watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Southampton v Fulham 1976

Started by BarneyTravers, July 20, 2021, 07:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarneyTravers

Re-run was on ITV4 Big Match earlier...hard to believe it was nearly four and a half decades ago...never seen that softly spoken tiger Alec Stock look so miffed as he did talking to Brian Moore....what a classy proud man he was.......be fair to say Lester Shapter was not on Alec's Christmas card list after that hideous officiating...George was distraught coming off.

SP

I can vividly recall that match, I'm sure the ref dined out on that for years.

blingo

Long before my time Barney hahahahahahaha

ALG01

i went.
It was a travesty from start to finish as southampton kicked hell out of best and marsh and the ref did nothing.
it was clear he wanted to send one or both of them off from early on and best gave him an excuse.

the referee should have been struck off. dreadful advert for the integrity of referees. that game and the away cup fixture at bolton, which i also atended when moore was sent off woke me up to the fact referees are not honest and I have not seen much to make me change my opinion.

bill taylors apprentice

I was at the game and confirm Southampton did their best to kick Best and Marsh out of the game which were never shown in the highlights and the ref was a joke!

Today they would have replayed and analysed all the horrendous challenges but Brian Moore didn't want to rock the boat  and made it all about the sending off.

bobby01

Can anyone tell me why best was sent off, I can't remember.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Baszab

Best - we were pretty close - he called the linesman a f****** c***
Ref came rushing over from memory