watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Who to replace - Murphy or Etuhu?

Started by BalDrick, December 22, 2010, 04:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BalDrick

Assuming we're not going to be breaking the bank and actually buying one of each, which would be counterproductive as, in the immortal words of Henry Kelly, we're playing catch-up and haven't really got the time to basically break in an entirely new midfield.

For my money Etuhu's the one we need to look at replacing. I reckon Murph's still got it - though not for a lot longer clearly - and from the limited amount I've seen we'd be a far better team if DM had someone alongside him not actually allergic to a football. In addition to that, I'd imagine the price would be lower to replace DE.

As I've said elsewhere, top 2 priorities are a defensive midfielder and a brace of strikers. Of course Murph can play the defensive role, but it'd be more expensive, as well as harder in other ways, to buy a new string-puller. Especially when we've already got one.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: BalDrick on December 22, 2010, 04:17:55 PM
Assuming we're not going to be breaking the bank and actually buying one of each, which would be counterproductive as, in the immortal words of Henry Kelly, we're playing catch-up and haven't really got the time to basically break in an entirely new midfield.

For my money Etuhu's the one we need to look at replacing. I reckon Murph's still got it - though not for a lot longer clearly - and from the limited amount I've seen we'd be a far better team if DM had someone alongside him not actually allergic to a football. In addition to that, I'd imagine the price would be lower to replace DE.

As I've said elsewhere, top 2 priorities are a defensive midfielder and a brace of strikers. Of course Murph can play the defensive role, but it'd be more expensive, as well as harder in other ways, to buy a new string-puller. Especially when we've already got one.

I think Etuhu's dip in form is more down to the fact that he is being told to play a more attacking role that he is simply not suited to. He is a good def mid who got us to a European final and allows Murphy to play his natural game. I would wait until the summer to address those issues.

A Striker is the absolute priority. Midfield can wait.

Hazey

It's all well and good buying some gun strikers, but if we can't get them the ball then they're redundant.

Something needs to be done in midfield.  I am a simpleton and can offer no answers as to what thogh.

(Anyone else just not in the Xmas mood?)
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

WhiteJC

Quote from: Hazey on December 22, 2010, 05:04:09 PM

the way I feel at the moment you stand a good chance of convincing me that Herod was one of the good guys!  :035:

jimog

It depends on MH's kitty and TWO strikers are the priority (what if eg Santa Cruz is Cattermoled in his first game?) but Joey Barton has looked mighty impressive..

BalDrick

Quote from: WhiteJC on December 22, 2010, 05:25:37 PM

the way I feel at the moment you stand a good chance of convincing me that Herod was one of the good guys!  :035:

Nor me really. Wife and kids have gone to her dad's for a day and a bit - I'm usually flat out working at this time of year hence being able to bail out of the visit but I've had no work all week. Finished a book (All the Pretty Horses since you ask - really good), played Solitaire, done other Internet things and am now bored.

BalDrick

It's all well and good buying some gun strikers, but if we can't get them the ball then they're redundant.

Something needs to be done in midfield. 

Completely agree with this - gk is sorted, defence okay (though not perfect), midfield a vacancy, up front a few vacancies.

You could actually make a case to say 1 striker and 1 midfielder are what's needed. That would depend on your opinion of AJ though.

Hazey

I really wished AJ could of made a magnificent return, but alsa I think it ain't going to happen for him in the prem again.

1 Striker and 1 midfileder is what I would start with.  In an ideal World a 2nd striker will hopefully be secured.
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

SmithyFFC

Interesting question. There are reasonable agruements to replace both of them. Murphy, yes his legs have gone and he seems to be having a dip in form from this time last season. Etuhu, started this season well in a far more attacking role but hasn't played well since his injury.

The question is, who would it be cheaper to replace. We've been linked with Jean Makoun of Lyon, who I guess would be to replace Etuhu, but I can imagine he'd come cheap. I'd like to see Dikgacoi given a chance, but if he hasn't already I dont he will be given the chance.

Who could replace Murphy? Sidwell would be pretty cheap, and Hodgson obviously believed he could replace Murphy as he had him lined up before he left, but Sparky has already rejected the chance to sign him so thats a no. Charlie Adam, cant see him leaving Blackpool at this point of the season, and even if he wanted to I'd imagine more attractive offers will be made for him. O'Hara is defiantly possible. Would 'Arry let us have him though? I'd like to see us get Darron Gibson from United, pheraps on loan, and/or Stephen Ireland from Villa.
FTID

BalDrick

'and/or Stephen Ireland from Villa.'

Nay, nay and thrice nay!

SmithyFFC

FTID

BalDrick

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on December 22, 2010, 06:10:41 PM
Quote from: BalDrick on December 22, 2010, 06:07:21 PM
'and/or Stephen Ireland from Villa.'

Nay, nay and thrice nay!

Why?!

Overrated and hugely overpaid IMO. See also Downing, Stewart.

Lighthouse

Etuhu has been asked to go forward more and has done it a few times. But the reason he has done poorly is simply because he is poor and poor old Murphy ends up trying to find space because Etuhu gives him the ball when he is right on top of him. Then Etuhu passes to defenders under pressure. So Etuhu cannot pass and sits too close to Murphy.

Murphy has a season or two left in him. We need a player who can do the donkey work. I have yet to hear of a good replacement. Dika looked the sort of player we needed until injury and he still badly needs experience.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

RidgeRider

Quote from: BalDrick on December 22, 2010, 05:39:35 PM
Quote from: WhiteJC on December 22, 2010, 05:25:37 PM

Nor me really. Wife and kids have gone to her dad's for a day and a bit - I'm usually flat out working at this time of year hence being able to bail out of the visit but I've had no work all week. Finished a book (All the Pretty Horses since you ask - really good), played Solitaire, done other Internet things and am now bored.

'All the Pretty Horses' is a dark but great book. Try his other stuff as well.

RidgeRider

I am with the "Etuhu is being asked to do something he is not used to doing" crowd. Hughes has him playing in a position he is just not good at, so in a different system Etuhu is a useful player so having said that then replacing him, given our current managers style (or lack of one)  would be first priority between those two.

BalDrick

''All the Pretty Horses' is a dark but great book. Try his other stuff as well.'

It's the 4th of his I've read, they keep getting better. Started with Blood Meridian, which tbh I found hard work. No Country and The Road were both good, and now this - going to be getting the rest of the border trilogy once Xmas is out of the way.