watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Supporters outside the ground.

Started by The Swan, September 19, 2021, 10:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

My grandson and I got to the ground on Saturday  at five past three.
I was amazed  to see so many fans trying to get into the ground.
Is this normal as we usually get to the ground by 2.45 and never have any trouble getting into the ground.
The Swan

MikeTheCubed

Definitely not normal, was unusually congested prior to 3pm.

Whitestone

Not sure what the problem was but people around us got in late and were complaining about the queues to get in.

Fernhurst

We haven't had a "sell out" for a couple of seasons, Caught everybody out.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

EricB

It would have helped if they open all the turnstiles.  Took an age to get in. 

Ronnief

Helps if you get there a bit earlier. 092.gif

ALG01

The traffic was dreadful and we arrived about 45 minutes later than usual and for the first time ever in 60 uyears I missed KO!

I think the problem was the traffic delays caused, I presume by the closure of the district line, leading to a very great number being very late.

I have never seen anything like itr because when we play a bigger team I presume people naturally turn up early to beat a last minute rush. This was unexpected we would otherwise have been in good time.

I hope that makes sense.

The Swan

As I said in my post my grandson and I normally get to the ground at least twenty minutes before kick off.
We were held up in traffic coming down the M1.
The Swan

filham

It was terrible, I missed the first 10 minutes of the game and I expected us to be a goal or two up by then.
I owe a big thank you to the man who noticed me at the back of the long queue , he must have been conscious of my advancing years, he insisted that I took a place in front of him and his family at the head of the queue.

Weybridge White

Quite agree with ALG01 - the traffic to get in to Putney was appalling on Saturday - I was stationary for over 45 minutes and ended up having to do a U turn - so many buses due to the closure of the District Line.  My journey took me over an hour longer than normal.  It was the same for many others hence the crowds trying to get in to the ground at 3pm. 

Wolf

It was chaotic. Like others I got there as early as I could. No District line and the roads were so clogged we walked the last 2 miles (would have been still on a bus on Sunday I suspect). Arrived 14:53 and took my seat 15:13.

The turnstiles were amazingly slow.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

Carborundum

Arrived at ground at five past three, having made our way from an 11.30 kickoff for Jnr outside the M25.  Jnr still in kit and shinpads!  Didn't get to seat until 3.20 and only then because a senior steward just allowed people to pass through the turnstile without a check on tickets.  In true JH stand fashion, the people we needed to squeeze past showed customary levels of empathy:  "What time do you call this then?".  We've sat on the same row for a decade, so it's all in jest.  I hope.

All the problems noted above seem part of the cause.  But also we walked along the towpath from Hammersmith and it was clear a large participation rowing race was going on.  Those things completely mess up parking arrangements for miles around.  The trailers for the boats in particular.

Hopefully just a perfect storm of problems not to be repeated.  On arriving at my seat I was told that we had completely dominated so far and were looking good for a win.  As I said, a perfect storm....

HamsterWheel

The new way of reading the season ticket cards doesn't seem to work. Everyone I saw in front of me was having to tap their card a few times at least and there still is no visible indication that you've succeeded until the chap behind the glass motions you to progress.
Combination of that and the 4 shut turnstiles caused silly congestion across the street to the wall.
Luckily I was early enough to get in with time for a pee and a hotdog!

MartyFFC

I'm getting there at 17.00hrs today just to be on the safe side. The pandemic seems to have resulted in forgetting how to run a football club

filham

I suspect the quickest route route into the new stand next season will involve the use of a rowing boat.

Southdowns White

There was extra congestion on Saturday, maybe they couldn't get any more ticket entrance staff? The system did seem delayed and yes most people in front of me did have to tap twice for the machine to react. Same nob ends that always turn up late, turned up even later. I do think some people only come to drink beer and use the toilet though, getting into their seat and staying there for more than 10 minutes during the game seems to be really difficult for lots of people.

Twig

Quote from: filham on September 21, 2021, 01:29:34 PM
I suspect the quickest route route into the new stand next season will involve the use of a rowing boat.

Motor boat will be even quicker! I'll use my twin engined speed boat to spin down from my riverside pad in Hampton Court darling.