more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What a difference

Started by Pluto, August 14, 2021, 05:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh Gentry

Quote from: Plodder on August 14, 2021, 06:35:47 PM
Pity some people can't delight in a tremendous day for us without a dose of Parker bashing.
They are....that is the point that is being made....it is a delight rather than a trauma!!

Blawarmy

Quote from: Black, White and Fred on August 14, 2021, 05:31:36 PM
This tweet sums up the difference in approach completely:

@JamieVaide
·
3-1 up with fifteen minutes to go and we have a man sent off. Great - we're going to put on defenders and try and park the bus.

What's that? Put on three attacking players and score two more goals?

What a breath of fresh air

colinwhite

Silva has got the team playing superbly. Forget Parker he is gone. A good move it seems by the club.

Finnans Right Peg

One of the big differences for me is the amount of bodies we get in the box when we are attacking

Andy S

We are not knocking parker we are enjoying the change in style that his departure has brought. Again I'm not knocking the guy but did he ever know his best team? Meanwhile Marco Silva seems to have struck gold. A few days can be a long time in football and we have the ball rolling so let's keep it going

Twig

Quote from: Deeping_white on August 14, 2021, 06:18:45 PM
?s=21

Silva has managed something in 2 games that even the supreme Tigana team couldn't do so I think that's the contrast in style showing up fairly quickly

Absolutely loved to watch Peschi, he was all action.

colinwhite

The players certainly look to be enjoying their football. Moving the ball quickly and looking to get forward at pace at every opportunity. Well done Marco Silva and well done the club for appointing him. As for Parker ,who`s he ?

Oakeshott

It is very early and we might yet come down to earth with a bang at Millwall. But IF things continue in the current vein it is going to be like our promotion year under Tigana.

JoelH5

Quote from: Andy S on August 14, 2021, 05:37:26 PM
A confidence booster for the fans as well and far better than a 2-0. It's made my weekend.

Same here. First time I've been in a great mood after and due to a Fulham game in a long time
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Lewes White

Did we not win 1 - 4 against Huddersfield  under Joka...

Woolly Mammoth

I know it is only 2 matches but It is the kind of start to a season that is invaluable for confidence, morale and team spirit. Just what any manager would wish for, as it is something to build on.
Nevertheless beware the Ides of March. 44 matches to go plus a long Cup run.
Millwall on Tuesday and a different kind of challenge. There is always a bogey man round the corner waiting to take our wheels off. That is why feet firmly on the ground is imperative which will stand us in good stead.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bill taylors apprentice

I know just watching the highlights of games alone can be deceiving but having watched all the championship highlights so far I see lots of energy and commitment which you would expect but lacking real quality.

Maybe its just me taking time to adjust watching the EFL after only watching the PL last season but IMO once teams initial opening efforts have subsided in the early games this league is ripe for dominating if a team gets it right.

That is, if we are consistant with the right tactics, teamwork and the sort of quality we have over the course of the season.

Could yesterdays game be the equivalent of our 2nd game of the 2000/01 season under Tigana, 3-1 away to Brum when we blew them away and the overall performance felt more like a 5-1.
This set the standard for the rest of the season.

brightster

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on August 15, 2021, 09:02:27 AM
I know just watching the highlights of games alone can be deceiving but having watched all the championship highlights so far I see lots of energy and commitment which you would expect but lacking real quality.

Maybe its just me taking time to adjust watching the EFL after only watching the PL last season but IMO once teams initial opening efforts have subsided in the early games this league is ripe for dominating if a team gets it right.

That is, if we are consistant with the right tactics, teamwork and the sort of quality we have over the course of the season.

Could yesterdays game be the equivalent of our 2nd game of the 2000/01 season under Tigana, 3-1 away to Brum when we blew them away and the overall performance felt more like a 5-1.
This set the standard for the rest of the season.

I was think of the Forrest away under Tigana in October that season, only 3 - 0 but could have been about 8, with Saha and Boa.

Beamer

I know they weren't very good but what a pleasure to see Mitro back to something approaching his powerful best. Fully involved, fully committed and playing with a scowl (of concentration and determination) and a smile when he or any of the others scored.
We probably won't know the reasons behind last years problems but whatever MS is doing with him let's hope it continues all season.

Plodder

Quote from: Pluto on August 14, 2021, 08:50:17 PM
Quote from: Plodder on August 14, 2021, 06:58:38 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on August 14, 2021, 06:46:00 PM
Pity some people can't delight in a tremendous day for us without a dose of Parker bashing.

Although it has to be said this is the same side that Parker had bar the keeper and player who was sent off. It would be fair comment to say that we would have behaved under Parker very differently with ten men.

I disagree, but I am not going to argue about it, because then I would be perpetuating the very thing which I think is pointless. The Parker bashing is done to validate judgements already reached.  Parker has gone.  People are entitled to ignore me and keep posting what they like about him, but I am entitled to request the tiresome and pointless Parker bashing to stop.

It has one silver lining. A reminder that it is time for me to take a break from this forum for a while and do something more constructive with my precious free time. No doubt I shall be lured back eventually.

Are you his mate or something? For some reason you seem to take any mention of Parker on here incredibly personally? Obviously people are going to compare the tactics and approach of the new manager to the one we had a couple of months ago, now we are able to see Silva's approach for the first time. We were not successful under Parker, whereas today we won 5-1, so naturally those comments are not going to be favourable towards Parker.

You're welcome to navigate to a different thread and just not comment, but don't pretend like it's not a perfectly valid discussion.

Well, that has irked me sufficiently to make a final comment. I am not "Parker's mate"; that is like claiming you dislike him because he has shagged your wife.  It is not a "discussion", it is you shoehorning your opinion of Parker into almost every comment you make.

(Note to self: I am being dragged into a pointless internet shouting match. Time to leave this board for a while to its own internal wrangling, and just enjoy (fingers crossed) more results like yesterday's).

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Pluto on August 14, 2021, 08:50:17 PM
Quote from: Plodder on August 14, 2021, 06:58:38 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on August 14, 2021, 06:46:00 PM

Although it has to be said this is the same side that Parker had bar the keeper and player who was sent off. It would be fair comment to say that we would have behaved under Parker very differently with ten men.

I disagree, but I am not going to argue about it, because then I would be perpetuating the very thing which I think is pointless. The Parker bashing is done to validate judgements already reached.  Parker has gone.  People are entitled to ignore me and keep posting what they like about him, but I am entitled to request the tiresome and pointless Parker bashing to stop.

It has one silver lining. A reminder that it is time for me to take a break from this forum for a while and do something more constructive with my precious free time. No doubt I shall be lured back eventually.

Are you his mate or something? For some reason you seem to take any mention of Parker on here incredibly personally? Obviously people are going to compare the tactics and approach of the new manager to the one we had a couple of months ago, now we are able to see Silva's approach for the first time. We were not successful under Parker, whereas today we won 5-1, so naturally those comments are not going to be favourable towards Parker.

You're welcome to navigate to a different thread and just not comment, but don't pretend like it's not a perfectly valid discussion.

Scott Parker took over a team with a defensive mess that had lost all its attackers (except two Cairney and Mitro) with a midfield that were either sent on loan or rested for a year.

It is great Parker has moved on, but Scott Parker built a solid technical team with zero creativity and Silva added the final piece. Parker was incapable of adding that piece, but even Parker could achieve automatic promotion with this team just using Parkerball.

Let's not forget Parker stabilised a "relegated club with a bad balance sheet" into a yo-yo club and he probably couldn't do any better, but I would have killed to be a yo-yo club when he took over.

itombomb

Guess who said this yesterday

"You get a man sent off after 60 minutes and you have to show another side. It's now about guts and defending your goal and I thought my team did that immensely today."

ALG01

I think the difference between parker and silva is mind set. when we went down to 10 men parker would have shut up shop and silva took a risk on ius having better plaers and went to score more goals. I think most of us prefer the silva outlook. It was a breath of freshh air, I supported parker but hated the 'shut up shop' mentality.
However
when huddersfield launched balls into our box we were shambolic failing to win the majority of balls in the air. they missed way to many headed chances. a better team would have made us pay. I like attacking play but we do need to be better at the back if we are to suceed.