Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (26.12.10)

Started by White Noise, December 26, 2010, 06:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Fulham boss Mark Hughes tempted by a move for Bolton's Matt Taylor

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 12:32 AM on 26th December 2010

Fulham are interested in a move for Bolton midfielder Matt Taylor.

Manager Mark Hughes had a meeting with staff and club officials this week to outline transfer targets and Taylor is one of several names on their list.

The 28-year-old is popular at Bolton but has been in and out of the side following Martin Petrov's arrival from Manchester City.

In and out of the side: Taylor (right)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1341236/Fulham-boss-Mark-Hughes-tempted-new-year-Boltons-Matt-Taylor.html#ixzz19CMPJIvQ

White Noise

Mark Hughes to offer John Carew Fulham lifeline

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 12:27 AM on 26th December 2010

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is to rescue John Carew from his Aston Villa nightmare as he tries to give his struggling Craven Cottage attack a new focal point.

Hughes believes £3million Norwegian international Carew, who has told Villa boss Gerard Houllier he wants to leave, is a more realistic option on Fulham's budget than Manchester City's Roque Santa Cruz, a player he worked with at Blackburn and at Eastlands.

The January window looks likely to be one of the quietest in years because of the financial downturn in football, with many clubs looking to do loan and swap deals.

Happier times: But Mark Hughes may revitalise John Carew's (pictured) career

Even so, West Ham are likely to launch a £4m move for Manchester City's Wayne Bridge, while Tottenham striker Robbie Keane will be a January transfer window mover for the third year in a row, with Birmingham City in the frame to land him.

Blues boss Alex McLeish is determined to sign Keane and assurances of regular first-team football are enough to convince the striker to move back to the Midlands, where he began his career with Wolves.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1341604/Mark-Hughes-offer-John-Carew-Fulham-lifeline.html#ixzz19CMlp0Rw

White Noise

FULHAM BOSS MARK HUGHES RELISHING BIG SCRAP

26th December 2010

By Tony Stenson

FULHAM boss Mark Hughes believes the bitter experience of being sacked by Manchester City will help him through his latest crisis.

And going into today's crunch match with West Ham, he warned: "I'm staying positive. Not many teams have over-powered us this season and I know how to survive in the Premier League."

The Cottagers are in free-fall with just ten goals at home and pressure is already mounting on Sparky.

But Hughes is no fool and said: "There will always be speculation while we are in this position.

"The same goes for Avram Grant. My job is to prepare a team that gets us out of trouble. I must remain positive.

"You look at the table and we are in trouble. It's frustrating but I will remain positive.

"People say Avram Grant is under pressure but to me that is wrong."

And drawing on his bitter exit from City, he added: "My experience at Manchester City has made me strong. I know what is needed to turn things around. In my mind, I know where this club is going.

"We will be all right. A few new names in January will also make a difference."

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/169072/Fulham-boss-Mark-Hughes-No-one-s-job-is-safe-now-/

FULHAM BOSS MARK HUGHES: NO ONE'S JOB IS SAFE NOW!

26th December 2010 By Tony Stenson

STRUGGLING Fulham boss Mark Hughes says his experience at Manchester City taught him that managers are never safe in the modern game.

The past two weeks have seen Newcastle and Blackburn axe their bosses, despite both clubs being in mid-table in the Premier League.

Avram Grant is on a rocky road at West Ham, who are at Craven Cottage today, while Hughes knows he, too, must start winning soon.

Hughes was given the boot at Eastlands almost exactly a year ago when City were very much in the fight for a top-four spot – the target set by the club's hierarchy.

He said: "Listen, I got sacked when I was sixth. The logic of football sackings seems to have gone out of the game of late, and it doesn't show any signs of changing.

"Anybody at a football club could come under pressure, irrespective of how well or how badly you're deemed to be performing."

Hughes, 47, had a warning for former side Blackburn after their dismissal of Sam Allardyce (right), saying it may be unrealistic for the club to break into the top five.

"It's possible but more difficult year on year because of the amount of money that's coming into the Premier League and the number of clubs that are really investing," said Hughes.

"I got into sixth position one year at Blackburn and it was a massive effort by everybody, not just the team but the staff.

"Everyone had to pull together really strongly to make it happen and we had a great season. The key is to try to sustain that. If owners are demanding that's the norm, then it becomes even harder."

