News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is it really 45 years since George Best's FFC debut?

Started by SP, September 04, 2021, 01:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

Where has this time gone?  I'm going to hook out my programme & take a trip down memory lane. Can remember that day & his early goal so clearly. RIP Georgie.

bog

Yes and its 58 years since Rodney Marsh's.   :dft011:

092.gif

Woolly Mammoth

and they both played together in the same Fulham team, how lucky were we.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 04, 2021, 02:56:21 PM

With the late great Bobby Moore too!

filham

[/quote

We are never going to see a show better than M&B put on that season they were together at the Cottage.

Dunstable Fulham

My Dad took my brother and I to the Hereford home game. We were sat in the old riverside stand right behind Marshes curler into the top corner - what a day that was - one of those matches I will never forget. I was 11 at the time and don't really think I understood the significance of watching Best, Marsh and Moore in the same  Fulham team.
Happy days !

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Twig on September 04, 2021, 05:45:15 PM

With the late great Bobby Moore too!

Yes how could I forget the one and only late great Bobby Moore, etched into the annals of Footballing Folk Law. Leadership, Charisma, Class and Character just four words in a Dictionary owned by Bobby Moore. He was a legend in his own lifetime.
With all three playing in the same Fulham team, what a Footballing Hatrick, you could not make it up.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

And Bobby, alongside Alan Mullery, led us to  our only FA Cup final.

I'd  watched Rodney, like Alan Mullery, in his first period with us, then to see him running out at the Cottage with Bobby Moore, and the great George Best, was sheer magic.

The fact that Bobby, Rodney and George  still demonstrated their  great class and ability with us was an added bonus, particularly George perhaps, with all the troubles he'd had, and when many said he was past it and  just looking for a last payday - but he was brilliant, and really worked hard for the team.

Yes, we were so lucky to witness such players at Fulham.

bigalffc

I remember photos and newspaper stories of Georgie doing extra training running up and down the stands to catch up his fitness
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

cmg

Agree with so much that has been said.
A fabulous surprise to get hold of Best...and Moore.
And they didn't just grace us with their presence, they didn't just go through the motions, they really delivered and showed just why they were held in such esteem.

There is a Youtube clip of a match (v Oxford, I think) where George, having already scored a dazzling goal, is hacked down for the umpteenth time. Looks like he is about to retaliate when Mooro runs up laughing his head off, puts his arm around George's shoulder and whispers something in his ear. Love to know what he said.
Two genuinely great players enjoying the twilight of their careers.

jarv

I was at both Best and Marsh debut games.  Remember them well. It is a shame Best did not stay for another season.