watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Time to end the international breaks

Started by Colton F.C., September 08, 2021, 10:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colton F.C.

The constant interuption of the league programe does nothing for football.

Qualification for international tournaments should all take place in the summer.  It might be a bit crowded there for fixtures with the proposed biannual World Cups but wtf.

Lighthouse

It is all down to money and the different International associations wanting their bit of the pie.

International football is a complete waste of time for me personally but clearly many fans enjoy it. But there is so much football that I find the games dull and uninspiring. They are often of a lower level than we are used to in the leagues.

Not sure it will ever change sadly. Until we stop having qualifying games for tournaments it will go on as usual. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WestSussexWhite

I think they should scrap international breaks meaning the season finishes a month earlier, you can use that month to play all of the qualifiers needed

cookieg

Playing internationals over the summer means players would be playing all year round meaning more likely they will get injured and not rested for their club games. They may well be professional athletes but they still need to rest and recover. The international breaks also gives clubs a chance to get their own players fit and new players settled in.

MJG

Quote from: Colton F.C. on September 08, 2021, 10:44:52 PM

Qualification for international tournaments should all take place in the summer.  It might be a bit crowded there for fixtures with the proposed biannual World Cups but wtf.
100% agree. I would scrap internationals during Aug -April and run the league during these months. Players take May off and internationals from June to July.

It would be a mini-Qualifying tournament every other summer and then the main events in the other years.
Just the views of a long term fan

Craven_Chris

I completely agree, but its funny how international football has changed. I remember thinking that international football was the most elite form of the game, the Brazil national team typically being the single greatest collection of footballing talent that existed, the absolute pinnacle of the game.

But money has changed that all now, the best teams are the top European club sides, combining the top players from the top nations into single squads.

So international football has, for me, become a bit of an annoying distraction. I liked the Euros and the big tournaments in the summer are fun, but seriously, how does making England (or anyone serious) play Andorra or San Marino, mid-season, in the midst of a pandemic, make any sense at all?!?!

filham

The fans are never considered in these matters, I have yet to hear anyone in favour of international breaks.

MJG

Quote from: Craven_Chris on September 09, 2021, 09:29:52 AM
I completely agree, but its funny how international football has changed. I remember thinking that international football was the most elite form of the game, the Brazil national team typically being the single greatest collection of footballing talent that existed, the absolute pinnacle of the game.

But money has changed that all now, the best teams are the top European club sides, combining the top players from the top nations into single squads.

So international football has, for me, become a bit of an annoying distraction. I liked the Euros and the big tournaments in the summer are fun, but seriously, how does making England (or anyone serious) play Andorra or San Marino, mid-season, in the midst of a pandemic, make any sense at all?!?!
Id also have a group of the lowest ranked teams.
Group of slow death:

Malta
Andorra
San Marino
Gilbraltar
Liechtenstein
Just the views of a long term fan

rusty shackleford

Quote from: cookieg on September 09, 2021, 08:52:16 AM
Playing internationals over the summer means players would be playing all year round

How? Its literally the exact same number of games.

Penfold

I personally don't have a problem with international breaks.

One of the major reasons given for starting the Premier League was to reduce the number of top flight games and give the England manager more time with his squad. That bit of Premier League history seems to have been forgotten.

General

And that's why you're probably not in a management position. Just a random impulsive thought that seems to pander to own personal thoughts and feelings instead of the various stakeholders that are part of the game at all levels and who it affects.

You even gave one reason why it wouldn't work. If you have two four year cycles giving a one year gap between each competition you leave little room for player recovery, increased injuries, lack of transfer activity, lack of time off or time for problems to arise (covid) and for enough time for games to be played.

Due to covid you had euros last year and world cup next year too. You simply couldn't do international qualifications next summer because of that disruption.

And those are just some very simple and obvious reasons they are when they are.

Feel this post is purely triggered by the fact Wilson may be out with concussion having just got back from a suspension and mitro having a bruised face according to match reports and you rating both of them.

Wilson is a loss if he is out for 10 days (let's hope not), but we have a lot of quality in the squad to come in if that's the case.

rebel

The big problem is there are far too many countries in qualification for tournaments. They've kept increasing them to ridiculous numbers.
Malta are never going to win the World Cup. If they want the smaller countries to compete, then Malta, Latvia etc should have combined squad represent them in qualification.

It's embarrassing that FIFA think they can compete at the same level. So less matches all round.   

Penfold

Quote from: rebel on September 09, 2021, 11:56:27 AM
The big problem is there are far too many countries in qualification for tournaments. They've kept increasing them to ridiculous numbers.
Malta are never going to win the World Cup. If they want the smaller countries to compete, then Malta, Latvia etc should have combined squad represent them in qualification.

It's embarrassing that FIFA think they can compete at the same level. So less matches all round.   

On the same basis, should domestic football just be reduced to teams capable of winning competitions?

jarv

Well that's that then. I think we are all in agreement, internationals are a waste of time.

