watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (25/12/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 25, 2010, 07:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/12/24/more-false-9-and-inverted-winger-pleas/?

More false 9 and inverted winger pleas
Filed under: General — rich 
I've suggested this before (with a nice diagram), but if we have no fit centre-forward worthy of the name we need to make the most of what we do have, namely attacking midfielder types.

Jonathan Wilson's review of the tactical year.

Barcelona also show the effectiveness of two of the other tactical trends in club football: the false nine and the inverted winger. Again, their absence at national level probably suggests the relative lack of sophistication in the international game. When Lionel Messi plays in the middle of a front three, he persistently drops off, leaving David Villa and Pedro to cut in from wide positions, so they are perpetually working on a diagonal, operating in the space between centre-back and full-back. When it works, as it has done over the past few weeks, it is devastating, and the 5-0 win over Real Madrid is likely to stand in their history as Milan's 5-0 victory over Real Madrid in the 1989 European Cup semi-final does in theirs.

We need to get some kind of Dembele-Dempsey-Gera thing going on along these lines.  No pace, so it won't work like Barca do it, but surely, surely it needs to be considered.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1341451/Fulham-v-WEST-HAM-Robert-Green-returns-Boxing-Day-derby.html?

Fulham v WEST HAM: Robert Green returns but Valon Behrami and Victor Obina both doubts

Goalkeeper Robert Green could be back after recovering from a minor hip operation to give West Ham a boost for the Boxing Day trip to Fulham.

Valon Behrami and Victor Obinna could also return although manager Avram Grant will decided after training on Christmas Day.

Midfielder Mark Noble, however, is still a doubt with a hip injury while Jack Collison, Manual Da Costa and Thomas Hitzlsperger are all out.

Winger Luis Boa Morte misses out through suspension, but Freddie Sears could be included after returning from loan at Scunthorpe.

Team (from): Green, Ben-Haim, Tomkins, Upson, Gabbidon, Barrera, Stanislas, Parker, Behrami, Dyer, McCarthy, Spector, Cole, Obinna, Piquionne, Sears, Larkins, Reid, Faubert, Boffin.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1341451/Fulham-v-WEST-HAM-Robert-Green-returns-Boxing-Day-derby.html#ixzz196bgnDZ0

WhiteJC

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/1224/fulham_westham.html?

Fulham v West Ham United

Mark Hughes will give a fitness test to Mousa Dembele before deciding whether he will play any part in Fulham's derby clash with fellow relegation strugglers West Ham.

Dembele returned to training this week after spending the last five weeks on the sidelines with an ankle injury.

Matthew Briggs (calf) is out until next month, while Bobby Zamora (leg) and Philippe Senderos (Achilles) should return in February.

Robert Green, Victor Obinna and Valon Behrami are all expected to return to the West Ham squad.

The trio missed last weekend's 1-1 Barclays Premier League draw at Blackburn, goalkeeper Green after minor hip surgery, Obinna with a bruised leg, and Behrami after hurting his hip during the warm-up at Ewood Park.

Striker Freddie Sears could go straight into the squad after being recalled from his loan spell at Scunthorpe, but Mark Noble (hip), Jack Collison and Anthony Edgar (both knee) are still unavailable, as are Thomas Hitzlsperger (thigh) and Manuel da Costa (foot).

Fulham squad: Schwarzer, Kelly, Salcido, Hughes, Baird, Hangeland, Duff, Dempsey, Murphy, Davies, Gera, Etuhu, A Johnson, E Johnson, Dembele, Stockdale, Pantsil, Kamara, Greening, Dikgacoi.

West Ham squad: Green, Boffin, Ben Haim, Upson, Spector, Faubert, Tomkins, Gabbidon, Parker, Barrera, Cole, Stanislas, Dyer, Piquionne, Hines, Obinna, Kovac, Boa Morte, Stech, Reid, Jacobsen, Behrami, Sears.

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/3983/2/hughes-not-fearing-sack-fulham?

Hughes not fearing the sack from Fulham

Fulham boss Mark Hughes insists he isn't worried about getting the sack.

Reports had suggested the former Manchester City boss could be fired if his side don't beat West Ham on Boxing Day.