Hitting out at the sackings of Allardyce and Chris Hughton at Newcastle, he said: "It just seems to be more prevalent, that's the unfortunate thing.

"New owners come in and if you're not appointed by them then very quickly you find your position under threat, by virtue of the fact that you weren't appointed by the new ownership.

"It's frustrating and it feels unfair. I went through that. But Sam will bounce back. He's got a great reputation."

Hughes may find himself under pressure if Fulham's seven-match winless run doesn't end soon. They are only outside the bottom three on goal difference.

But Hughes is adamant he still has the confidence of his paymasters.

"I think it's a case of being at a club that understands where we are at this moment in time and the problems that we've got in terms of selection of key personnel," said Hughes, who has been without several strikers for much of the season.

He is at a loss to explain why Fulham have been unable to turn draws into wins. Arsenal have lost five league games – the same as the Cottagers – but they lie just two points behind leaders ­Manchester United, while Hughes' men are outside the drop zone only on goal ­difference.

Fulham have taken maximum points only twice in 17 matches. Their remaining ten games have all been draws, but many of these results have left Hughes ­scratching his head.

"I don't know where it's come from," Hughes added. "It's never happened to me in my career before and it's not as if we're setting up negatively or trying to get people behind the ball and taking what we can out of games.

"We've tried to be positive in every game and I think that's to our credit. I think we've improved in that respect."

Fulham's problems stem from their lack of firepower as a result of injuries to key forwards.

Hughes said: "I think once we get that ­cutting edge and threat at the top end, which we will in the new year, a lot of the good things we're doing will still be in place.

"It's been frustrating because we haven't converted winning positions into winning performances but we'll get there."

White Noise

http://www.sportingpreview.com/columns/1011059910.php

THE WILLIAM HILL COLUMN

HAMMERS AWAY DAY WOES TO CONTINUE AT FULHAM

William Hill: 25 December 2010

We have a London derby for you at lunchtime on Boxing Day and it sees two under-pressure managers looking for some much needed Christmas cheer.

Fulham are 19/20 for a home win, the draw is 11/5 and it's 16/5 that West Ham ease the pressure on their under fire boss.

Both sides find themselves in a relegation battle and if they have a bad Christmas period they could be on their way to the Championship next season. Of the two sides it's West Ham who have the toughest task to survive, they're 4/9 for the drop as they find themselves 3-points adrift at the bottom of the table.

Only one side in the last eighteen seasons who has been bottom of the table at Christmas has survived. That doesn't bode well for the Hammers.

Fulham on the other hand but are expected to survive, they're 11/4 to go down. They will need to avoid a defeat in this match or their price for the drop will tumble.

They will need to improve on their recent form, they've not won since their 2-0 home win over Wigan back in October. They've not played for two weeks though, it will be interesting to see how they react to that long break. If they do lose here the pressure will mount on Mark Hughes, he's 20/1 to be the next boss out. There has been talk that Martin Jol could be in line to take over.

With the Midday kick-off any player who over did the festive celebrations could be prone to mistakes. That makes the 14/1 that this game has the most goals of any Premier League game on Sunday look an interesting bet. Fulham are 10/1 to score the quickest goal of the day, West Ham 16/1.

West Ham have not won in their last 27 Premier League away games, which is a terrible record for any Premier League team. I don't expect that to change in this one and that could mean curtains for Avram Grant as the West Ham board look for a change. He is 8/15 to be the next manager to go.

Fulham won this fixture last season 3-2 and I expect another high-scoring encounter, it's 100/30 for over 3.5 goals and I think that looks the bet of the match. If you fancy a repeat of that 3-2 scoreline it a massive 33/1.

Looking at the OPTA Stats one thing that stands out is the fact that there have been seven red cards in the last 13 Premier League meetings between West Ham and Fulham. With the added spice of a relegation dogfight this year I think there could be more cards on show this time around.

It's 5/1 that there is a red card in the match, on the basis of recent history that bet is worth consideration. With possible slippery conditions and the early kick-off which could catch players off-guard the 13/2 that there is a card in the first 15 minutes also looks worthwhile.

Clint Dempsey scored two when Fulham last won a game and he will be the main threat again, he's 5/1 to score first and 6/1 to bag another brace.

