watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Can Reed and Seri Fit in the Same Team?

Started by MayoDomo, August 19, 2021, 04:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MayoDomo

With how well Seri has started the season and how instrumental Reed was last season, I'm wondering how we fit them both in the same team. Seri was dropping all the way to between the two centerbacks on Tuesday, and Harrison plays similarly. Does Seri become more box to box with Reed in the lineup? Curious what you guys think happens when Reed is fit.
For Fulham News, Opinions, and Streaming Updates Follow me at https://twitter.com/MayoDomo!

PaulJ123

Yes and push Seri forward, I think that's his best position anyway

General

I know there's  lot of clamour for special one iniesta but at this level especially with his injury record surely there should be more a question of who merits the position him, onomah, Anguissa etc. Anguissa may not have set people's hearts alight in the premiership but at this level is there a question to be answered about who's better?

filham

I was quite surprised how Seri was used in the last match as I always looked upon him as the playmaker with Reed playing behind him in the holding role. I always thought it was a direct choice between Cairney and Seri but will now watch carefuly to see how Serii is employed against Hull on Saturday,

Statto

No brainer for me. Best midfield if Anguissa leaves is Reed, Seri and one of Cairney/Carvalho/BDR

Milo

Quote from: Statto on August 19, 2021, 08:52:33 PM
No brainer for me. Best midfield if Anguissa leaves is Reed, Seri and one of Cairney/Carvalho/BDR

I echo thoughts of OP.

I think I agree with Statto to push on with a Reed-Seri partnership and then we need an AM willing to drive in to the box as the former two will likely sit back.

That means we need BDR, Carvalho, OR Onomah who did this quite well in the opening few games.

I'm not sure Cairney fits in sadly.. unless Seri isn't firing, and he comes off the bench to replace him?

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Milo on August 19, 2021, 10:06:11 PM

I echo thoughts of OP.

I think I agree with Statto to push on with a Reed-Seri partnership and then we need an AM willing to drive in to the box as the former two will likely sit back.

That means we need BDR, Carvalho, OR Onomah who did this quite well in the opening few games.

I'm not sure Cairney fits in sadly.. unless Seri isn't firing, and he comes off the bench to replace him?

I think Reed has the ability to push forward more than he did under Parker. Feel that was more of a tactical assignment. Two sequences come to mind to support the idea. In our last Championship run I remember the reverse ball he played inside the box to Onomah for a goal in one of the final home games of the season. Then there was that wicked cross to Cav last season in the WBA game from wide right for his headed goal. I can very easily imagine him dropping in to get the ball from the back 3 the way FZA and JO have the past 2 games and driving it forward. I would not be surprised if he turns out to be a greater threat to score from that position than the other two as well. 

itombomb

I think Reed and Seri together would be fantastic, and the extra bit of shielding (and guaranteed surety in possession) would also allow the FBs to bomb up the pitch - especially as Reed can drop back into those spaces if needed.

Similarly a fit Cairney would still be hugely useful playing No.10 with those two behind him. If you move Carvalho to the wide forward position he won't make the same runs in behind through the middle of course, but you would completely own the midfield and the FBs could have a field day.

The Rational Fan

I think "How we can fit Seri into the team when everyone is fit?" is an irrelevant question, that has three simple answers: a) "Don't fit Seri in the Team", b) "Place Seri on the Bench" or c) "Play Seri in the Second Half". Seri can play a few central midfield positions, and he is exactly who we need if Reed or Cainrey are injured (or could use a rotation).

The question is irrelevant, because I expect a) Reed to be injured 12 games plus, b) Cairney to be injured 12 games plus, and c) each of them could benefit from a rotation of 7 games each. That is 38 plus games that Seri starts.

General

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 20, 2021, 12:21:03 AM

I think "How we can fit Seri into the team when everyone is fit?" is an irrelevant question, that has three simple answers: a) "Don't fit Seri in the Team", b) "Place Seri on the Bench" or c) "Play Seri in the Second Half". Seri can play a few central midfield positions, and he is exactly who we need if Reed or Cainrey are injured (or could use a rotation).

The question is irrelevant, because I expect a) Reed to be injured 12 games plus, b) Cairney to be injured 12 games plus, and c) each of them could benefit from a rotation of 7 games each. That is 38 plus games that Seri starts.

You missed D) play seri for the entire match.

filham

When I realised McDonald and Stefjo were leaving and that Cairney was likely to be out with an injury for a long time I thought we had a huge problem in midfield.

However right now the midfield is looking pretty strong and providing we can hold on to what we have it should be good enough for a promotion challenge.

Woolly Mammoth

Reed and Seri are small enough to fit into a Bread Bin together.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

copthornemike

In terms of skill no reason why Reed and Seri cannot play together.
However physically both are comparatively small in stature which could be a factor in the EFL particularly.
So far this season Onomah and Anguissa, who even by EFL standards are physically imposing, have been important cogs in our midfield.
If and when Tom is ready to play then there would be a strong argument not to play are arguably best three technically gifted midfielders at the same time.
I must say versus Middlesbrough the likes of Wilson did look like school boys in comparison!

AshfordFFC

I recall when Seri joined, the usual 'highlights youtube' vids were arrayed for view (a similar one below), and in my opinion, it is quite evident that yes, they could play together as Seri is more of an attacking / creative midfielder as others have pointed out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar_92X0t78g

H4usuallysitting

In a fluid system...both can easily play in the same team