watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Test Match Sledging and Unacceptable Behaviour

Started by Plodder, August 17, 2021, 01:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plodder

Emerging momentarily from a self-imposed temporary exile from FoF to comment on cricket, not on Fulham.

To pre-empt accusations of sour grapes, let me state clearly that India totally outplayed England today and superbly turned a game round in under a day. India were just the much better team - simple as that.

However, the whole match was tarnished for me by unacceptable behaviour from some players on both sides, and I wish the authorities had the courage to summon several to the match referee.  Nobody but those involved knows exactly who said what to whom throughout the game, but Anderson for one has too much "form" to protest innocence convincingly, and it seems likely that Robinson had too much to say for himself while bowling. With his history, I think he would be well advised to wind his neck in, say nothing and concentrate on taking wickets.

However, one player in particular deserves censure - Kohli. Before the England innings started today, he accosted the umpires and was jabbing his finger at them aggressively.  That alone is unacceptable from any player, above all a captain. And his actions, supported by Siraj when Robinson came in also deserve a severe reprimand, whatever provocation Robinson may have dished out earlier in the game. The umpires intervened, but not firmly or quickly enough.  That silly "shushing" business from Siraj should stop too. I know his father tragically passed away last winter, but some of the commentators seemed to be using that as some sort of mitigation for his behaviour.  Rahane, Pujara and Rohit Sharma all looked embarrassed about what was going on.

If it were my decision, I would ban Anderson and Kohli for at least one Test just to show a determination to deal with this kind of behaviour, and to illustrate it won't be tolerated from either of these teams or anyone else. It won't happen, of course. Ever since Steve Waugh uttered that fatuous statement about sledging to cause "mental disintegration", sledging has morphed from the odd jocular comment (with occasional flashes of real bad temper) into periods of sustained abuse in almost every match, and this has been copied and become embedded in amateur and (even more worryingly) in youth cricket.

Yes, I know I am a curmudgeonly old so-and-so, but I find it sad to see this happening, and today was a particularly bad example.  On the positive side, compliments to Bumrah and Shami for that defiant stand, and to all the Indian bowlers, on a terrific effort.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

I don't understand. Why are there sledges in cricket? How can they play in snow? Isn't it dangerous to sledge around a group of people? What happens if you go into someone?

I dont understand any of what you've just said.

Snibbo

"It's part of the game" is the usual response. Well no, batting,  bowling,  fielding is the game. It totally put me off watching cricket here in Australia and especially when I saw school kids mimicking it

junior white

Quote from: Plodder on August 17, 2021, 01:19:04 AM
Emerging momentarily from a self-imposed temporary exile from FoF to comment on cricket, not on Fulham.

To pre-empt accusations of sour grapes, let me state clearly that India totally outplayed England today and superbly turned a game round in under a day. India were just the much better team - simple as that.

However, the whole match was tarnished for me by unacceptable behaviour from some players on both sides, and I wish the authorities had the courage to summon several to the match referee.  Nobody but those involved knows exactly who said what to whom throughout the game, but Anderson for one has too much "form" to protest innocence convincingly, and it seems likely that Robinson had too much to say for himself while bowling. With his history, I think he would be well advised to wind his neck in, say nothing and concentrate on taking wickets.

However, one player in particular deserves censure - Kohli. Before the England innings started today, he accosted the umpires and was jabbing his finger at them aggressively.  That alone is unacceptable from any player, above all a captain. And his actions, supported by Siraj when Robinson came in also deserve a severe reprimand, whatever provocation Robinson may have dished out earlier in the game. The umpires intervened, but not firmly or quickly enough.  That silly "shushing" business from Siraj should stop too. I know his father tragically passed away last winter, but some of the commentators seemed to be using that as some sort of mitigation for his behaviour.  Rahane, Pujara and Rohit Sharma all looked embarrassed about what was going on.

If it were my decision, I would ban Anderson and Kohli for at least one Test just to show a determination to deal with this kind of behaviour, and to illustrate it won't be tolerated from either of these teams or anyone else. It won't happen, of course. Ever since Steve Waugh uttered that fatuous statement about sledging to cause "mental disintegration", sledging has morphed from the odd jocular comment (with occasional flashes of real bad temper) into periods of sustained abuse in almost every match, and this has been copied and become embedded in amateur and (even more worryingly) in youth cricket.

Yes, I know I am a curmudgeonly old so-and-so, but I find it sad to see this happening, and today was a particularly bad example.  On the positive side, compliments to Bumrah and Shami for that defiant stand, and to all the Indian bowlers, on a terrific effort.
I very much agree with this, although you neglect to mention the awful comments by Bumrah on the 3rd evening and of course by Siraj yesterday

Re the actual play we were outplayed and our tactics yesterday morning in the first session were awful, the field placing and bowling were all of a team that had lost or were scared to do something to win in my opinion

unionist_ffc

Bumrah bowled a 10 ball over, deliberate no balls, to prolong his over against Anderson and target him with bouncers.

For me, Anderson had a weak mentality. Moaning and giving out. Should know how bat and dodge a bit better than what he showed.

Kohli and the Indian team were brilliant. Full of passion.

We crumbled as we do so often with this test team. Your comment about Robinson is very snide (why criticise him for statements he made when a teenager and has apologised for?)

Our two openers are pathetic.

Cambridge Pete

Unfortunately it appears to be an integral part of the game now. Sledging has always been there and can be (just about) acceptable. Alan Lamb and Dennis Lillee had a famous spat to do with Lamb's weight and the culinary skills of Mrs Lillee. Yesterday the umpire appeared to tell one Indian (Bumrha I think) to "Zip it" when he moaned about sledging and short balls. In his case if you can't take it don't dish it out. That notwithstanding it was a great game of cricket and the better team won. Kholi is a strange one passionate about winning sometimes to excess. However, over the years he has displayed some excellent sportsmanship. We need new openers for sure but where are they?

