more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Test Match Sledging and Unacceptable Behaviour

Started by Plodder, August 17, 2021, 01:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwian

Quote from: grandad on August 17, 2021, 05:30:49 PM
The master sledgers are the Aussies, but it is all done with subtely.
Well, I never thought I would see Aussies and subtlety in the same sentence!
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Plodder on August 17, 2021, 01:19:04 AM
Emerging momentarily from a self-imposed temporary exile from FoF to comment on cricket, not on Fulham.

To pre-empt accusations of sour grapes, let me state clearly that India totally outplayed England today and superbly turned a game round in under a day. India were just the much better team - simple as that.

However, the whole match was tarnished for me by unacceptable behaviour from some players on both sides, and I wish the authorities had the courage to summon several to the match referee.  Nobody but those involved knows exactly who said what to whom throughout the game, but Anderson for one has too much "form" to protest innocence convincingly, and it seems likely that Robinson had too much to say for himself while bowling. With his history, I think he would be well advised to wind his neck in, say nothing and concentrate on taking wickets.

However, one player in particular deserves censure - Kohli. Before the England innings started today, he accosted the umpires and was jabbing his finger at them aggressively.  That alone is unacceptable from any player, above all a captain. And his actions, supported by Siraj when Robinson came in also deserve a severe reprimand, whatever provocation Robinson may have dished out earlier in the game. The umpires intervened, but not firmly or quickly enough.  That silly "shushing" business from Siraj should stop too. I know his father tragically passed away last winter, but some of the commentators seemed to be using that as some sort of mitigation for his behaviour.  Rahane, Pujara and Rohit Sharma all looked embarrassed about what was going on.

If it were my decision, I would ban Anderson and Kohli for at least one Test just to show a determination to deal with this kind of behaviour, and to illustrate it won't be tolerated from either of these teams or anyone else. It won't happen, of course. Ever since Steve Waugh uttered that fatuous statement about sledging to cause "mental disintegration", sledging has morphed from the odd jocular comment (with occasional flashes of real bad temper) into periods of sustained abuse in almost every match, and this has been copied and become embedded in amateur and (even more worryingly) in youth cricket.

Yes, I know I am a curmudgeonly old so-and-so, but I find it sad to see this happening, and today was a particularly bad example.  On the positive side, compliments to Bumrah and Shami for that defiant stand, and to all the Indian bowlers, on a terrific effort.

You will be pleased to know that it has all gone quiet over there. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.