watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dementia

Started by Andy S, August 23, 2021, 01:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

I played all my life. From about  in the neighbourhood in Glasgow through schooldays, almost every day. Don't recall heading the ball. 
PE teacher and coach (teenage years) used to yell...keep the ball on the carpet. Good advice. My best position was full back but being short I rarely headed a ball. By the time I was 20 something I read the game better and used a few tricks on my opponent to avoid heading when ever possible. When I got past 40 I never headed a ball.

Coaching teenagers, I told them to not head a ball between the penalty areas, and in the area, only if absolutely necessary. ( I would say, besides, none of you know how to do it properly, if you get it wrong, it hurts).

Having said all that, the pro game needs heading. Unfortunately most players seem to be centre back or centre forward who are likely to get dementia.

toshes mate

Some interesting research coming for rugby football to demonstrate that one season can see a decline in blood flow to a player's brain with resultant cognitive changes.   

MrCorn

I really don't see a problem with football outlawing heading the ball, and if the science behind it is strong enough, this will happen. It will probably make for a more skillfull game. There are very few headed goals of noteriety. Denis Odoi's in the play off semi final comes to mind, but was more about occasion and rarity than actual skill. If forwards don't head it, they will volley it, and those goals do make for the most skillful goals scored. Defenders will need more than strength and bravery to defend well.

blingo

Quote from: MrCorn on August 31, 2021, 01:42:29 PM
I really don't see a problem with football outlawing heading the ball, and if the science behind it is strong enough, this will happen. It will probably make for a more skillfull game. There are very few headed goals of noteriety. Denis Odoi's in the play off semi final comes to mind, but was more about occasion and rarity than actual skill. If forwards don't head it, they will volley it, and those goals do make for the most skillful goals scored. Defenders will need more than strength and bravery to defend well.

The likes of Mitro depends on those goals and the days of central defenders going up for a corner will disappear. How will it make for a more skilful game if you take things away from it?