Andy S

I gave up watching cricket once Sky took over from the BBC. It is a waste of life!

Bracken White

When I umpired in youth cricket I would have no truck with sledging - that, of course, was copied from their peers. I told them that was not 'in the spirit of the game' sometimes to the chagrin of the oppo's umpire. I think it is an awful practice when exercised in the 'Steve Waugh' manner & do agree that the present day hierarchy should clamp down on it strongly.
Most certainly from a captain it is unacceptable - as is gesticulating from the pavilion about the light, when they were on the rack.
A good post above.
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

Holders

I remember the photo of Mike Gatting jabbing a finger at an umpire. It was shocking at the time, now becoming too commonplace and out of order. If that happened in football the ultimate sanction is a red card. You don't see that in cricket..
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

junior white

Quote from: unionist_ffc on August 17, 2021, 08:47:26 AM
Bumrah bowled a 10 ball over, deliberate no balls, to prolong his over against Anderson and target him with bouncers.

For me, Anderson had a weak mentality. Moaning and giving out. Should know how bat and dodge a bit better than what he showed.

We crumbled as we do so often with this test team. Your comment about Robinson is very snide (why criticise him for statements he made when a teenager and has apologised for?)

Whilst Anderson should at leats he didnt complain to the umpire about it. The same should be aimed at but cannot be said by Bumrah. It should be noted as well that the umpires allegedly had a word with Bumrah for allegedly saying something to Anderson about hurting him while his wife or GF was watching. But yes done let that gloss over how brilliant the Indians were

unionist_ffc

Quote from: junior white on August 17, 2021, 02:34:29 PM

Whilst Anderson should at leats he didnt complain to the umpire about it. The same should be aimed at but cannot be said by Bumrah. It should be noted as well that the umpires allegedly had a word with Bumrah for allegedly saying something to Anderson about hurting him while his wife or GF was watching. But yes done let that gloss over how brilliant the Indians were

India have been clever in the fact that people think they have been on the wrong end of sledging.

They absolutely started it.

I have no doubt Bumrah will get his commupence but Anderson and team still failed miserably.

Jamie88

I played a decent level of club cricket and it bordered on absurd how vitriolic the sledging was. And yet they expect you to all shake hands and have a beer afterwards, not for me.

I believe that most younger  cricketers have no idea what sledging is supposed to be about - needs to be negative enough to be off-putting sure, but it also needs to have a bit of wit/humour involved. Just calling a complete stranger a c**t wouldn't go down well in the high street, yet somehow is accepted in cricket by today's standards.

Hatch007

Quote from: Holders on August 17, 2021, 09:59:45 AM
I remember the photo of Mike Gatting jabbing a finger at an umpire. It was shocking at the time, now becoming too commonplace and out of order. If that happened in football the ultimate sanction is a red card. You don't see that in cricket..
I fairness to Gatts England had taken 5 wickets in that first session but Pakistan were 75-2 at lunch 🙄

Huxley

Interestingly, the best test team in the world has completely cut out sledging.... India vs NZ also showed there was no need to sledge, just let the cricket talk.

grandad

The master sledgers are the Aussies, but it is all done with subtely.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Holders

Quote from: Hatch007 on August 17, 2021, 04:01:43 PM
Quote from: Holders on August 17, 2021, 09:59:45 AM
I fairness to Gatts England had taken 5 wickets in that first session but Pakistan were 75-2 at lunch 🙄

Yes, he had a point but I was saying that the image was shocking then, not apparently now, it seems.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Plodder

Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to Robinson's tweets as a teenager, nor did I intend to be snide.  It's just that having been through that experience, and all the problems it caused - and I agree the reaction from the press and otherwise was overblown -  it seems unwise of him to put himself further on offer by getting involved in on field sledging

unionist_ffc

Quote from: Plodder on August 17, 2021, 08:20:39 PM

Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to Robinson's tweets as a teenager, nor did I intend to be snide.  It's just that having been through that experience, and all the problems it caused - and I agree the reaction from the press and otherwise was overblown -  it seems unwise of him to put himself further on offer by getting involved in on field sledging

I apologise - I didn't mean for my own message to be snide or aggressive which it probably was on rereading.

For me the most disappointing thing regarding Robinson was his unwillingness to meet Kholi and bowlers in the eye. Kholi even said as much.

anyone can chirp but Robinson seemed to shrink when the chirp was directed back at him and couldn't look them in the eye

Plodder

Quote from: unionist_ffc on August 17, 2021, 08:43:07 PM
Quote from: Plodder on August 17, 2021, 08:20:39 PM

I apologise - I didn't mean for my own message to be snide or aggressive which it probably was on rereading.

For me the most disappointing thing regarding Robinson was his unwillingness to meet Kholi and bowlers in the eye. Kholi even said as much.

anyone can chirp but Robinson seemed to shrink when the chirp was directed back at him and couldn't look them in the eye

Nothing for you to apologise for - I can see why the tone of my original message in relation to Robinson might have been misinterpreted.

The only thing about Robinson not standing up to Kohli, Siraj and co when he was batting is that some players just decide to blot out the surrounding noise when batting, and regard getting involved as potentially distracting and costing their wicket. I wonder whether Robinson is in that category, particularly in a desperate rearguard action to save a game.  Or maybe he was instructed not to respond by Silverwood, Root or someone else. But, as you say, maybe he was just cowed into submission.