But despite only being out of the relegation zone on goal difference, Hughes insists he will turn the situation around once the likes of Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele return from injury.

"I haven't spoken to the chairman this week," said Hughes. "It hasn't been discussed with me.

"It is very obvious where we are and the issues we have within the team. We aren't scoring enough goals due to the personnel missing.

"It is about making sure we are still working hard and doing the right things and wait for something to change for us.

"Do I feel under pressure? Not particularly. I've been through this before, and people at the club understand the difficulties we have had this year, and that the work we do is good work.

"At some point in the future we will turn our results into positive results and start climbing the league."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/MarkHughesWestHamPreview.aspx?

Boxing Day Preview

Mark Hughes is pinpointing the Boxing Day meeting with West Ham as a chance to boost Fulham's league position, and start the festive fixture schedule in positive fashion.

The Whites boss admits that his side needs to start scoring more goals to turn the many drawn games this term into wins and, after some impressive performances of late, believes that this could be the game that sees fortunes turn in our favour.

"It's obvious why we are where we are - we're not scoring enough goals," he said. "So it's about making sure we're still working hard and we're still doing the right things as we wait for something to change for us. I think that's been the case in recent weeks. We've needed a break to get our noses in front and then, I'm sure we'd comfortably see games out. But at the moment we're not experiencing that.

"If you look at our record we've been beaten five times, but four of those were against teams in the top five, so we're very competitive against the rest of the league and on our day we can beat the top teams as well. So it's a case of remaining positive.

"We're obviously looking for a positive result against West Ham. There are a lot of games this time of year and a lot of points available for us, so a good starting point would be to win our home game against West Ham and that will hopefully kick us on to a run."

The Hammers sit bottom of the table this Christmas, a position that has guaranteed relegation in all-but-one Premier League season, but Hughes believes that the close nature of competition in the division this term means that our Boxing Day visitors can retain a certain degree of optimism that safety is well within their reach.

"You look at the stats and it's not the best position to be in because, historically, it means you're going to be in trouble, but maybe this year could be an exception because the league is so concertinaed in terms of points.

"Not many points separate a hell of a lot of teams so if you go on a run then, very quickly, back-to-back wins can shoot you up the league. So I should think that's something that's sustaining West Ham's confidence – the knowledge that it only takes a couple of results and you can be back in the mix."

And the same principle certainly applies to the Whites who could very conceivably find themselves in the top half of the table by the start of 2011 if things go their way.

"If you convert just some of our draws into wins then very quickly we'd go up the League," he explained.

"Unfortunately you can put in really good performances and get a positive result, which a draw always is, but invariably it won't move you up the league. So we do need three points on the board."

The Manager also made a point of praising the Club's grounds staff whose tireless efforts amidst the snowfall and freezing temperatures of the past couple of weeks have meant minimal disruption to the team's training, allowing them to prepare for the forthcoming matches virtually as normal.

"Our grounds staff have been fantastic," he enthused. "It's been a really big ask for them to produce adequate training areas for us, but they've been brilliant - I can't speak highly enough of them. Every day they're shifting tonnes of snow off covers, and then, after we've spoiled their pitch, they bat down every divot, then they re-cover it, and then they do the same the next day as well!

"We really appreciate their hard work because it's enabled us to train on grass every single day, which is really important for us."

The Whites are hopeful of a Boxing Day return for Mousa Dembélé who has been out of action since injuring his ankle whilst playing for Belgium in early November, although a decision on his availability won't be made until the latest possible moment.

"He's been training, but he's not been 100 per cent," detailed Hughes. "We're going to give him as much time as we can because he gives us something that possibly we've been lacking in recent games in terms of his ability to create something out of nothing and give us a spark in the final third.

"We're hopeful, but at this stage I would say it's 50/50 as to whether or not he's going to be involved."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/MarkHughesWestHamPreview.aspx?#ixzz196cwBdVW

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/12/24/fulham-need-to-score-first-insists-hughes-82029-27883007/?

Fulham need to score first insists Hughes

MARK Hughes reckons that if Fulham score first – they will beat West Ham on Boxing Day. The Whites boss is certain his team will shoot up the league if they seize the initiative rather than having to chase games, and denied his job is at risk despite Fulham hovering just outside the relegation places on goal difference only.