Overall, I think home advantage will be the key factor in this. I think Fulham will win but would be looking for a bigger price than the 90 minute market. Therefore I would go for Fulham to be winning at half-time and full time at 2/1. Over 3.5 goals at 10/3 and a red card to be shown at 5/1.

White Noise

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/defiant-hughes-to-fight-on-2474300.html

Defiant Hughes to fight on

By Duncan Bech

Sunday December 26 2010

Mark Hughes has shrugged off speculation that defeat to West Ham today could spell the end of his reign as Fulham manager. Chairman Mohamed Al Fayed is reported to be losing patience with Hughes, who has presided over a disappointing start to the season.

The Cottagers sit one place above the relegation zone in the Premier League on goal difference and Hughes' odds in the sack race have shortened. But the Welshman is convinced Fulham will start climbing the table, blaming their large number of draws on the absence of striker Bobby Zamora through injury.

"I haven't spoken to the chairman this week. It hasn't been discussed with me," said Hughes, who was appointed in July. "We have no apprehension about the games ahead of us. There will be speculation, there always is. There is nothing I can do about it. I don't particularly feel under pressure. I've been through this before.

"People at the club understand the difficulties we have had this year and that the work we do is good work. At some point in the future we will turn our results into positive results and begin moving up the table.

"We aren't scoring enough goals due to the personnel missing. It's about making sure we are still working hard and doing the right things and wait for something to change. That has been the case in recent weeks where we needed a break to get our noses in front."

With West Ham anchored to the foot of the Premier League, this showdown at Craven Cottage has plenty at stake. "We will remain positive. We are looking for a positive result against West Ham as that is important for us.

Fulham rate striker Mousa Dembele as 50-50 to make his first appearance since sustaining an ankle injury five weeks ago.

- Duncan Bech

White Noise

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/553460-epl-preview-week-19

EPL Preview: Week 19

By Joe Lazar (Correspondent) on December 25, 2010 120

Fulham vs West Ham

Fulham are only one place above the drop zone and their form has been getting increasingly poor since the start of the season, granted they are suffering from some key injuries which could be blamed for the issues, however excuses are not going to get them anywhere.

Fortunately Dembele is back in full training although he is unlikely to actually be fit enough to play in this particular game. Still, seeing some players return to the Fulham side is certainly good news for the home team. Fulham have only won one of their last 14 games in the league which speaks volumes for their recent performances, however with the Hammers as their opposition they may actually have a chance at winning this match up.

The Hammers' season is nothing short of terrible at the moment, however their injury concerns are nothing short of cataclysmic. In terms of a positive note West Ham fans have the return of Rob Green to look forward to after he has recovered from a minor hip operation and there is the possibility that Berhami may be able to play despite being written off earlier this week.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2010/12/26/pressure-mark-hughes-insists-fulham-role-is-not-as-bad-as-it-was-at-manchester-city-102039-22805670/

Pressure? Mark Hughes insists Fulham role is not as bad as it was at Manchester City

Dec 26 2010

By Dean Jones, The People

MARK HUGHES refuses to fear the sack at Fulham ­after insisting: Nothing can compare to the pressure I went through at Manchester City.

Owner Mohammed Al Fayed is losing patience in his manager and is set to read the riot act if Fulham lose again this ­afternoon.

Hughes has been in the job less than five months but could drop into the relegation zone – and that would not go down well with his Egyptian chairman.

Fayed sacked Lawrie Sanchez when the club were in a similar situation in 2007, but Hughes is taking it all in his stride.

He experienced one of the most high-profile sackings in Premier League history during his time at Eastlands in 2009 under City ­owner Sheikh Mansour.

His position was under question for weeks before he was eventually given the boot two hours after a 4-3 win over Sunderland.

That has served as a key lesson and although today is a must-win for Sparky, he has put on an act of defiance in the build-up.

Hughes said: "This is not ­something I haven't been through before.

"As a manager you grow through both good and bad experiences, and I went through a situation at ­Manchester City and have come out the other side.

"When you have faced ­something before it doesn't have as much impact as it did on the first occasion.

"Certainly this is nowhere near the level of speculation as there was in my previous job.

"What I went through there was probably off the scale compared to what most other managers go through.

