more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mohamed Al-Fayed

Started by 70sPimlico, August 15, 2021, 08:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twig

Quote from: General on August 15, 2021, 11:36:21 PM
The term legend is used far to easily these days when referring to players who've come and go. Al Fayed was a legend though. He ran this club astutely and really really cared about it. He got the right people in behind the scenes and always made informed footballing decisions. I remember when Roy signed and not having a clue about who he was, plucked out of thin air.. and then he went on to achieve the success he did with us. It was a fitting tribute and end to his tenure and he transformed this club.

I know we're under new ownership but there would be nothing more fitting in my eyes than to have a statue or stand named after the man for all he gave us and what it meant in the grand scheme of things. Whilst I'm not the biggest fans of the khan's and think they leave a lot to be desired, they do still seem like ok people and I do feel they are stable owner's.

Will always have my utmost respect for the dignity he gave the club and the early years in particular.

Not quite the Man Utd of the south, but europa league finals, keegan, hodgson, berbativ, duff, Murphy, Haynes, saha, horse field, hangeland etc etc all would simply not have happened (or the 13 consecutive seasons in the premiership) without him.

Hope the club, if this does seem to be that time of his life, put on a fitting tribute to the man and his tenure to the club. Will be sure to be at that game when it happens.

General, I think you are getting a bit carried away when you attribute Haynes to MAF! Lol

Twig

Quote from: Dr Know on August 16, 2021, 08:52:55 AM
Sorry to put a dampener on things but it's a well known fact he approached Chelsea before us ! I never liked the bloke before he came to us so , not being a hypocrite, he is not a legend in my books . But saying that I don't wish bad health on him .

I don't know about the Chelsea rumour and neither does anyone else I suspect, but I'm not sure it's very relevant.  I also appreciate that he may have made his fortune through arms trading, was accused of bullying by more than one member of his Harrods staff, made a fairly derisory attempt to buy British citizenship etc. So I can understand that many people weren't too keen on MAF as an individual. However I think you have to set all that background stuff aside; for what he did for Fulham FC he is and always will be, a club legend.

Lighthouse

Sorry to put a dampener on things but it's a well known fact he approached Chelsea before us ! I never liked the bloke before he came to us so , not being a hypocrite, he is not a legend in my books . But saying that I don't wish bad health on him .

Not a dampener. But we must remember he had a choice to put his money in any profit making business. In the end what he did for Fulham was over and above anything we have ever seen before in our long history. The fact that he looked around and wanted a safer investment before hand doesn't take away what he did. His spokesman, Michael Cole (?) was already a long known Fulham supporter. I can't say I was a fan before either but again what he did for us was over and above.

Would I want to be a business rival? No.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Peabody

Quote from: Cambridge Pete on August 16, 2021, 09:21:13 AM
Sorry to hear that Mo is unwell. Whatever his reasons for acquiring the club it is my opinion that he fell for the club on the night we played a pre season game soon after the death of Dodi and realised that not everyone in the UK disliked him. He provided some wonderful times for supporters and for what he did I will always thank him. As an aside I wrote to him a couple of times and on each occasion got a very good letter back. I know a number on this Board have problems with TK but, again my opinion, I think Mo left us with excellent owners. Get well soon Mo and hopefully we can see you once more at The Cottage.

Think you will find that game was a league game against Plymouth, which we won 2-0, I think Paul Moody scored both.

Peabody

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 16, 2021, 10:35:13 AM

Not a dampener. But we must remember he had a choice to put his money in any profit making business. In the end what he did for Fulham was over and above anything we have ever seen before in our long history. The fact that he looked around and wanted a safer investment before hand doesn't take away what he did. His spokesman, Michael Cole (?) was already a long known Fulham supporter. I can't say I was a fan before either but again what he did for us was over and above.

Would I want to be a business rival? No.

And not forgetting the rumour about the Chelsea Russian bloke was, allegedly, flying in a helicopter along the Thames, saw our ground and liked it but brought Stamford Bridge instead.

bog

Sorry to hear Mo is unwell. Will never forget seeing on on Ceefax: 'Al Fayed takes over Fulham. More to follow....'  There certainly was. Another was when we were playing Wolfsberg at the Cottage in the Europa  League and he was walking around the pitch before the start. The Wolfsberg fans began jeering at him so he walked back and gave them all a double V sign. Mo is in my top 5 of those who did so much for the club we all love. Good luck Mo.   

092.gif 

Fernhurst

Quote from: bog on August 16, 2021, 11:27:43 AM
Sorry to hear Mo is unwell. Will never forget seeing on on Ceefax: 'Al Fayed takes over Fulham. More to follow....'  There certainly was. Another was when we were playing Wolfsberg at the Cottage in the Europa  League and he was walking around the pitch before the start. The Wolfsberg fans began jeering at him so he walked back and gave them all a double V sign. Mo is in my top 5 of those who did so much for the club we all love. Good luck Mo.   

092.gif 

Plus 1
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

fulhamfan

Al Fayed is a Fulham legend that's a fact.
There should be a statue of him or a stand named after him

SG

Quote from: bog on August 16, 2021, 11:27:43 AM

092.gif 

Can remember exactly where I was when I saw the headline on the back of the Standard. Had to go over to this chap by the bar and asked if he would mind if I read the back page of his newspaper. Perhaps not the most wholesome of individuals at certain times but what he did for our club makes him a club legend in my book.

fcfulham55

If I could donate some of my years to him. I probably would.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

ALG01

He changed our fortunes completely. we are only where we are today becuase of him. Anything else does not count.

What is more, with him in charge it was always fun and preffesional. I trusted him 100% to do the best he could for us.

Roy's stories re team talks in the great escape year are tremendous. His interaction with the players fantastic and I loved his walks actross the pitch on so many match days.

it was clear in the last year or two his health was not what it was and selling was not a major suprise.

I wish him very well.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I remember being at the Cottage when he first strolled across the pitch and the fantastic reception he was given.
Crystal Palace, I think  (aging memory)
That certainly helped him fall in love with us, No doubt he'd never experienced anything like that, but the great
reactions kept coming.
Then there was Mo strolling across the pitch with Michael Jackson, say no more.

Whatever, a great legend for Fulham and still is, the old boy is still alive and kicking.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Kimbleman

Chairman Mo just how can he not be a club legend?

A man who invested no small amount of money in propelling Fulham into the big time.

No previous owner (Chairman) has ever affected the club so profoundly and with such speed as he did. Taking us to a place which only once seemed an impossible dream.

Bloke was doubtless a scallywag but in my book a top top bloke 👍👍.

bobbo

Get well soon MO . A real hero for FFC .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

MikeTheCubed

Suspect if Chairman Mo was 10 years younger we'd currently be beginning our 21st consecutive top-flight season.

filham

I have been regularly been watching Fulham for over 70 years. The best times were the Haynes era and then the MAF years.
We owe him so much.

LittleErn

Quote from: filham on August 17, 2021, 02:51:57 PM
I have been regularly been watching Fulham for over 70 years. The best times were the Haynes era and then the MAF years.
We owe him so much.

Spot on Filham.

grandad

We should all owe a huge debt to Al Fayed for rescuing our Club & propelling it to the lofty heights of the PL & that Europa Cup Final. However I was saddened when he lost interest & failed to invest into an ageing squad right at the time a rebuild was necessary. What he did was thankfully before FFP as even he would not have been able to attract the players he did with the restrictions the Khans now face.

Al Fayed got all his investment back so we now move on into a new era & dynasty.

I hope he does recover & I wish him well.
Where there's a will there's a wife