watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Just unlucky!

Started by VamosFFC, September 18, 2021, 05:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VamosFFC

I'm a bit frustrated with the loss, but we were just unlucky today. I thought we played well for the most part, but a combination of not having our shooting boots on today, horrible refereeing, and unluckiness. Onomah's control and turn in the box was so great...super unlucky not to get us the equalizer there.

If BDR scores in the 7th minute from Chalobah's ball then it would have been a totally different game, but that wasn't the case. I don't think we played badly at all today. We just weren't on our A game. Also, how bad was the refereeing?! How was Seri's foul a yellow? And, giving a foul on Robinson when he won the ball squarely. Also, their keeper was getting every call when he was just going to ground at any touch and the ref was happy to give it. Mitro's challenge in the first half that their keeper almost put in for an own goal. No way that's a foul.

On the brighter side, Muniz is looking really good! Really great in the air and not afraid of a challenge. Also looks like he's got a good bit of control with the ball coming out of the air. Excited to see more of him!

Overall, I'm happy with the way we're playing. You can really tell it's at a much quicker pace with an urgency to get into the box. I think we've played more successful through balls onto goal so far than all of last year. It's early days, so I'm still quite optimistic!

The Cravenette

At last, a sensible post. Can't make out if those pressing the panic button are genuine or wums.

Very frustrating game today but the eeason has only just begun and I am still enjoying watching Fulham more under Silva then I did under you know who.

COYW

FFC1987

See, you say that, but when we lose to Blackpool and Reading in 2/3 games, I'm not sure when we aren't supposed to be a bit negative? We've had a pretty harmless run with much harder to come and we find ourselves losing any gap we started to build and on same points as teams who have dropped in form ie Brom and on the same points as Coventry.

I'm not saying sack the manager,or that a wheels fallen off, but it's obvious we have a flat and it needs sorting. How a squad like this can go from losing to Blackpool as a blip, smashing Brummie to get the confidence and mentality growing, then lose to Reading at home abs finish like a team flirting around the relegation zone is beyond me. Players who have recently scored and started to show 'form' too. It's just beyond me.

Whitestone

We were easily the better team today. Not sure we were unlucky though. Missed chances cost us. It happens. We move on.

VamosFFC

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 18, 2021, 06:23:42 PM
See, you say that, but when we lose to Blackpool and Reading in 2/3 games, I'm not sure when we aren't supposed to be a bit negative? We've had a pretty harmless run with much harder to come and we find ourselves losing any gap we started to build and on same points as teams who have dropped in form ie Brom and on the same points as Coventry.

I'm not saying sack the manager,or that a wheels fallen off, but it's obvious we have a flat and it needs sorting. How a squad like this can go from losing to Blackpool as a blip, smashing Brummie to get the confidence and mentality growing, then lose to Reading at home abs finish like a team flirting around the relegation zone is beyond me. Players who have recently scored and started to show 'form' too. It's just beyond me.

I totally get what you're saying! Don't get me wrong, I'm frustrated with both losses, and I agree, we definitely shouldn't be losing to these teams. I just think it's early days still and we're still hitting our stride. We've hit some road bumps right now, but hopefully Silva sorts those out.

I also think we are missing Carvalho! I've almost forgotten about him, but we really do miss his runs and playmaking ability.

VamosFFC

Quote from: Whitestone on September 18, 2021, 06:28:39 PM
We were easily the better team today. Not sure we were unlucky though. Missed chances cost us. It happens. We move on.

Ya, I think that's more of what I was getting at with being unlucky. So many missed opportunities and some that were so close like both Mitro and BDR's shots hitting the post at the end of the first half and Josh's shot...But as you said, the missed chances cost us, we move on though!

FFC1987

Quote from: VamosFFC on September 18, 2021, 06:33:13 PM

I totally get what you're saying! Don't get me wrong, I'm frustrated with both losses, and I agree, we definitely shouldn't be losing to these teams. I just think it's early days still and we're still hitting our stride. We've hit some road bumps right now, but hopefully Silva sorts those out.