He said: "It's been the case in recent weeks that we needed a break to get our noses in front, and then I'm sure we would see games out.

"At the moment we aren't experienced in that. In terms of how we are playing, if you look at our record we have been beaten five times – but four of those games were against teams in the top five.

"We are very competitive against the rest, and on our day we can beat the top teams as well."

Talk of becoming the latest managerial casualty in the Premiership cut no ice with Hughes – although he admitted the loss of Bobby Zamora, Mousa Dembele to go with a struggling Andy Johnson, have contributed massively to the mere 10 goals scored at Craven Cottage this season.

He added: "We aren't scoring enough goals due to the personnel missing.

"We remain positive. And a good starting point would be to win our game against West Ham, which we feel we are very capable of.

"This time last year we went on a poor run, but we don't anticipate that being the case this year.

"There will always be speculation – and there's nothing I can do about it.

"I haven't spoken to the chairman this week, and it hasn't been discussed with me. All I can do is make sure the team is in the best possible shape."

Dembele has only a '50-50' chance of facing the Premiership's bottom side, while Zamora Philippe Senderos and Matthew Briggs are all out with long-term injuries."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/12/24/fulham-need-to-score-first-insists-hughes-82029-27883007/?#ixzz196dHFuEI

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/fulham-vs-west-ham-united-sun-26-dec-2010?

Fulham Vs West Ham United, Sun 26 Dec 2010
Fulham Vs West Ham United: Match Preview

Mark Hughes will give a fitness test to Mousa Dembele before deciding whether he will play any part in Fulham's Boxing Day derby clash with fellow relegation strugglers West Ham.

Dembele returned to training this week after spending the last five weeks on the sidelines with an ankle injury.

Matthew Briggs (calf) is out until next month, while Bobby Zamora (leg) and Philippe Senderos (Achilles) should return in February.

Hughes shrugged off speculation that defeat could spell the end of his reign as Fulham manager.

Chairman Mohamed Al Fayed is reported to be losing patience with Hughes, who has presided over a disappointing start to the season.

The Cottagers sit one place above the relegation zone in the Barclays Premier League on goal difference and Hughes' odds in the sack race have shortened.

But the Welshman is convinced Fulham will start climbing the table, blaming their large number of draws on the absence of striker Bobby Zamora through injury.

"I haven't spoken to the chairman this week. It hasn't been discussed with me," said Hughes, who was appointed in July.

"We have no apprehension about the games ahead of us. There will be speculation, there always is. There is nothing I can do about it.

"I don't particularly feel under pressure. I've been through this before.

"People at the club understand the difficulties we have had this year and that the work we do is good work.

"At some point in the future we will turn our results into positive results and begin moving up the table.

"All I can do is make sure the team is in the best possible shape to take on top-quality opposition. It's very obvious where we are and the issues we have within the team.

"We aren't scoring enough goals due to the personnel missing. It's about making sure we are still working hard and doing the right things and wait for something to change.

"That has been the case in recent weeks where we needed a break to get our noses in front."

Goalkeeper Robert Green could be back after recovering from a minor hip operation to give West Ham a boost.

Valon Behrami and Victor Obinna could also return but midfielder Mark Noble is still a doubt with a hip injury while Jack Collison, Manual Da Costa and Thomas Hitzlsperger are all out.

Winger Luis Boa Morte misses out through suspension, but Freddie Sears could be included after returning from loan at Scunthorpe.

Avram Grant insists there is no way he would allow Scott Parker to leave the relegation-threatened club in the January transfer window.

Grant admits the rock-bottom Hammers are likely to be busy in the transfer market as he fights to save his job and West Ham attempt to claw their way to Premier League safety.

But while he is looking to bring in several reinforcements, Parker, who has been linked with a possible move to Tottenham, will be going nowhere.

Grant admitted West Ham are close to completing a deal with Aston Villa for midfielder Steve Sidwell, but when asked if Parker could be leaving he said: "No chance.

"Scott Parker is more than a good player for this football club. Even though we are at the bottom, we are trying to do the right things for this club.

"We know all the teams that succeeded did not have it so easy at the start.

"He is one of the foundations of this club. The owners have made it very clear that they want Scott Parker here and want good players here.

