watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

View from Huddersfield

Started by terryr, August 11, 2021, 04:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terryr

Not much yet but figured I'd post anyway to ease into doing these again this year
Updated below

''Well, despite there being a lot of doubt as to exactly who will be in the starting line up, it's not stopping a great occasion approaching on Saturday, in what will be Town's first competitive home game in nearly 18 months with fans there to cheer them on (last time was v Charlton on 29th February 2020).
A lot has happened in the meantime: in terms of players, we don't look anything like how we did 18 months ago – possibly just one from the game v Charlton will make the squad for the Fulham game (Campbell), and The Cottagers too have felt the wind of change, gaining promotion and spending a season with the big boys, before being bundled unceremoniously out of the PL a couple of months ago.

They have, however – on paper at least - surely assembled one of the most expensive squads in Championship history. Transfermarkt has them down as being worth around 160 m quid, which is about 5 times Town's supposed value. Incredible that we're in the same league, really. But many a club in the Championship would probably say the same thing.
Town's record v the Londoners at home doesn't make for good reading, either. Just 1 win in 6 attempts since the turn of the millennium. So, on the face of it, not much to look forward to in terms of celebrating an unexpected victory. Another thing Town fans won't have to look forward to is seeing the return of Terence Kongolo, who is out injured with a knee problem. But one name on Fulham's teamsheet will surely bring about a warm grin of approval from the older Town fans........yes, you guessed it, Harold Wilson.

His much-revered namesake from Huddersfield is, of course, none other than a former Prime Minister, so hopefully Town fans will refrain from any derogatory songs about Fulham's Harold Wilson should he on occasion ungracefully balloon the ball over the bar. It just wouldn't be befitting of a great name in Huddersfield's history.

All joking aside, I'm really looking forward to this one: it will be great to see a crowd at the JSS again after so, so long; it's rich v poor, it's North v South, and on a manager level it's very much a battle of the Iberian Peninsula, with the (portu) geezer, Marco Silva, pitting his wits against CC (if he's on the touchline again) – and last but not least, Fulham are a popular choice for this season's title, so perhaps an early pointer as to how we can fare against the top sides in this division.
UTT''

''Must win game.''

'' How are we coping with covid infections? Is there a danger that this one will be called off?''

''Haven't the foggiest. How many did Harrogate have out for their game v Rochdale in the League Cup to be called off (awarded to Rochdale)?''

''Lets go with a draw for this one 1-1 again.''

'' We never play well against Fulham.
So to play devil's advocate 3-1 Town.
Rhodes x2 Ward''

''Would be delighted with a draw in this one even if we had a full squad to choose from. Which we don't.''

''we can win. we're at home.''

''We can also lose. We're at home (it happens a bit too often).''

''In front of our fans - got to make a difference!''

''First game back in the church every fan singing loud and proud and that will make the players up for it and I know fulham are our bogey team but 2-1 town rhodes and koroma''

''Are LOB, Toff, Ruffels, Nicholls out of self isolation in time for Sat?''

''Shush, don't tell Fulham!''

'' Fulham have got the best collection of players in the league but we can still take 3 points off them. We'll need to defend well, cut out the silly mistakes and hit them with pace on the break - a lot will depend on Koroma and Thomas.

The atmosphere should be bouncing, will put some extra miles in the legs and snap in the tackles. Going to be one hell of an emotional occasion after being away for so long.''

I'll post more as and when there's enough on their board to update
Updated below

''Town all over them first 20 minutes then the game plan will unravel like a shitty nappy..hope imm wrong..''

''What I don't get is why we are testing players twice a week whereas other teams are only testing players with symtoms, surely we all do the same. For example if a Fulham player has Covid but does not show symtoms he could play on Saturday and pass it on. When our players are tested next week we could have more cases of Covid whereas their players can continue playing and pass it on to other people if they don't have symtoms.''

''I definitely fall on the happy clapper side of the spectrum but its hard to see us getting many points this month.

Playing Fulham potentially still without O Brien, Toff, Pipa, Bacuna and Mbenza probably 5 of our 6 most creative players last year as well as back up options like Rowe and Aarons. It doesn't bode well.

Hopefully Koroma, Thomas and Sinani (if he gets more than 2 minutes) will click but hard to see anything other than a loss. Hopefully the defensive reinforcement will prevent it being an absolute massacre.''

''Good a time as any to play Fulham, new manager still settling in, and getting used to being back into the Championship. I think if we go at them and don't let them settle into a rhythm, we could get something out of this. We'll be a threat from set pieces, so I'd want to us to better them in terms of effort and endeavor, and try to grab a goal from a set piece at some point.
I'd predict a 1-1, and I think that'd be a good result..''