I also think we are missing Carvalho! I've almost forgotten about him, but we really do miss his runs and playmaking ability.

Yeh. I think we're on the same page. I just don't like some of the posts that seem to think this is just an isolated incident when we literally saw a similar result 2 games back. So it's a concern.

I don't like to make excuses for this team. After Blackpool, it was international games making people tired. This week it's the ref or just an unlucky one off. After Blackpool and the positive Birmingham result, that was supposed to be a continuation of winning ways with a worthy top 2 team. We didn't see that.

I agree we miss Fabio but we also have some cracking players to replace him particularly against sides like Blackpool and Reading so it's just so needless. I guess the point I'm making is, I'm worried. We're showing all the signs of an inconsistent side who will be a few points off the automatics and go into the lottery of the playoffs. Which to me, would be a failure of a season and show we, as a club haven't moved forwards.

That said, it is too early to tell, but I can only go on what I'm seeing currently. I hope Silva is the man and shows the promise that this team has.

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 18, 2021, 06:45:43 PM
Quote from: VamosFFC on September 18, 2021, 06:33:13 PM

Yeh. I think we're on the same page. I just don't like some of the posts that seem to think this is just an isolated incident when we literally saw a similar result 2 games back. So it's a concern.

I don't like to make excuses for this team. After Blackpool, it was international games making people tired. This week it's the ref or just an unlucky one off. After Blackpool and the positive Birmingham result, that was supposed to be a continuation of winning ways with a worthy top 2 team. We didn't see that.

I agree we miss Fabio but we also have some cracking players to replace him particularly against sides like Blackpool and Reading so it's just so needless. I guess the point I'm making is, I'm worried. We're showing all the signs of an inconsistent side who will be a few points off the automatics and go into the lottery of the playoffs. Which to me, would be a failure of a season and show we, as a club haven't moved forwards.

That said, it is too early to tell, but I can only go on what I'm seeing currently. I hope Silva is the man and shows the promise that this team has.

+1 exactly this. I often find myself agreeing with your posts.

SuffolkWhite

If we are top of the league then teams are going to do their best to best us, credit to Reading they rode their luck but played well enough  to get the points. Love the Championship but not today.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

grandad

25 shots, 5 on target but only 1 goal is not bad luck but terrible finishing.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Hatch007

Quote from: grandad on September 18, 2021, 07:28:44 PM
25 shots, 5 on target but only 1 goal is not bad luck but terrible finishing.
Exactly, although hitting the woodwork twice IS unlucky

Dragon

I thought we were very poor today and having missed the last two home games I was excited to come back and watch it.

Gazzininga - although not much to do other than pick the ball out of the net, looked poor kicking and controlling the ball. Not inspired by him at the present time. Feel sorry for Rodak at the moment.
Odoi - poor for the first goal, sitting off and bad positioning. Unfortunately not Tete, not sure the answer on this one.
Tosin - at fault for the second goal. Just seemed a bit lacklustre today after Wednesdays performance.
Ream - tried hard but again poor pass for the second goal and trying to force the play. Not his best game.
Robinson - after reading a few posts on here it seems most thought he was poor. I actually thought the opposite and his runs were one of our only ways we looked like making a breakthrough.
Chalobah - thought he was very poor today. Not close enough to  the play. Hopefully just not on 100% fit.
Seri - I thought he moved the ball well and was unlucky to come off. I would have taken Chalobah off first.
Wilson - not his best game, but felt reading knew he is a big player and marked him well.
Cav - lots of endeavour but no end product.
Reid - very poor. 2 chances missed badly and gave me the impression of thinking we would win the game without trying. Unlike him today.
Mitro - didn't receive the best service but didn't do enough in my opinion. Not quite at the races.

As a caveat, due to the riverside not being there I have sat in the Putney the last couple of years and must say I struggle to always watch the game from an end stand and cannot wait to get back to the riverside to watch it from the side so maybe I'm just being a bit pessimistic! Hopefully I'll try and catch some highlights.

Also and maybe most importantly reading had a great counter attack game plan and executed well. However we are going to have to get used to this. Can't wait for reed, carvalho and tete to come back.

COYW.

Woolly Mammoth

Luck is an explanation for somebody else's success.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

HV71

Quote from: VamosFFC on September 18, 2021, 05:35:37 PM
I'm a bit frustrated with the loss, but we were just unlucky today. I thought we played well for the most part, but a combination of not having our shooting boots on today, horrible refereeing, and unluckiness. Onomah's control and turn in the box was so great...super unlucky not to get us the equalizer there.

If BDR scores in the 7th minute from Chalobah's ball then it would have been a totally different game, but that wasn't the case. I don't think we played badly at all today. We just weren't on our A game. Also, how bad was the refereeing?! How was Seri's foul a yellow? And, giving a foul on Robinson when he won the ball squarely. Also, their keeper was getting every call when he was just going to ground at any touch and the ref was happy to give it. Mitro's challenge in the first half that their keeper almost put in for an own goal. No way that's a foul.

On the brighter side, Muniz is looking really good! Really great in the air and not afraid of a challenge. Also looks like he's got a good bit of control with the ball coming out of the air. Excited to see more of him!

Overall, I'm happy with the way we're playing. You can really tell it's at a much quicker pace with an urgency to get into the box. I think we've played more successful through balls onto goal so far than all of last year. It's early days, so I'm still quite optimistic!

Thank goodness for a sensible post. We could have won ( there is no such thing , other than for the most arrogant, as should have won ) . Players did not convert their chances ( of which there were many ) and as many others have said  - if one of the early chances had been converted - different game . Very frustrating and annoying but nothing worthy of some of the senseless vitriol posted this evening .    Grow some people - or perhaps engage a brain cell before posting

Riversider

For a bit of perspective some of the posters on this thread should bear in mind that we literally played Reading reserves today ,
Dress it up however you like, losing to Reading is a dreadful result.

filham

Two bad results in the last three games is not promotion form, we now need to string a few Champioship results together.
Forget the Leeds cup tie, full focus now has to be on picking up six points from the Bristol and Swansea matches.

FFC1987

Quote from: Riversider on September 18, 2021, 09:00:12 PM
For a bit of perspective some of the posters on this thread should bear in mind that we literally played Reading reserves today ,

This. I'm astounded by the apologists really. A bad result, is a bad result always. Polishing the turd isn't doing anyone any favours.

Nero

Quote from: filham on September 18, 2021, 09:24:37 PM
Two bad results in the last three games is not promotion form, we now need to string a few Champioship results together.
Forget the Leeds cup tie, full focus now has to be on picking up six points from the Bristol and Swansea matches.

We need to rest players I think that's why we lose, when 2 or 3 up we don't rest sit back we keep pushing, feel the team gets a bit leggy and that's why we are missing chances

VamosFFC

I don't think anyone on here is suggesting this wasn't a dreadful result...We lost, and it sucks! However, albeit far from a top performance from us, I don't think we played all that poorly. We just didn't put away our chances which cost us today. Yes, one could argue this is the definition of playing poorly, and sure it could be put that way, but overall I don't think it's as bad as some are making it out to be. I'm not making any excuses, I just don't think it's time to panic yet.

Now, if in the next month or two this is the pattern, then maybe it's time to give thought to why this may be.

Blawarmy

Quote from: VamosFFC on September 18, 2021, 11:04:19 PM

I don't think anyone on here is suggesting this wasn't a dreadful result...We lost, and it sucks! However, albeit far from a top performance from us, I don't think we played all that poorly. We just didn't put away our chances which cost us today. Yes, one could argue this is the definition of playing poorly, and sure it could be put that way, but overall I don't think it's as bad as some are making it out to be. I'm not making any excuses, I just don't think it's time to panic yet.

Now, if in the next month or two this is the pattern, then maybe it's time to give thought to why this may be.
We're creating chances and fluffing them but It's the defending that worries me against the poor sides. We could have played poorly and won this 1 nil. We miss Tete badly and Mawson deserved to keep his place imo and I hope Bryan was injured as he should have played today after Brum. I remember someone on here saying that Mawson and Tosin could be a potential PL partnership if he can stay fit.