"We don't have many like Scott Parker and it would not be good for us if he left the club and I don't think it would be good for him. He knows what the vision of the club is and he is part of it."

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

WhiteJC

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/football/westham/8758159.Head_to_head__Fulham_v_West_Ham/?ref=rss

Head to head: Fulham v West Ham

MARK Hughes will give a fitness test to Mousa Dembele, who returned to training this week after spending the last five weeks on the sidelines with an ankle injury.

Matthew Briggs (calf) is out until next month. Bobby Zamora (leg) and Philippe Senderos (Achilles) should return in February.

Goalkeeper Robert Green could be back after recovering from a minor hip operation to give West Ham a boost.

Valon Behrami and Victor Obinna could also return but Mark Noble is still a doubt with a hip injury while Jack Collison, Manual Da Costa and Thomas Hitzlsperger are all out.

Winger Luis Boa Morte misses out through suspension.

Last season: Fulham 3 West Ham 2, West Ham 2 Fulham 2

Last five league matches: Fulham D L D L D; West Ham L W L L D

Top scorers: Clinton Dempsey (Fulham) 6; Scott Parker (West Ham) 6

Match odds: H 19-20 A 16-5 D 11-5

Table: Fulham 17th, West Ham 20th.

Referee: Mark Halsey (Lancashire).

WhiteJC

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8188758

Hughes has no fear of Fulham axe

Fulham manager Mark Hughes insisted on Friday that he has no fears of the axe falling should his struggling side lose to rock-bottom West Ham on Sunday.

Fulham are just one place above the Premier League relegation zone but Hughes, the former Manchester City and Wales manager, said that chairman Mohamed Al Fayed has not discussed the team's plight.

"I haven't spoken to the chairman this week. It hasn't been discussed with me," said Hughes, who was appointed in July.

"We have no apprehension about the games ahead of us. There will be speculation, there always is. There is nothing I can do about it.

"I don't particularly feel under pressure. I've been through this before.

"People at the club understand the difficulties we have had this year and that the work we do is good work.

"At some point in the future we will turn our results into positive results and begin moving up the table.

"All I can do is make sure the team is in the best possible shape to take on top-quality opposition. It's very obvious where we are and the issues we have within the team.

"We aren't scoring enough goals due to the personnel missing. It's about making sure we are still working hard and doing the right things and wait for something to change.

"That has been the case in recent weeks where we needed a break to get our noses in front."

WhiteJC

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20101225121940

Nsofor doubtful for Fulham trip

Fulham and West Ham do battle at Craven Cottage on Sunday, with the match providing an opportunity for West Ham's Obinna Nsofor and his Nigerian counterpart at Fulham, Dickson Etuhu to help turn their clubs' flagging fortunes around. But Nsofor is in a fitness race to be in the line-up.

Both sides have picked up just two Premier League wins this season and the pressure is mounting on their respective managers – Fulham boss Mark Hughes and West Ham's Avram Grant.

In one of just two Premier League fixtures to take place last weekend, West Ham gained a cre;dible 1-1 away draw at Blackburn, a welcome confidence boost, according to Grant.

"You saw with all the injuries we have, we came to a difficult place and were the better side," Grant said.

"I believe we can stay up because I see the performances that we've had until now and the points gap. I think it's possible."

The former Chelsea boss denied suggestions he needs to post a win in the club's next two matches to save his job.

"I spoke with the owners and they didn't tell me anything about this," he said.

"We just spoke about football, as we always do, and how we can make the team stronger in January. That's all."

Grant, who is expected to delve into the January transfer market to strengthen the playing ranks at Upton Park, has been forced to recall striker Freddie Sears from a loan spell at Championship outfit Scunthorpe United.

First-choice goalkeeper Robert Green, who missed Saturday's trip to Blackburn due to the removal of a cyst, is expected to return for the London derby, while Obinna Nsofor (bruised leg) and Valon Behrami (thigh) are in doubt.

Like Grant, Hughes is also under pressure to keep his job, particularly given that his side are winless in seven league fixtures and are lingering perilously in the relegation zone.

Recent results have prompted rumours that owner Mohamed Al Fayed is ready to appoint former Tottenham and Ajax boss Martin Jol if Hughes cannot rectify the slump.

