watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Five Live review of the year

Started by The Bronsons, December 21, 2010, 07:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bronsons

They're discussing Fulham's run to the Europa League Final at the moment. Five minutes of clips from commentaries. The presenter asks a question about Fulham; pundit answers by talking about Hodgson and Liverpool; presenter tries again; same response; presenter says, okay we'll talk about Hodgson at Liverpool in a minute, and asks another question about Fulham; response mentions Bolton then talks about Liverpool.  
:tom:  :019:

White Noise

Aside from the fact its Fulham when will any of these morons learn to listen to the question and answer it properly. What about a bit of professional respect for their colleagues if nothing else.  :035:

finnster01

The day we get pundit and media respect it will be snowing in hell.

The fact that we went further in Europe than any other English club, played more matches than any other club in all of Europe, etc doesn't matter.

We are Fulham and shat upon every day by the pundits.

But you know what, we are Fulham, the oldest club in London and arguably all of England's second favorite team (for those non-Fulham).

COYW!!!
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

sipwell

As an academic, I can say that is a classic tactic. If you don't know the answer to a question (Fulham, what's that?), you respond with what you do know rather than admitting you don't.

My view is: you can't be a pundit if you don't know every single detail about all teams in the Prem, just like you can't be a radio-academic if you don't master your field. End of.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: sipwell on December 21, 2010, 10:15:53 PM
As an academic, I can say that is a classic tactic. If you don't know the answer to a question (Fulham, what's that?), you respond with what you do know rather than admitting you don't.

My view is: you can't be a pundit if you don't know every single detail about all teams in the Prem, just like you can't be a radio-academic if you don't master your field. End of.

Whilst knowing everything about football would be a bit extreme to qualify as a pundit, I agree with your general point.

The whole Shearer debacle over Hatem Ben Arfa was a perfect case. I could have given you a rundown based on football manager, never mind google/wiki.

As a general rule, ex-players as pundits are awful because they are generally thick. Managers are pretty good but my favs are people like James Richardson and Barry Glendenning at the Guardian and Gabriel Marcotti who is generally pretty spot on.

MJG

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on December 22, 2010, 12:02:05 AM
Quote from: sipwell on December 21, 2010, 10:15:53 PM

Whilst knowing everything about football would be a bit extreme to qualify as a pundit, I agree with your general point.

The whole Shearer debacle over Hatem Ben Arfa was a perfect case. I could have given you a rundown based on football manager, never mind google/wiki.

As a general rule, ex-players as pundits are awful because they are generally thick. Managers are pretty good but my favs are people like James Richardson and Barry Glendenning at the Guardian and Gabriel Marcotti who is generally pretty spot on.
The "experts" that our tv companies put forward are just ex players who come and collect their money say the usual rubbish and do zip research. TBH I think Colloymore & Nevin are two of the better ex pros on TV, at least they seem to have done some kind of background checks on what they are talking about even if you dont agree with them.
James Richardson..why has he never had the main gig with BBC/Sky i do not know, maybe because he would blow the rest out of the water.

b+w geezer

James Richardson..why has he never had the main gig with BBC/Sky i do not know, maybe because he would blow the rest out of the water.
I'm out of touch with Richardson, but remember him from Football Italia many years ago. At the time I believe he self-described as a journalist with no previous interest in football who happened to be living in the country. He soon picked it up, and indeed you don't need to be a rocket scientist, let alone ex-player, do you.

sipwell

I have to know every in and out of my job and I doubt you'll have to know all that too. Why give those people some slack? All they have to do is watch football games and get a real interest in the game :o
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

BalDrick

Jim Beglin knows his eggs. More than can be said for the majority on the Beeb.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: sipwell on December 22, 2010, 08:51:54 AM

I have to know every in and out of my job and I doubt you'll have to know all that too. Why give those people some slack? All they have to do is watch football games and get a real interest in the game :o

TBH, they shouldn't.

To anyone who wants some good punditry head over to the guardian for the football weekly podcast - it is free and usually pretty funny - full of puns too.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: BalDrick on December 22, 2010, 08:55:41 AM
Jim Beglin knows his eggs. More than can be said for the majority on the Beeb.
His accent on Pro Evo 2011 is getting on my nerves. I like the sunday supplement on Sky on sunday morning, but can never remember the names of the good or bad guests.