watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Joachim Andersen to Palace?

Started by WindyCity, July 28, 2021, 06:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Second season in the Premier League (for those pedants outs there, I didn't put premiership) he runs the risk of being found out by the better forwards. Solid player for us, but we weren't great so was it us making him look good or vice versa?

bencher

I too am surprised that some people are focusing on his limitations. For a player that had never played in the PL, nor at Fulham, he came in and was immediately a huge improvement. A leader, a great passer, a natural defender. Every player has a weakness of some kind. He is not pacy but I don't think it's fair to call him slow. Let's not forget Hangeland was no sprinter either. The best defenders rarely have to make a last ditch tackle because they spot the danger early. If he has a good season with Palace I would expect there will be top 4-6 teams sniffing around.

HV71

Quote from: bencher on July 29, 2021, 08:40:16 AM
I too am surprised that some people are focusing on his limitations. For a player that had never played in the PL, nor at Fulham, he came in and was immediately a huge improvement. A leader, a great passer, a natural defender. Every player has a weakness of some kind. He is not pacy but I don't think it's fair to call him slow. Let's not forget Hangeland was no sprinter either. The best defenders rarely have to make a last ditch tackle because they spot the danger early. If he has a good season with Palace I would expect there will be top 4-6 teams sniffing around.

Very well said

blingo

He would have been better off at Fulham. One season of Championship football then back to the Premier League.

Andy S

It's not a case of knocking the guy as he is obviously a good player but eventually good coaches spot any weakness in a player. Could that have happened or maybe he was carrying an injury. We will never know.He deserved player of the season and I wish him all the best ay Palace who were being tipped for the drop after Roy and Ray departed. They have a lot to do at palace but good luck to them

filham

Without doubt Andersen was the best center back we have had since Hangeland, suspect we may struggle again in that position this season.

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: blingo on July 29, 2021, 10:28:41 AM
He would have been better off at Fulham. One season of Championship football then back to the Premier League.

I presume that this has been posted with tongue very firmly in cheek.

MartyFFC

Not sure his lack of pace detracts from his value; I mean we've just seen a defensive masterclass from Chiellini at the Euros and the fella can hardly move. Not that I'm putting Andersen in the same bracket obviously; however it's a great signing for Palace. Perhaps we can sign him in 12 months time after we go up following Palace's inevitable relegation

blingo

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on July 29, 2021, 11:00:53 AM

Far from it Sir. With him in our back four we would have had the best defence in the chumpionship by a mile. Sir Alex of Ferguson said, strikers win you games, defenders win you trophies.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

If there was any possibility of one player we should have signed this year it should have been Andersen
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Deeping_white on July 28, 2021, 08:31:02 PM
Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on July 28, 2021, 08:19:23 PM
Confirmed he's signed. Great signing for them.

Unsurprising to see the typical revisionist posts, now he's left he's somehow a perceived to be inferior to when he was here.

Ok I'll bite because I'm assuming I'm part of the revisionism since I called him slow? You can't really deny that his pace was an issue, there were several instances of him getting turned and not being able to recover because he's slow, and in the PL that's an issue because 80% of wingers are rapid and in a team that sits higher up the pitch, he's going to be exposed for a lack of pace which is probably why he's going to a more defensive Palace team rather than expansive Spurs who wanted him before Palace initially

Not aimed at you,  though I think he'd do well at Spurs or Arsenal despite his pace. He's got good positioning and anticipation so less likely to get caught out of position, though of course it will still happen.

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: blingo on July 29, 2021, 02:28:12 PM

Far from it Sir. With him in our back four we would have had the best defence in the chumpionship by a mile. Sir Alex of Ferguson said, strikers win you games, defenders win you trophies.

I'm still not sure how a CL semi finalist and last 16 if the European Championships with Premier League, Ligue Un and Serie A experience would be better off in the Championship though.  :005: 

I would love for him to be here, but it's was never to happen and in no way a forward step for the guy.

WindyCity

Can't really understand all the shade on Palace.  Regardless what the oddsmakers say, Palace has been a very consistent mid table side, sometimes finding themselves in top half of table at various times early in seasons.  I see them staying up this campaign and the JA acquisition can only help their cause.

Tabby

Quote from: WindyCity on July 29, 2021, 04:07:28 PM
Can't really understand all the shade on Palace.  Regardless what the oddsmakers say, Palace has been a very consistent mid table side, sometimes finding themselves in top half of table at various times early in seasons.  I see them staying up this campaign and the JA acquisition can only help their cause.

Problem is that they have to build almost an entire new squad this season. Seems like Viera has been given the money that Hodgson didn't though, so they might pull it off.

bobbo

I can't believe I'm typing this, that I'm surprised anyone could make any criticism of him at all .
Yes he made a rare mistake now and then but who doesn't .I so wish it was us he signed for.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

bog

Areola has joined Wet Spam

I wonder of Leftus-Quick will be snapped up 

blingo

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on July 29, 2021, 03:45:03 PM
Quote from: blingo on July 29, 2021, 02:28:12 PM

I'm still not sure how a CL semi finalist and last 16 if the European Championships with Premier League, Ligue Un and Serie A experience would be better off in the Championship though.  :005: 

I would love for him to be here, but it's was never to happen and in no way a forward step for the guy.
[/quote

He'd be playing for the best football club in the world. He should consider it a privilege.

bog

Quote from: rogerpbackinMidEastUS on July 29, 2021, 02:59:52 PM
If there was any possibility of one player we should have signed this year it should have been Andersen

+1. My best memory is of the 0-1 win at Anfield where his long passing from the back to Lookman was brilliant. Then right at the end his blocking of a shot then high fiving all around him.  :54:

092.gif   

Somerset Fulham

WindyCity

Quote from: Tabby on July 29, 2021, 04:50:12 PM
Quote from: WindyCity on July 29, 2021, 04:07:28 PM
Problem is that they have to build almost an entire new squad this season. Seems like Viera has been given the money that Hodgson didn't though, so they might pull it off.

Well, just looking at the cream, Palace has Zaha, Eze and now Andersen.  That's three pretty dang good players out of the 10 field positions.  There is the challenge of working with new coach/coaching staff, but, who knows, that could turn to be a good/motivating thing?  Anyway, don't know all the particulars regarding Palace rebuild, but they've already got some very good players and a history of being competitive in the Prem since their last promotion.