WhiteJC

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/674652-fulham-transfer-news-and-speculation?

Fulham transfer news, rumours and speculation
All the latest on Fulham transfers for the January window 2011 - news, rumours and done deals from Craven Cottage.

Mark Hughes' main job in January will be to find a man who is capable of turning draw specialists Fulham into a team capable of winning games.

While their solid back-line makes the Cottagers tough to beat, a clinical striker is a must if Hughes is to avoid finding his side dragged into the mire down the stretch.

There isn't a lot of cash available so Hughes will need to be smart about his movements - but the club are expected to sell as well as buy.

Top-rated defender Brede Hangeland is sure to attract interest - but Hughes may be looking at other areas to strip back the squad and build elsewhere.

DONE DEALS
Players in: None
Players out: None
Transfer rumours
Landon Donovan could opt for Fulham over Everton ¦ David Bentley set to be reunited with Mark Hughes in January ¦

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/674652-fulham-transfer-news-and-speculation#ixzz196f5jMYk

WhiteJC

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/12/stand_and_deliver.php?

Stand and Deliver

The holiday season is here for the rest of us, but professional footballers face their busiest spell of the season. Train Christmas Day and an early night ahead of the Boxing Day games. Fulham's could not be bigger.

This is quite simply the 'must win' game of the season to date. Lose at home to bottom side West Ham, and by any benchmark Mark will have a hard time post-match looking for any more excuses. Once the unbeaten start came to a halt the side has been going backwards, as the form book shows, while the talk of injured players only deflects from our overall weaknesses.
By degree, all the struggling sides around us have by now also had to deal with key players sidelined. Petrov and Agbonlahor at Villa, Henry a big loss to Wolves in defence, McCarthy long term absentee for Wigan, West Ham changing their side week on week.

Having come to terms with the loss of Zamora and two spells without Dembele, Fulham have by and large been relatively lucky with injuries, and of course our on-going good discipline means we have suffered no suspensions. Imagine how dismally one-dimensional the side would have looked in the last 3 months had Dempsey picked up a knock along the way?

Observing the barren run at close quarters, the really worrying aspect for me seemed the lack of any Plan B from management, any vital signs there was a strategy in place or evidence Woy's team could adapt to a new way of playing.

I have repeatedly been dumbstruck by the use of EJ as a substitute, denying invaluable big match experience to youngsters - some of who we're led to believe are brimming with promise. Ten minutes here and there for these guys against Villa, Brum, Sunderland or Wigan would have told us far more than 20 minutes of Eddie going nowhere.

The ridiculous inability to win away from CC should have been consigned to the record books back on October 2nd at Upton Park. We take the lead, gift Hammers a soft goal, then fail to kill them off with a host of late chances. Now Grant has actually improved a side that looked woeful. Both he and his team are fighting for their existence. I reckon the odds on all three results Sunday are about the same. West Ham have a very good record at our place, yet another draw will surprise no one, while all Whites fervently hope the week off has whetted our appetite to come out and really turn it on, and from the very START please!

Holiday fixtures can throw up some funny scores. 11 goals between Fulham and Ipswich in 1963, the 10-1 scoreline being Fulham's record win. On that same Boxing Day Blackburn were trouncing the Hammers 8-2 on their own patch. Those were the days...Don't be surprised however to see us well down the MOTD running order again. Fulham are hardly brimming with invention going for a 3rd win of the season, Hammers yet to win away.

Note of caution. The better side in the 2nd half at Ewood last week when taking a point, before that only going down 0-1 at Sunderland. I actually think our opponents Boxing Day are playing as well as at any time this season. Fulham must rise to the occasion, defeat in this one will be unacceptable on every level.

From press reports it seems Hughes has won a £10 million pound vote of confidence from the board to rebuild the side in his image come January. No more points on the board by Dec 31st and don't be surprised if that transfer budget is handed to someone else.

Later next week we'll start sifting through the transfer targets and looking for clues, in the meantime a Merry Christmas to all our followers, and my thanks for all your contributions on the blog pages to date. My great pleasure from the blog so far has been getting to know so many Fulham followers from overseas.

COYW!