As stated already, they used to be exciting and produce some great football but now they are just cardboard cut out games.

I remember going to many Wembley and Hampden games. Even though I am a Scot, thoroughly enjoyed the England internationals. The quality of the football was the best. Just recently, with a tinge of sadness, in a clear out I tossed all my old programs. Back then of course, games were often on a Wednesday night. Perfect.

I have no interest in them now and before any of you toss out a comment, I know Scotland have not had much of a team for 20 years.  :005:  No need to remind me.

Colton F.C.

Quote from: General on September 09, 2021, 11:37:39 AM

And that's why you're probably not in a management position. Just a random impulsive thought that seems to pander to own personal thoughts and feelings instead of the various stakeholders that are part of the game at all levels and who it affects.

You even gave one reason why it wouldn't work. If you have two four year cycles giving a one year gap between each competition you leave little room for player recovery, increased injuries, lack of transfer activity, lack of time off or time for problems to arise (covid) and for enough time for games to be played.

Due to covid you had euros last year and world cup next year too. You simply couldn't do international qualifications next summer because of that disruption.

And those are just some very simple and obvious reasons they are when they are.

Feel this post is purely triggered by the fact Wilson may be out with concussion having just got back from a suspension and mitro having a bruised face according to match reports and you rating both of them.

Wilson is a loss if he is out for 10 days (let's hope not), but we have a lot of quality in the squad to come in if that's the case.
Absolutely not. Have been mulling over this for some time.

Obviously by getting rid of the international breaks there is the opportunity to shorten the league season and therefore increase the time available for internationals.  There would be no increase in playing time.

Playing time could in fact be reduced if the qualifying groups became one country tournaments.  Smaller countries have then the possibility of running a tournament that they would otherwise not be open to them (unless you are Qatar).

Maybe even the FA Cup rounds could be held on Saturdays.

Continuity for international sides could be provided by midweek get togethers at agreed points in the season.  If they want a game, there are plenty of non-league side that would provide a more meaningful development exercise than facing off San Marino.

As it stands the whole thing is a confusing hotch potch that makes no sense, depriving coaches and managers of the continuity and ability to provide entertaining football.  International footballers are asked to play endless treadmill of football to the detriment their health and well-being.  And finally, supporters are left with a product that is frustrating and disjointed.

Unfortunately, the international football authorities have it in mind to make the whole thing worse by holding bi-annual World and European tournaments.  A proposal that gives even the European Super League a good name.

jarv

Just to add one more comment. Group stages, look at the tables. It so painfully obvious the leaders might as well be given free passes. If we were all asked at the beginning who will top the groups, I think we would all come up with the same answers.

What's the point? Seeding turns football into tennis, the same teams make it every time.

Solution (maybe), reduce the big teams number of games and bring them in at a later stage when the minnows have finished pre qualification.  It has worked for ever in the fa cup.

70sPimlico

We'll let you tell Mitro

Wolf

Norwich are never going to win the league, but they still turn up every week.

I don't think the issue in qualification is more countries, although the European Championship finals is now bloated with 24 nations, and the group stage rendered close to meaningless.

The qualification issue is the complete mismatch between the upper and lower quartile European football nations. I've watched England play Lithuania and Liechtenstein and the gulf in quality is immense. All the lower quartile nations have going for them is organisation, fitness and one or two players of second tier domestic league standard. But the international calendar gets fuller. Three internationals in a week? Not interested.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Wolf on September 09, 2021, 04:43:03 PM

Norwich are never going to win the league, but they still turn up every week.

I don't think the issue in qualification is more countries, although the European Championship finals is now bloated with 24 nations, and the group stage rendered close to meaningless.

The qualification issue is the complete mismatch between the upper and lower quartile European football nations. I've watched England play Lithuania and Liechtenstein and the gulf in quality is immense. All the lower quartile nations have going for them is organisation, fitness and one or two players of second tier domestic league standard. But the international calendar gets fuller. Three internationals in a week? Not interested.

Because of the pandemic, CONCACAF rearranged its qualifying this cycle to be more what people are suggesting here. There was a large prelim round (six groups of five; all(?) matches played at a neutral site) and then the six group winners played HTH for three spots in the final round, where they joined the five highest-seeded teams. No wasted matches for sides like the US or MEX (and a slight reduction from 16 qualifiers in past years to 14), and the minnows had more chances to win games.

The three matches in one window is ridiculous, though. These guys are possibly playing every 3-4 days for weeks and weeks at a time.

rebel

Quote from: Penfold on September 09, 2021, 12:13:44 PM

On the same basis, should domestic football just be reduced to teams capable of winning competitions?

It would make everything more competitive, is it fun watching your team lose 28 matches in the Prem out of 38 matches?

If 5 of the smaller nations banded together they would stand a better chance of doing something special.

International football is a bit like the 'Eurovision Song Contest' at the moment, same countries at the bottom.