watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is Carew more likely option

Started by Lighthouse, December 26, 2010, 12:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is to rescue John Carew from his Aston Villa nightmare as he tries to give his struggling Craven Cottage attack a new focal point.

Hughes believes £3million Norwegian international Carew, who has told Villa boss Gerard Houllier he wants to leave, is a more realistic option on Fulham's budget than Manchester City's Roque Santa Cruz, a player he worked with at Blackburn and at Eastlands.

The January window looks likely to be one of the quietest in years because of the financial downturn in football, with many clubs looking to do loan and swap deals

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1341604/Mark-Hughes-offer-John-Carew-Fulham-lifeline.html#ixzz19AkkFMwK

Have to say that if Carew is it, it  will be a tad disappointing
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

jarv

Agree, will be a bit disappointing but more importantly, a huge gamble. The gamble is on BZ returning to fitness and AJ returning to form. Neither is guaranteed but if it does happen then options are available. It is however, a big IF.
Also, in order to sign a few players, with 25 the limit, Fulham will need to unload some dead wood.
3 points tomorrow, definitely!

Lighthouse

Quote from: jarv on December 26, 2010, 12:33:26 AM
Agree, will be a bit disappointing but more importantly, a huge gamble. The gamble is on BZ returning to fitness and AJ returning to form. Neither is guaranteed but if it does happen then options are available. It is however, a big IF.
Also, in order to sign a few players, with 25 the limit, Fulham will need to unload some dead wood.
3 points tomorrow, definitely!

If we don't unload players on loan then dropping the dead wood from the squad will not be too hard. Stoor,Elm and Riise are out the door in some capacity I would think.

finnster01

MAF will never sign off on a Carew transfer, even if he came for free.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

RidgeRider

Carew is much more like BZ than some of the others we have been linked with but I fear, or maybe should say I agree with Finn.

GoldCoastWhite

Does Carew still have the same weasel agent representing him that he had during the last debacle ? Perhaps MAF would contemplate a deal via different parties ?

Lighthouse

Carew would be the 'cheaper option'. I don't think Al will care about passed dealings or that Carew will care for that matter. He would be guaranteed a starting line up even when BZ returns. On saying all that I hope we bring in a younger better player(s).

Hughes is quoted as saying that he feels that once we bring in players up front in January, we will see a better return for our endeavors. So one hopes he can bring in players quickly. Despite our problems Hughes seems to be saying, a few forwards will change us into a the better side.

If we can buy players up front who can take the pressure off our central midfield pair by keeping the ball for a few seconds. Allowing the midfield to support than that might be all we need this season. Hopefully will make the expected quiet January transfer window more interesting for us.

HatterDon

John Carew Carew
There's nothing that he can't do
He'll get you a goal or two
John Carew Carew

A good stopgap until BobbyZ gets back, and a good striker off the bench to change a loss to a draw or -- dare we say it -- a draw to a win once Bobby is starting.

I know he's getting on, but the only center back I've seen who can fold Carew up and stick him in his back pocket is Brede Hangeland. 
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

MJG

I hope we don't spend more than couple of million on him, injury prone, not young, deffo stop gap but I would prefer a younger player.

Tom

Quote from: MJG on December 26, 2010, 08:39:47 AM
I hope we don't spend more than couple of million on him, injury prone, not young, deffo stop gap but I would prefer a younger player.
Agree, we need to get younger.
Fulham for life!

Blingo

What has changed to improve his fitness, which if I remember correctly, he was failed on by our medical team first time around?

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Blingo on December 26, 2010, 08:59:51 AM
What has changed to improve his fitness, which if I remember correctly, he was failed on by our medical team first time around?

Playing regularly and successfully for 8 or 9 years since the failed medical

FatFreddysCat

CincyFulham1

Quote from: HatterDon on December 26, 2010, 04:27:26 AM
John Carew Carew
John Carew Carew

John Carew Carew
He likes a lap dance or two
he might even buy one for you
John Carew Carew

Heard that sung a few years back, but can't remember why or by who..whom? whatever

finnster01

Quote from: CincyFulham1 on December 26, 2010, 10:04:51 AM
John Carew Carew
John Carew Carew

John Carew Carew
John Carew Carew

Heard that sung a few years back, but can't remember why or by who..whom? whatever
That was because if I am not mistaken he was caught out in a strip club the night before a UEFA cup match against Ajax in Beeeeehhhminam. Carew blamed it as a "misunderstanding" and he had the flu and was 100% sure he wasn't going to play... O'Neil didn't think so and fined him in a big way

bigalffc

Would be disappointing, definitely only a stop gap and then bench fodder. But still better than no option at all, which is were we are.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

CincyFulham1

BalDrick

Quote from: bigalffc on December 26, 2010, 10:35:07 AM
Would be disappointing, definitely only a stop gap and then bench fodder. But still better than no option at all, which is were we are.

Can't argue with that - really uninspiring. However, if the Bentley (rather doubt it) and Taylor (more likely) rumours are true, we're going to be crossing the ball and presumably trying to score with headers. So a talll guy with a f**ked knee would seem to fit the bill.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

HatterDon

Quote from: CincyFulham1 on December 26, 2010, 10:04:51 AM
John Carew Carew
John Carew Carew

John Carew Carew
John Carew Carew

A good reason (a) to sign him and (b) for me to travel over once we do!  :yay:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

finnster01

With Carew not even on the bench for Villa against Spurs (and not injured), he is defo leaving in Jan. I don't know where, but apparently West Brom is hot in pursuit.