News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

This is the reason we shouldn't be negative towards our own players/staff.

Started by jeremyfulham, August 06, 2021, 02:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeremyfulham

Just read Tim Reams piece for the Athletic,the players and staff do read your negative comments and it affects them in some cases badly,it doesn't improve anyone.
If just 1 person stops and thinks before posting negative personal comments then this post has achieved its aim, we all get frustrated at times but please get behind the team or just don't voice your displeasure and potentially worsen the situation.
COYW  049:gif

filham

Agree that we shouldn't be negative about players but it is difficult at times. I am particularly concerned about the fact that we only scored nine goals at the Cottage last season and when I suspect we may again use some of the same attacking players  this season it is hard not to be negative.
I suppose the answer is just not to mention the players you are concerned about.

So, I am looking forward to seeing how Mitro and Wilson will perform in our front three on Sunday and hope they will be joined by Cavelho or Kebano. No pressure but I want to see at least two goals from this new attack.

Fernhurst

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

FFCFOREVER

Yeah but when you spend your hard earned on going to watch these players and certain ones don't perform as expected then being negative is not the end of the world as long as there's no personal attacks and discrimination involved on them. I never read the piece but did he mention about when or if players get praised?  Because I would praise a player for doing something good just as I would be slightly negative if they ballsed something up.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

I dont get why anyone is surprised by this. Its hardly rocket science to work out that reading your own fans slagging you off is gonna a have  a negative affect on you.

Twig

Quote from: FFCFOREVER on August 06, 2021, 03:34:58 PM
Yeah but when you spend your hard earned on going to watch these players and certain ones don't perform as expected then being negative is not the end of the world as long as there's no personal attacks and discrimination involved on them. I never read the piece but did he mention about when or if players get praised?  Because I would praise a player for doing something good just as I would be slightly negative if they ballsed something up.

I think you need to read it.

Statto

Never have and never will boo or shout abuse at a Fulham player during a match. But as to the general issue of the flack they take, let's not lose sight of the fact they're free to do another, lower profile job like everyone else, and the reason they don't is because they want the obscene amounts of money football offers them.

FFCFOREVER

Quote from: Statto on August 06, 2021, 04:08:40 PM
Never have and never will boo or shout abuse at a Fulham player during a match. But as to the general issue of the flack they take, let's not lose sight of the fact they're free to do another, lower profile job like everyone else, and the reason they don't is because they want the obscene amounts of money football offers them.
This

Twig

Quote from: jeremyfulham on August 06, 2021, 02:38:13 PM
Just read Tim Reams piece for the Athletic,the players and staff do read your negative comments and it affects them in some cases badly,it doesn't improve anyone.
If just 1 person stops and thinks before posting negative personal comments then this post has achieved its aim, we all get frustrated at times but please get behind the team or just don't voice your displeasure and potentially worsen the situation.

In general I agree and the same applies to mangers and coaches and even the administrators like Ali Mac and TK! However I do think there is a difference between slagging off and personal abuse vs balanced and objective criticism.  Provided it is in proportion I see nothing wrong with the latter.

Lighthouse

Hang on. If the players who are paid lots of money didn't want to have negative comments then just maybe they shouldn't read social media. I am not sure MBs like FOF contribute to much bad comments. But we are all economically and emotionally invested in the club and game so we will comment.

Players are over praised and made into mini kings and gods when they do something well. I hear no complaints from them about our over enthusiasm. Sorry but don't read social media or MBs if you only want your ego massaged.

Oh by the way please don't criticise me  for my comment or in any way disagree. My mental well being will be damaged.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

bog

I have to be honest when we played United at the end of the season I was expecting a 6-0. But we should have won and Tim at the back was exceptional so he shut me up. Good luck to him.  :54:  049:gif

092.gif 

BarryP

Just for the record he was talking specifically about personal attacks not criticizing him as a football player and he spelled that out clearly.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

FFCFOREVER

Quote from: BarryP on August 06, 2021, 04:48:10 PM
Just for the record he was talking specifically about personal attacks not criticizing him as a football player and he spelled that out clearly.
Then there is no excuse for that.

Asotosyios

Exactly that - it looks like the OP has missed this.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

The Rock

"It's not personal Sonny, it's strictly business". I love Tim Ream, but I think he is an average Championship player that has been past his sell date. He gets paid a lot of money, I bet he can't handle it.

I can't find the article, but if someone has the link would read.

filham

Oh well then I am 100% behind him, there really is no need for personal attacks.
I was about to say that perhaps it is not unreasonable for us to offer negative criticism when an attacking player that we paid millions for and is earning a good few thousand a week is not performing and  if he only scores two or three goals in a season.

Twig

Quote from: The Rock on August 06, 2021, 05:06:10 PM

"It's not personal Sonny, it's strictly business". I love Tim Ream, but I think he is an average Championship player that has been past his sell date. He gets paid a lot of money, I bet he can't handle it.

He was excellent when he got his chance towards the end of last season which certainly surprised me. I'd say you need to just be a little more open minded.

WindyCity

I never boo at games.  That's rather boorish in my book.  However, these guys are professional, highly paid athletes, and criticism comes with the territory, along with the praise.  These guys need to have thicker skin.  In my view, fans are absolutely allowed to offer constructive criticism or disappointment with performances.  That's what fans do.  That's what forums such as this are all about.  If a player decides to read this forum and view the negative, and actually let it affect him, then THAT'S ON THE PLAYER!  Players need to be smart enough to avoid fan forums and other social media unless they really want to view some harsh and negative stuff.  And should that impact them, then shame on them. 

BarryP

You really should append this to your original post as this is what Ream actually said.

QuoteYou can say whatever you want about me as a player, as an athlete, it doesn't bother me. We're taught from a young age that it's water off a duck's back. You're never going to please everybody. But when it's personal, I think that's when it really gets to guys. I just think there's no need for it."
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

RaySmith

I think Ream was speaking of general negativity, as well as personal abuse, which he was obviously against.

Just listen to the 606 phone in - everyone has something negative to say usually about their own team - which is never good enough.

I myself find the constant negativity  very depressing, as if a team can't lose a game or drop a single point, let alone for a player to miss a  scoring chance, without arousing fan's ire, without much n the way of any positive views expressed to counter all the negativity, and i see can see how players and teams must find this very discouraging.

To say they are paid enough to put up with it is missing the point, i think:
They are still, unavoidably human, just like us.
The pay is market led, and you have to be exceptionally good to get to that level to get the silly money- look at the many(most?) players who  are taken on as youngsters but don't make the grade as a pro, which is still only dependent of performances- eg, if  completely losing  form, or  having to retire through injury, the money won't be forthcoming any longer.

I can think of far more deserving of criticism cases in our society of people raking in huge money, who seem immune from criticism.

But I think there is generally too much negativity around.