few months back in uni, if i remember correctly :
you ask for 8 heineken and 3 vodka red bulls,     thats all i remember.
no really though we were told you never put a low sum in, 1) it shows that you dont value yourself very highly and 2) theyl take advantage of a low offer.
they wont think oh isnt he a greedy bugger asking for too much, so put a figure towards the high end of the pay scale. and some will admire your self confidence!

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Following on from this advice I was interviewed and offered the role at the very top of the range quoted - thanks for the support...

Jimbobob

Quote from: Edward_Winston_Malone on December 20, 2010, 08:55:27 PM
I have been emailed by a company that I applied to for a job and they have advised that they are looking to short list for the job and, wait for it....

How do I get past the  "asked for too much" rejection without falling into "should have asked for more" acceptance whist not getting caught in the "answer the bl**dy question you timewaster" trap?

This is one you do not answer directly.
Are you working with a recruiter our doing this on your own?
If a recuiter then they should have given expectations.
If on your own then many postings will state a salary range.
If you have no idea then state your expectations are in line with the market rate and your experience.
When this is done on e-mail especially you state as I said above.
Hope this helps..it is a trap type question. That is why you need specific information about said position and what it normally pays.
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

Logicalman

Quote from: Jimbobob18 on January 28, 2011, 06:11:10 PM
Quote from: Edward_Winston_Malone on December 20, 2010, 08:55:27 PM

This is one you do not answer directly.
Are you working with a recruiter our doing this on your own?
If a recuiter then they should have given expectations.
If on your own then many postings will state a salary range.
If you have no idea then state your expectations are in line with the market rate and your experience.
When this is done on e-mail especially you state as I said above.
Hope this helps..it is a trap type question. That is why you need specific information about said position and what it normally pays.

JimBob,  I don't think he's after any more now .... read the following ..

Quote from: Edward_Winston_Malone on January 28, 2011, 05:32:56 PM
Following on from this advice I was interviewed and offered the role at the very top of the range quoted - thanks for the support...

HatterDon

Quote from: Edward_Winston_Malone on January 28, 2011, 05:32:56 PM

Well done, sir. That is no mean feat in this economy. Glad you were able to wrest the power position away from HR.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel