watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What This Board Needs Is A Good Old RLC Thread

Started by NewYorkYank, August 30, 2021, 03:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewYorkYank

There seems to be an inverse relationship between how the team plays and the content of this Board -- the more entertaining the soccer,* the less entertaining the threads.  Yes, we still have the Scott Parker debate to kick around (yawn), but nothing brought out the spice and venom quite like old Ruben Loftus-Cheek.  Am I the only one who misses girding up every Sunday morning to enter the RLC fray?  So far this season, all we have had to do on Sunday is glow in the warm feelings of another irresistible performance by the team.  The day seems empty.  Any volunteers to go at it?

* Yes, I know it's "football," but my fellow Yanks will confirm that, in the US, only the most pretentious wannabes use English over American terms.  Thus, you will never see me use the term "pace," "pitch," or, God help me, "endeavor," -- I mean "endeavour."  The only exception I make is "w*nker," which is your country's greatest gift to the English language.

Nero

Has he played a game this year nothing to critique unlike a Parker borefest

H4usuallysitting

It'll be interesting to see who get's mugged off with him this season...... wouldn't it be equally interesting, if we took him again and Marco turned him into a world class player

RoyTund

Quote from: NewYorkYank on August 30, 2021, 03:10:40 PM
There seems to be an inverse relationship between how the team plays and the content of this Board -- the more entertaining the soccer,* the less entertaining the threads.  Yes, we still have the Scott Parker debate to kick around (yawn), but nothing brought out the spice and venom quite like old Ruben Loftus-Cheek.  Am I the only one who misses girding up every Sunday morning to enter the RLC fray?  So far this season, all we have had to do on Sunday is glow in the warm feelings of another irresistible performance by the team.  The day seems empty.  Any volunteers to go at it?

* Yes, I know it's "football," but my fellow Yanks will confirm that, in the US, only the most pretentious wannabes use English over American terms.  Thus, you will never see me use the term "pace," "pitch," or, God help me, "endeavor," -- I mean "endeavour."  The only exception I make is "w*nker," which is your country's greatest gift to the English language.

You mean our greatest gift to our own language?!

Jimmy Hill

NewYorkYank

Quote from: RoyTund on August 30, 2021, 07:05:41 PM

Yes, Roy.  I suspect you're right.  While I can accept no one finding this post funny, you are the only one who seems to grasp that it was at least an attempt at humor, even if it did also serve to highlight the difference between this year and last.  To paraphrase Bernard Shaw, I guess we are divided by a common language.

Slaphead in Qatar

Parker's biggest sin last season - playing RLC every week.

Steven Ageroad

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on August 30, 2021, 07:37:12 PM

I heard the problem was that if we played RLC Chelsea would pay a big chunk of his wages, if we didn't play him we'd have to pay his full wage which was an eye watering amount.

HV71

"I guess we are divided by a common language."

You are so right - yours is common   eg "gotten "  ours -  far more refined

HV71

SP

I agree with the OP, I certainly miss the RLC threads, great entertainment.  Perhaps he'll pitch up at Bournemouth & provoke more discussion? 

Hatch007

Quote from: Steven Ageroad on August 30, 2021, 07:47:52 PM

I heard the problem was that if we played RLC Chelsea would pay a big chunk of his wages, if we didn't play him we'd have to pay his full wage which was an eye watering amount.
Shocking if true but would at least explain the otherwise inexplicable ... ie playing RLC so often

SP

Ah, but RLC will have lost the match fitness we provided last season......

Black, White and Fred

My favourite thing about RLC is what a media darling he is. All this talk about he is going to develop into an amazing player, he has the whole package, just need a run in a team etc. Guys 25 years old which by footballer standards is no spring chicken. Will probably see out his deal at Chelsea with bit part loans and then sign for a promoted club and be rubbish and then forgotten about. And that is the last I will ever speak about him
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

Wolf

It's only known as football all over the world.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

grandad

If we manage to get rid of Knockaert there really won´t be anyone to have a slagging off thread.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Max Headroom

We better keep him then.... Lol

Quote from: grandad on August 31, 2021, 10:30:27 AM
If we manage to get rid of Knockaert there really won´t be anyone to have a slagging off thread.

Whitesideup

Quote from: NewYorkYank on August 30, 2021, 07:36:04 PM
Quote from: RoyTund on August 30, 2021, 07:05:41 PM

Yes, Roy.  I suspect you're right.  While I can accept no one finding this post funny, you are the only one who seems to grasp that it was at least an attempt at humor, even if it did also serve to highlight the difference between this year and last.  To paraphrase Bernard Shaw, I guess we are divided by a common language.
Sorry NewYorkYank, but irony is not something that we readily associate with Americans .. despite Frasier, which excelled in it, and there were already elements of it in Hawkeye's humour in M.A.S.H. But you are setting a standard! We will have to read the posts from the other side of the pond more carefully!

Holders

Anyone interested in RLC would do well to read the present West Ham related threads on twitter where Fulham fans are making their feelings abundantly clear e.g. "overpaid, over-rated waste of space".
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Fulham 442

Quote from: Steven Ageroad on August 30, 2021, 07:47:52 PM

So we lost out either way!!