watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tim Ream and our Defense

Started by ChesterTheTabby, August 14, 2021, 07:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterTheTabby

Looks to be a solid wall with an experienced Head leading the back line. Quicker sides will cause trouble to Tosin and Ream, but the pace of Tete, Robinson, Bryan, and our CMs seem have that covered - plus I'll take proper footballing brains and positioning over raw speed (a la AK).
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

JimmyConway

There was enough worrying times today with both Ream & Tosin continuously out jumped in the air.
That's two teams we've played who did not offer a lot up front but both teams caused our centre backs issues in the air.
Bit of a worry if you ask me.

Lighthouse

Any set plays against us seems to cause us trouble. Every corner, every free kick. We were lucky that they spotted the offside for their first goal. We mustn't forget that better teams will punish us at the beck just by lobbing high balls against us. But hard to be too critical after today.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Logicalman

Quote from: ChesterTheTabby on August 14, 2021, 07:43:10 PM
Looks to be a solid wall with an experienced Head leading the back line. Quicker sides will cause trouble to Tosin and Ream, but the pace of Tete, Robinson, Bryan, and our CMs seem have that covered - plus I'll take proper footballing brains and positioning over raw speed (a la AK).

Quote from: JimmyConway on August 14, 2021, 09:15:32 PM
There was enough worrying times today with both Ream & Tosin continuously out jumped in the air.
That's two teams we've played who did not offer a lot up front but both teams caused our centre backs issues in the air.

I can agree with both of these, though, as JC points out, there were a couple of worrying times, and that is where Tete & Robinson's speed comes into play as they are wingbacks that, today, were caught out upfield when we needed them in support of Ream and Tosin.
A fine line has to be drawn here because if what happened today when we play the likes of QPR, Swansea, et al, we will be goals down in no time.
Perhaps the guvnor has the tactics covered for those fixtures, I do hope so, and I hope both our wingbacks listen very carefully, he may say it only once!

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Andy S

The good thing is the best goal scorers are taken by premier league clubs. So we won't have to face them

filham

Anguissa firmly anchored in the defensive midfield role will be a great help to our back four, that is of course if he is to remain with us.

roberto w6

Agree with both the comments on the strong performances as well as the worrying moments.
I think they'll get better the more they play together as a partnership (Ream and Tosin). Also, Harrison Reed's return will give them an extra shield that should make us more stable

Andy S

Ream has always taken a lot of flack on here. Unjustly in my opinion. We are a better team when he plays and his distribution is as good as anyone. He will certainly do us for this season

Statto

I've been one of Ream's biggest critics but i agree, based on the last two games i do get the sense he has another good Championship season in him, quite possibly as captain too

As for set pieces, Tosin is massive so he and the GK need to be a lot more aggressive and dominant in the air than they have been so far

JimOG

Quote from: Statto on August 15, 2021, 11:20:51 AM
I've been one of Ream's biggest critics but i agree, based on the last two games i do get the sense he has another good Championship season in him, quite possibly as captain too

As for set pieces, Tosin is massive so he and the GK need to be a lot more aggressive and dominant in the air than they have been so far

I don't think it helps having a 'line' keeper like Gazza instead of a Mark Shwartzer type. I was pleased that a giant Boro side got no joy from the aerial approach but Huddersfield's goal from the corner rings alarm bells...That said we did score 5  :wine:

Simply91

Need to brush that up when we play Millwall. Matt smith, Cooper, Hutchinson, all units and can head the ball well!

JimOG

Quote from: Simply91 on August 15, 2021, 12:21:07 PM

Need to brush that up when we play Millwall. Matt smith, Cooper, Hutchinson, all units and can head the ball well!

Ream was very good v Boro on corners, Tosin needs to impose himself more but I looked at the highlights and it was Antonee Robinson who was 'marking' their big man at that corner. Now Robinson has many attributes but his coach needs to teach him how to head te ball (if that's allowed these days)

ALG01

personally I think and hope others do to that the new more attacking, risk taking style is better
BUT
playing better opposition we may get found out. we did not seem capable of defending set pieces or deal with a high ball crossed into the box. we won 5 1 and that was brilliant but on another day their disallowed goal would have stood and we mave had more of a match on our hands as a result.
ream ad tosin are good as individuals but last season aina took responsibility so often when the ball was lumped in. we do niot seem to have anyone like that at the moment. we need to think about this or we could start to let in needless goals and lose points as a result.

WindyCity

Not so sure about defense being a solid wall.  Before season started, I felt our defense would be the strong part of our overall game with the question being where goals are gonna come from.  That said, the defense does seem a bit shaky so far, and I know it's only two games.  Would like to see that tightened up.  And the offense does remain to be seen, one five goal game needs to be followed up by more games with goals in them.  Anyway, nice to be at table top but still need to see a handful more games to judge where the club stands.

Jim©

Quote from: filham on August 15, 2021, 09:38:18 AM
Anguissa firmly anchored in the defensive midfield role will be a great help to our back four, that is of course if he is to remain with us.

I actually see Reed in that role rather than Big Frank. He makes a hell of a difference, sniffing out trouble.

Dodgin

Gazzaniga hasn't had that much to do, says someting about the defence

ALG01

Quote from: Dodgin on August 15, 2021, 05:30:29 PM

to be honest he and the central defence have totally not dealt with crosses into the biox... remains to be seen if this is an issue, i suspevct it is.

JimmyConway

It is looking more likely an issue in all honesty. Ream has never been dominant type and has never one a lot of headers whereas Tosin with his height & build should win more than he does it was quite evident last season.
I said yesterday the only dominant centre back we have is Hector. I can't comment on Kongolo for the obvious reasons.
Ream apart from Kongolo are the natural left footers so for the balance either one is likely to play.
That leaves us with Hector Mawson Tosin all vying for the one other position. We saw last season how uncomfortable Tosin was on left and if I remember rightly Mawson struggled over on left side for brief spell.
The two current centre backs might not possibly be the best two centre backs?

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: roberto w6 on August 15, 2021, 09:46:21 AM
Agree with both the comments on the strong performances as well as the worrying moments.
I think they'll get better the more they play together as a partnership (Ream and Tosin). Also, Harrison Reed's return will give them an extra shield that should make us more stable

Until he inevitably goes down to injury again.

Fulham need to find the next Kalvin Phillips, and as much as I like Zambo as a footballer...he's not it.  Neither are Seri or Reed or Francois.  If Harrison could stay healthy I'd feel much better about relying on him as our CDM in the Championship.  (No Leeds, Watford, Norwich or Brentford) I don't think he can.    I hope I'm wrong.

WindyCity

Quote from: Dodgin on August 15, 2021, 05:30:29 PM

Well, the keeper is part of the defense.  And to be honest, only a few shots on target so far and two goals allowed, and another goal which was disallowed, never did learn why it didn't count (v Hudd).   
Not overly impressive to start.  I know, just two games in, but maybe Rodak should be getting ready for an appearance?