"I have a little bit of speculation about me now, but you have to deal with it and turn it around.

"I have no fear, and why should we? It's a situation we're not ­comfortable with but I know we have the ability to change it. I've been in the game a long time and this doesn't faze me."

Hughes has won only three of his 19 matches in charge at Craven Cottage.

He says injuries to key players, particularly striker Bobby Zamora, as part of the reason he has not been able to kick the club on from last season's incredible form.

And he is confident Fayed will give him time to shape the team further in January. Hughes added: "I haven't ­spoken to the chairman about my situation, nothing has been ­discussed with me.

"All the talk about where we are in the league is unwanted ­discussion.

"But I suppose it is ­predictable people say I'm under pressure because we haven't ­accumulated the points we deserve.

"Sometimes you can make your mark on a team quickly, ­sometimes not – due in no part to whether you can keep a settled team.

"But we are not looking to change this team fundamentally. A lot of the things I advocate were in place anyway so there are just a few tweaks needed to make us more assertive on occasions.

"It is frustrating because we have played some great football but it is not illustrated in our league position.

"So speculation about the ­direction the club is going in is tempered somewhat because we feel we are really pushing the club forward. We are compromised because of injuries in key areas.

"We might be able to add ­players in January, and I'm ­confident about where we can be soon."

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2010/12/26/avram-grant-i-m-still-west-ham-s-best-hope-for-survival-102039-22806701/

Avram Grant: I'm still West Ham's best hope for survival

Dec 26 2010

by CRouter CRouter, The People

AVRAM GRANT has assured disillusioned West Ham fans he is the best man for the job at Upton Park – and is adamant he can keep the club in the Premier League.

The Hammers are rooted to the foot of the table and reports suggest Grant has two games, starting at Fulham today, to save his job.

Sacked Newcastle boss Chris Hughton is already being talked about as a replacement – as is Sam Allardyce, although he is being wooed by mega-rich Qatar.

Despite the uncertainty surrounding his future, Grant sees no reason why he cannot turn around the club's fortunes. When asked if he was the best man for the job, Grant said: "Yes. I am the manager and I am sure I can take West Ham to the place that they deserve to be.

"I don't compare myself to others. I am sure I can do my job for this club.

"This is what is important and even though we are at the bottom, we are doing the right things."

Grant is keen to strengthen his squad in the transfer window and has already secured a deal to sign Steve Sidwell from Aston Villa.

He has also been linked with moves for Robbie Keane, Jamie O'Hara, Wayne Bridge and Jonathan Woodgate – and admits they are the kind of players he is looking to bring to the club next month.

He said: "I want players that can improve us and improve the quality of the team.

"We know it is not easy because of the financial situation – these players are very expensive."

Grant is also adamant that influential midfielder Scott Parker will not be sold next month.

He said: "The owners have made it very clear they don't want to sell him. The owners are honest guys. When they say something they mean it."

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/12/stand_and_deliver.php

Stand and Deliver

Posted by Phil Mison 1 day, 8 hours ago

The holiday season is here for the rest of us, but professional footballers face their busiest spell of the season. Train Christmas Day and an early night ahead of the Boxing Day games. Fulham's could not be bigger.

This is quite simply the 'must win' game of the season to date. Lose at home to bottom side West Ham, and by any benchmark Mark will have a hard time post-match looking for any more excuses. Once the unbeaten start came to a halt the side has been going backwards, as the form book shows, while the talk of injured players only deflects from our overall weaknesses.
By degree, all the struggling sides around us have by now also had to deal with key players sidelined. Petrov and Agbonlahor at Villa, Henry a big loss to Wolves in defence, McCarthy long term absentee for Wigan, West Ham changing their side week on week.

Having come to terms with the loss of Zamora and two spells without Dembele, Fulham have by and large been relatively lucky with injuries, and of course our on-going good discipline means we have suffered no suspensions. Imagine how dismally one-dimensional the side would have looked in the last 3 months had Dempsey picked up a knock along the way?

Observing the barren run at close quarters, the really worrying aspect for me seemed the lack of any Plan B from management, any vital signs there was a strategy in place or evidence Woy's team could adapt to a new way of playing.

I have repeatedly been dumbstruck by the use of EJ as a substitute, denying invaluable big match experience to youngsters - some of who we're led to believe are brimming with promise. Ten minutes here and there for these guys against Villa, Brum, Sunderland or Wigan would have told us far more than 20 minutes of Eddie going nowhere.

The ridiculous inability to win away from CC should have been consigned to the record books back on October 2nd at Upton Park. We take the lead, gift Hammers a soft goal, then fail to kill them off with a host of late chances. Now Grant has actually improved a side that looked woeful. Both he and his team are fighting for their existence. I reckon the odds on all three results Sunday are about the same. West Ham have a very good record at our place, yet another draw will surprise no one, while all Whites fervently hope the week off has whetted our appetite to come out and really turn it on, and from the very START please!

Holiday fixtures can throw up some funny scores. 11 goals between Fulham and Ipswich in 1963, the 10-1 scoreline being Fulham's record win. On that same Boxing Day Blackburn were trouncing the Hammers 8-2 on their own patch. Those were the days...Don't be surprised however to see us well down the MOTD running order again. Fulham are hardly brimming with invention going for a 3rd win of the season, Hammers yet to win away.

Note of caution. The better side in the 2nd half at Ewood last week when taking a point, before that only going down 0-1 at Sunderland. I actually think our opponents Boxing Day are playing as well as at any time this season. Fulham must rise to the occasion, defeat in this one will be unacceptable on every level.

From press reports it seems Hughes has won a £10 million pound vote of confidence from the board to rebuild the side in his image come January. No more points on the board by Dec 31st and don't be surprised if that transfer budget is handed to someone else.

Later next week we'll start sifting through the transfer targets and looking for clues, in the meantime a Merry Christmas to all our followers, and my thanks for all your contributions on the blog pages to date. My great pleasure from the blog so far has been getting to know so many Fulham followers from overseas.

COYW!
Twitter@fulhamphil

White Noise

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2010/12/25/fulham-v-west-ham-preview-avram-grant-mark-hughes-relegation-danny-murphy-scott-parker/

Fulham v West Ham Preview: Grant and Hughes Equally Desperate for Win

25/12/2010 3:22 AM GMT

By Mike McGrath

PREMIER LEAGUE: CRAVEN COTTAGE, SUNDAY DECEMBER 26, 2010. KICK-OFF: 1200 GMT

Both Mark Hughes and Avram Grant have been consistent in claiming their respective teams are performing better than the league table suggests but, with the turn of the year looming, the managers' words ring increasingly hollow and both desperately need a win.

The plight of Grant, the West Ham manager, is currently the greater with his side rooted at the foot of the Premier League table with a worse record than Portsmouth, the manager's former club, had a similar stage of last season.

Pompey's campaign ended in relegation and despite Grant's insistence that his current team's fortunes are about to turn, another defeat will leave them at least five points adrift of safety and increase the growing pressure on the manger.

Hughes is similarly beleaguered having so far failed to build on Fulham's success in reaching the Europa League final last season and was forced to endure a chorus of boos after the scoreless home draw with Sunderland last time out.

The Cottagers may have lost only five league games this season, the same number as Arsenal who lie second, but their inability to turn draws into victories has left them in deep trouble and they are separated from the bottom three by goal difference.

A West Ham victory will allow the Hammers to draw level on points with their opponents and shift the focus onto Hughes' position. There is growing dissatisfaction at Craven Cottage and the sense that the former Manchester City manager is living on borrowed time will grow if his side suffer a home defeat.

Form Guide: Fulham lie at the bottom of the Premier League form table having collected three points from their last six games although the performance in the defeat at Arsenal earlier this month at least offered signs of promise. West Ham's recent return has hardly been much better although last weekend's recovery to claim a point at Blackburn showed Grant's squad retain some spirit.

Key Match-up: Danny Murphy v Scott Parker: Both experienced midfielders provide the brains and inspiration for their teams and winner of this particular battle will have a major influence on the outcome of this game. Murphy's range of passing may be more impressive than Parker's but the Hammers man poses a greater goal-threat and offers more energy going forward. Both deserve better than to be in a relegation scrap.

Odds: Fulham 10/11, West Ham 16/5, draw 12/5

Tweeter Facebook FourSquare iPhone
FULHAM:
Hughes has declared himself bemused by his side's failure to record more wins although he is quick to concede Fulham's problems lie in front of goal.

Injuries haven't been kind to the Cottagers with Bobby Zamora not due back for a further two months after suffering a broken leg in September while Moussa Dembele's efforts to settle at his new club haven't been helped by a lengthy lay-off.

Throw in Andy Johnson's tentative return after a long term absence and it becomes easier to understand why Hughes' team have scored only 16 goals in 17 league games.

The manager has been linked with moves for a number of strikers including Manchester Roque Santa Cruz and Hughes concedes a new goalscorer is his main priority in the January transfer window.

"We have to look at our needs, and at the moment our needs are pretty much there for everyone to see - we need a little bit of help at the top end," said Hughes. "We will look there first and if we are able to address that we will look at other areas."

Dembele, who returned to training this week, is confident the club's frustrating run will end soon. "I've seen the last two games against Arsenal and Sunderland," Dembele told fulhamfc.com, the club's official website. "We played very well in the second half against Arsenal and we were also good against Sunderland. We attacked well and took the initiative but we didn't have the luck.

"So I think the team has been playing well but it's not a new thing this year – we've played a lot of good games but we got too many draws and it has to change now. We have to win games now.

"I think our luck will come, you can't play well and not get the points for too long. I think we're going to start picking up points; the secret is to continue playing well. There has to be a point where it will turn and things will be with us. It's always like that.

"If you start getting too disappointed it can have a negative effect, we have to keep focusing and I'm sure we're going to get the points."

Strategy: For all the talk of bad luck and missed opportunities, Hughes must conjure a system that offers a greater goal-threat while maintaining defensive cover. The manager has encouraged his side to press further up the field this season, without achieving the desired effect. Against a limited West Ham side, however, it is inconceivable Fulham will not maintain this approach.

Injury Update: Dembele is training again but this game comes too early for him. Long term casualties Zamora, Philippe Senderos and Matthew Briggs will not be back until well into the new year.

WEST HAM UNITED:
Defender Tal Ben Haim admits that a single point away from home is both a disappointment and a source of pleasure these days.

The Hammers have not won away in the league since the opening day of last season and know if that run persists they are unlikely to stay up.

Last week saw them draw 1-1 at Blackburn and a similar result at Craven Cottage would not be a disaster. But the Israel international knows it would not be a great help either.

"We are never happy with just a point," he told The Newham Recorder. "Obviously every game that we come into, we want to win - football is about winning. But away from home, it is always a difficult game so we are not very disappointed, but we are also not very happy."

The former Chelsea and Manchester City defender was confident Grant's prediction that relegation could yet be avoided could still come true. "Yes, we are very positive and we are looking forward to the games coming up," he said.

Grant's cause has not been helped by a call for him to be sacked from Tony Cottee, the former Hammers and England striker, who is now a TV pundit.

"It's the time to do it," Cottee told talkSPORT's Sports Breakfast programme. "If you're going to do it you've got to do it in conjunction with the January window.

"They're bottom of the league, they haven't won away from home for 27 games and all the West Ham fans just expect to go down at the moment. Something has got to happen, they've got to change something or other and the only change they can make really is replacing the manager."

Strategy: Grant has recalled Freddie Sears, the forward, from a loan spell at Championship outfit Scunthorpe but the 21-year-old is unlikely to start and fellow youth product Junior Stanislas must be ahead of him the pecking order anyway following his equaliser at Blackburn last weekend.

Injury Update: Goalkeeper Robert Green missed the Blackburn match because he had not recovered from an operation to remove a cyst, with Ruud Boffin making his debut. The England man, who had not missed a league game since February 2007, will reclaim his place however.

It has also been suggested that Carlton Cole, Kieron Dyer, Herita Ilunga, Danny Gabbidon and Luis Boa Morte are only able to train twice a week - a claim the club have refuted by way of an official statement on the official website.

"They train every day they are requested to without fail," it read. "The players and the club are seeking legal advice on the matter."

Forward Victor Obinna is expected to recover from the kick on the leg he suffered in training that forced him to miss the Blackburn match.

White Noise

Fulham v West Ham tickets

Barclays Premier League

Sunday 26 December

Kick-Off 12:00

Only a limited number of tickets remain for the Whites' Boxing Day clash with West Ham United.  Tickets will be available to buy on the gate.

Ticket Office Christmas Opening Times
Sunday 26th December MATCHDAY 9am open

Prices
Category A prices apply to this match.

NB: Blocks A and AL are a designated Family Area and are not available to  book online. To book, call the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234 opt 3 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

Stand (Grade A)   Block   Adult   Conc   Junior 
Riverside   S, Z   £60   £45   £30 
J Haynes   D, DL, G, GL   £55   £40   £25 
Hammersmith   All Blocks   £49   £38   £22 
Putney   Neutral   £49   £49   £49 
J Haynes   B, BL, C, CL J, JL, H, HL    £50   £38   £22 
J Haynes   A, K, AL, KL   £45   £30   £20 

Junior - under 16
Consessions: Young Person - under 21
Concessions: Senior - over 65
Disabled Supporters: 50% discount - conditions apply

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/WestHamHome.aspx#ixzz19CWJdU5p

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8224559/Fulham-manager-Mark-Hughes-and-West-Hams-Avram-Grant-face-judgement-day-in-battle-for-survival.html

Fulham manager Mark Hughes and West Ham's Avram Grant face judgement day in battle for survival

If rumours are to be believed, the losing manager at Craven Cottage on Sunday could be looking for a new job in the New Year.

By Gerry Cox 4:00PM GMT 25 Dec 2010

Whether reports of their imminent demise are greatly exaggerated or not, it is fair to say that both Avram Grant and Mark Hughes have failed to live up to expectations after taking over at West Ham and Fulham respectively during the close season.

High expectations greeted Hughes after he replaced Roy Hodgson when the hugely popular former Fulham manager left for Liverpool. And West Ham's co-owner David Sullivan promised the club's supporters in August that there would be no repeat of their battle against relegation last season under Gianfranco Zola.

Yet both clubs have struggled this season, with only two league wins each so far, and while West Ham are rock bottom, it is only goal difference that keeps Fulham out of the relegation zone.

So the outcome of the game could have serious repercussions for whoever fails to win. A draw will not be enough to lift West Ham off the foot of the table, while results elsewhere could consign Fulham to the bottom three if they fail to win.

Not surprisingly both Hughes and Grant continue to talk up their teams, claiming with some justification that they are not getting the results their performances deserve.

Related Articles

Fulham v West Ham United: match preview 24 Dec 2010
Grant running out of time to save job 14 Dec 2010
Hughes wants more time 17 Dec 2010
Big Sam's perfect match? 16 Dec 2010
'Make or break' for Grant 14 Dec 2010
Dembele's return key for Fulham 23 Dec 2010
As Hughes said on Friday: "It's frustrating because I know we have produced some great football but that isn't reflected in our league position.

"As a consequence, speculation about where the club going is tempered. We feel we are pushing the club forward, but that is compromised by injuries in key areas, and at times we haven't been able to compensate for that.

"We are trying to turn that around and are confident we can as we have players coming back and can add to it in January. We are confident over where we will be in a number of weeks."

Grant tells a similar story. "We have seen the quality in this West Ham side. Last week against Blackburn we played without so many players. We lost three players in the 24 hours before the game, two players in the last two hours and still we were the better side. If these things will not make everybody optimistic then nothing will.

"I don't think Fulham are better than us. We saw when we played Wolves away and Fulham at home, in both games we were the better team. But they are good teams as well, who play good football. I don't think there is a weak team in this league."

While Hughes can point to the absence of key players such as Bobby Zamora and Mousa Dembele through injury for much of the season, Grant has had the services of his best players, although the forthcoming transfer window may change that situation.

Scott Parker, West Ham's best player, is a target for a number of clubs and his value will be higher this January than in the summer, should relegation force a 'fire sale'.

"The owners have made it very clear they don't want to sell him. They have said so in the papers," added Grant. "For the moment nobody has offered anything. I know Scott Parker would be good for many clubs. All the top clubs think they could use him, but it is just speculation.

"We want him here and we need him, not only to stay up but also for the future of the club. Our vision is to be better in the next few years. Part of that is not to sell players like Scott Parker."

But there are doubts whether Grant will still be in charge by the time the window opens next week. Sam Allardyce may be appointed as his successor by the start of January if West Ham continue to fail, while Hughes may get more time. The former Wales manager is used to this sort of pressure, having been in charge of Manchester City when they were bought by the Abu Dhabi United group.

"This isn't something I haven't been through before," Hughes said. "Speculation at my previous job was off the scale."

But it was also accurate – he was eventually sacked just over a year ago. Whether he or Grant can keep their jobs this time remains to be seen.

White Noise

Fulham's season so far, a fan's view: 'We need to stick with the manager and ensure we keep the better players'

By Mirror Football in Mirror Football Blog

Published 23:00 25/12/10

By John Stonestreet

1) How has your club's season gone so far?

Not as well as expected. We looked hard to beat at the start, but now do not appear to win games, especially if we go behind.

2) What would be a good finish for your side in the league? Do you fancy your chances in the FA Cup?

A mid-table finish would be acceptable.

3) Where would you like to strengthen your team in the January window and will it happen? Any particular players you'd like to see at your club?

Someone up front to score regularly and more competition at full back as Salcido hasn't settled.

4) Are you bothered that England failed to land the 2018 World Cup bid?

Yes, there should be a complete overhaul of FIFA.

5) Is there one big decision your club has to take or has taken? Will it make or break your season?

We need to stick with the manager and ensure we keep the better players.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/Fulham-s-season-so-far-a-fan-s-view-We-need-to-stick-with-the-manager-and-ensure-we-keep-the-better-players-article657077.html#ixzz19CWrMomL

White Noise

Chelsea plot £10m bid for teenage wonder kid - Exclusive

Published 23:00 25/12/10

By Soriebah Kajue

Chelsea are set to enter the race for Southampton starlet Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain with a sensational £10 million bid.

The 17-year-old wonder kid has attracted interest from rival London clubs Fulham and Arsenal but Chelsea are now ready to show their hand.

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is keen to introduce a younger English core at the heart of his team to replace the ageing and influential presences of skipper John Terry and Frank Lampard.

Frank Arnesen steps down from his role as Director of Football at the end of the season but has convinced his Russian boss that Oxlade-Chamberlain is the magician he has longed for.

The 17-year-old's searing pace and skill allows him to play equally well down either flank, or just off the front man and he has already scored five goals this term.

Carlo Ancelotti has already been able to benefit from being able to call on the advanced ability of teenager Josh McEachran, who has been one of the success stories of Chelsea's much maligned youth policy.

Nathaniel Chalobah,16, is currently starring for the reserves and is tipped to make a major impact on the first-team in 2011, alongside McEachran.

Chelsea's teenaged duo were both recently highlighted by Sir Trevor Brooking as players that could be stars for England in the World Cup in 2018.

It is this new emphasis on young English talent that so appeals to Oxlade-Chamberlain and Chelsea aim to make him the spearhead of this new generation.

Fulham had apparently led the chase for the player who became the second youngest debutant in the Saints history behind Theo Walcott, aged just 16 and 199 days.

Mark Hughes has been intent on revamping his squad with youthful energy but the Cottager's bid would appear to be hampered by the lack of players they have manufactured in recent years

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Chelsea-transfer-news-Blues-plot-10m-bid-for-Arsenal-and-Fulham-target-Alex-Oxlade-Chamberlain-of-Southampton-Exclusive-article656851.html#ixzz19CXBcA9z

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/26/premier-league-half-term-report-fans

FULHAM – David Lloyd, Toofif.co.uk

Really frustrating. After an excellent early few games combining Roy Hodgson's teamwork with Mark Hughes's attacking outlook we've been undone by injuries. We've struggled since and confidence has taken a serious battering. Last season's heroics seem like ancient history.

Stars/flops? Gera and Dembélé have been bundles of energy and talent, while Hughes and Hangeland remain a brilliant centre-back partnership. But Etuhu often looks lost, Salcido is often out of position and "Joe" Kamara often can't be bothered.

Happy with the gaffer? The jury's out – but injuries and his late appointment mean he hasn't been able to put his stamp on things.

Who should he sign? A driving midfielder and a target man. So no doubt what we'll get is another keeper and a centre-back.

LATEST LINKS Liam Sercombe (Exeter, midfielder); Stephen Ireland (Villa, midfielder); Roque Santa Cruz (Man City, striker); Robbie Keane (Spurs, striker)