Carvalho

Started by ffc_forever, August 08, 2021, 08:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tabby

Probably just negotiating.

Dougie

Quote from: Sting of the North on August 08, 2021, 10:26:41 AM
Quote from: MikeTheCubed on August 08, 2021, 10:23:20 AM
May be worth noting that Carvalho only turned pro in May 2020 when he was 17, and that it is not possible to offer long term contracts to players until they are 18.

Don't let facts stop a good rant, people are getting into the slagging off nicely...

We gave Ryan Sessegnon a 3-year deal when he was 17 and a couple of days. We gave Carvalho a 2-year deal.

He turned 18 on 30th August of last year. We could have offered him a 5 year deal on that day in theory.

Don't let facts stop a sanctimonious feeling though.

FFCFOREVER

Quote from: Dougie on August 08, 2021, 11:24:27 AM
May be worth noting that Carvalho only turned pro in May 2020 when he was 17, and that it is not possible to offer long term contracts to players until they are 18.

Don't let facts stop a good rant, people are getting into the slagging off nicely...
:005:

We gave Ryan Sessegnon a 3-year deal when he was 17 and a couple of days. We gave Carvalho a 2-year deal.

He turned 18 on 30th August of last year. We could have offered him a 5 year deal on that day in theory.

Fulham 442

Quote from: WestSussexWhite on August 08, 2021, 10:24:35 AM
So yes it's true he has rejected our first offer, however, he wants to see how much he plays first. He was offered lots of broken promises last season. I understand he still wants to stay, but he wants to wait until he's seen how much gametime he is getting. I wouldn't worry yet, I'll start worrying if no deal signed come January....
That sounds a lot better!

ianthailand

Quote from: Fulham 442 on August 08, 2021, 11:35:56 AM
So yes it's true he has rejected our first offer, however, he wants to see how much he plays first. He was offered lots of broken promises last season. I understand he still wants to stay, but he wants to wait until he's seen how much gametime he is getting. I wouldn't worry yet, I'll start worrying if no deal signed come January....
That sounds a lot better!
All i would say to Fabio is look at what's happened to Hyndman, Roberts, Sessegnon etc., who left early for a big pay day and where are they now? Maybe better to stay with us, learn his trade and move in his early 20's. Conversely, one injury and career could be over. Difficult decision for the boy, hope he is advised wisely.

Peabody

He seemed happy enough coming off the pitch after the game, waving and smiling at the crowd today

cmg

Quote from: Peabody on August 08, 2021, 07:59:20 PM
He seemed happy enough coming off the pitch after the game, waving and smiling at the crowd today

Obviously waving goodbye and smiling at the thought of the stonking great contract he's just signed with PSG or PSV or QPR or IOU or any one of the real giants of the game.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

No offence but I'll believe it when I see it. You were wrong about Cooper.

Sting of the North

No one said anything to the contrary of what you wrote, so not sure about your point. Carvalho signed a 2-year contract at 17 when he could have signed for 3 years at most. It is always a gamble with youth players, so seems fairly reasonable and common. Now when long term contracts are possible we are negotiating a new contract when he is about half way into his current deal. This is at a point when he has a handful of first team appearances, So absolutely no need to rant at this point, especially given that there is nothing in this except for an article from the Sun. Which was my point.

Statto

Quote from: Sting of the North on August 09, 2021, 06:45:40 AM

No one said anything to the contrary of what you wrote, so not sure about your point. Carvalho signed a 2-year contract at 17 when he could have signed for 3 years at most. It is always a gamble with youth players, so seems fairly reasonable and common. Now when long term contracts are possible we are negotiating a new contract when he is about half way into his current deal. This is at a point when he has a handful of first team appearances, So absolutely no need to rant at this point, especially given that there is nothing in this except for an article from the Sun. Which was my point.

Agreed. A well-advised youngster wouldn't sign anything longer than a 2 or 3 year contract anyway, and with a 2 year contract, every renegotiation is going to be "in the last year" of the current deal. Our youth setup is well run by Jennings et al and I think it's pretty naive to assume these contract situations arise just because they weren't clever enough, or were too tight, to offer a promising youngster a longer contract or competitive salary.

grandad

Porto, Wet Spam, Leeds & Norwich sniffing around according to the Daily Fail. Silva needs to have a long talk with the lad & convince him that there is plenty of time down the line for a dream big money transfer. To leave now will destroy his career. No way is he ready for a PL starting spot. He will just go out on loan never to be seen again like so many kids from all clubs.
Where there's a will there's a wife

PaulJ123

Absolutely crazy decision from him if he were to go.

As has been pointed out above, he'll get a lot of game time this season, so a real shame if he went to Leeds/West Ham where that wouldn't be the case.

MartyFFC

Perhaps he fancies following in the footsteps of Patrick Roberts, and living the dream on loan at a series of championship clubs. Think he's currently at relegation hopefuls Derby County 6 years after he left