''Going to be a tough game given the players we may have out with covid, think I'd go 4231 and try take it too them.

Schofield

Turton
Pearson
Sarr
Colwill

Hogg
High

Thomas
Sinani
Koroma

Rhodes

''Rhodes has to start for me. We finally have wingers who look very productive in the final areas - get Rhodes in those positions and he is far more likely to score than Ward''

"Trouble is we are far more likely to get the ball to the wingers with Ward playing as he links play better"

''While I do agree we probably won't have much of the ball so I reckon he will go with Campbell as he's the best one at defending from the front''

''snap your arm off now for a point....!! (and no injuries) tough game this one.....''

''Ludicrous we're going into games like this with Schofield in goal. Absolutely no confidence in him dealing competently with pass backs, corners/crosses, balls over the top - we're starting games with a problem of our own making - it's barmy.''

"There I am looking forward to the game and then I read this and realise I hadn't contemplated that he might start the game!"

"Nicholls definitely unavailable according to ExaminerLive so he's definitely starting"

"Hope they are using extra strong paint for the goal line then."

''Unfortunately, there's no other choice for tomorrow.
If Nicholls was available, he'd be starting.
Difficult one for CC though, as it's very clear Nicholls has been brought in as number one. If Schofield did leave on loan, how many keepers would happily join us to sit on the bench? Not many. What's the likelihood of a keeper coming in as number one, and Nicholls sitting on the bench? Highly unlikely.''

''CC confirmed that Nicholls, Ruffels, Toffolo and O'Brien will all be out.
They will also need three days of training before being considered*, so looking unlikely that any will be back for Preston either.

www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/carlos-corberan-provides-update-on-covid-affected-huddersfield-town-players-and-whether-he-can-return-to-dug-out-3344268

*NB I might have misread that last bit.''

''They've got a ridiculous squad and number of attacking options
But they've a new manager, a number missed pre season and still adapting as a lot of relegated teams do even if they've plenty players at this level - struggled with physical battle last week
So play on front foot and get in their faces - they're there for the taking''

''Re Carlos - "On whether he will be back on the touchline on Saturday, he said: "Saturday will be day 10 for me. Tomorrow (Thursday), I will be with the medical staff and they will decide if I can be there or not."
Surely if Saturday is day 10 he can't attend the game or am I missing the point?
I also see we may have already managed to injure Sinani? Presumably from cramp warming up so long last weekend before his 2 minute appearance!''

''I think he may get round the day 10 thing as they have club medical staff/doctors who will be able to clarify whether or not he is safe or not to be around others.presumably that's what it meant anyway.
Most people don't have that option so just get told ten days.
Just to add on sinani I don't think he would have come on at all had it not been for Holmes getting the yellow card.''

''My only hope for this game is that Fulham haven't won a game since early March. Winning and losing is habit''

''Not when you're used to being a top level yo yo club. They know how to win in this league.''

''We haven't exactly had a winning habit for the last 4 seasons and haven't won since April.''

''Yep.. a bit hard to judge the first game as boro I think are dark horses for promotion, but they were hanging on at the end for a point..''

''From what I saw of Fulham the other night, a big diagonal ball into the corner is their undoing.''

''I was predicting a draw until it was announced that Schofield is in goal again. The PL forwards will expose him badly, not looking forward to this one now.''

'' I think we're all including me getting a little bit pretentious. With everything that's gone on let's celebrate that we have a football club & whichever players cross that line tomorrow their going to give their all for Huddersfield Town.
Carlos, his staff & new players deserve a proper welcome.
Let's turn up in numbers pump up the volume & show them what this club is all about.
We all deserve to enjoy ourselves & in the respect that all Town fans know how.
Let's beat the Cockney bastards''

''Reading this thread, no wonder Schofield is lacking in confidence...''

''time for him to grow a pair of bollocks put in a good shift and prove all of us wrong..''

''Despite the threat that Fulham pose I am so looking forward to the game tomorrow.  My eight year old has a season ticket for the first time and is buzzing to use her autograph book that came through the post.  I am really pleased to see the changes the club are making to enhance a match day experience with the legends bar, food festival vans, free programmes and the return of the clackers!
After last season being so blighted by injury and exposing the lack of cover at full back, it is typical Town that of the 5 in the squad that have been hit by Covid it includes both left backs, you just cannot make it up!
Anyway, we look to be a genuine threat now from set pieces with Sorba's delivery.  I am hoping we can get an early goal from one as I feel the crowd will sound like a full house and make it a proper game.  Can't wait to be back!  UTT''

That's it for this week

terryr

Somerset Fulham

Cheers Terry, this is always a great read.

Simply91

Twig

"Let's celebrate that we have a football club", I genuinely love that comment. Grounded and humble.