watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Well played Fulham

Started by Somerset Fulham, September 21, 2021, 10:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Somerset Fulham

It wasn't to be, but I don't think anybody put a foot wrong until the penalties.

Special mentions to Mawson and Hector for me, great performances.

sonnyjim

Thought Rodak looked good today as well.

RaySmith

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on September 21, 2021, 10:02:10 PM
It wasn't to be, but I don't think anybody put a foot wrong until the penalties.

0001.jpeg

Can't really blame players who miss pens, especially under  that kind of pressure. Pen shoot outs are a bit of a  lottery, and an unsatisfactory way to resolve a game.

Arthur

Agre

Agree. Mawson, in particular, was excellent - not just his defending, but with the ball at his feet. He couldn't have staked a stronger claim to be included in the starting XI on Saturday than his performance tonight.

Arthur

Quote from: RaySmith on September 21, 2021, 10:06:14 PM
Can't really blame players who miss pens, especially under  that kind of pressure. Pen shoot outs are a bit of a  lottery, and an unsatisfactory way to resolve a game.

I don't blame the players who missed, but taking a penalty under pressure is still a challenge and a skill.

I can't help but wonder, however, whether Mawson slipped up. It looked to me as if he won both coin tosses and yet invited Leeds to take the first kick. Having to take a match-saving penalty only adds to the pressure.

MisfitKid

Hector was a nice surprise.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

RaySmith

Quote from: Arthur on September 21, 2021, 10:21:54 PM
Quote from: RaySmith on September 21, 2021, 10:06:14 PM

I don't blame the players who missed, but taking a penalty under pressure is still a challenge and a skill.

I can't help but wonder, however, whether Mawson slipped up. It looked to me as if he won both coin tosses and yet invited Leeds to take the first kick. Having to take a match-saving penalty only adds to the pressure.

But it's the mental aspect.
I'm sure all pro's can take good pens in training, but a shoot out is even more pressure than a normal game pen.

Like other posters, i did wonder why Muniz, a striker was so low down the list - he obviously didn't fancy it, and felt the pressure, and his pen was awful,  though thought he had a good game,  pity his headers were off target, but he did well to keep getting on the end of them.

Robbie

Good effort. Good to be out of this cup.

General

Penalties are a nightmare and a toss up on the night.

A shame but we move on.

That said though, I'm conscious  we've technically lost three of our last four, so something to be aware of as could bode poorly.

Woolly Mammoth

I thought we did well under the circumstances, you cannot dominate for 90 mins, both teams were always going to have good spells during the game. They failed to beat us in open play, and positive games by many Fulham players, including Rodak, Mawson, Hector, Onomah to name but a few.
Shame we couldn't edge the shootout to get us in the last 16, nevertheless it certainly helped that some players showed they are worth a first team spot if given the chance. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Simply91

Mawson yes. Personally I thought Hector was poor

KJS

Quote from: General on September 21, 2021, 10:45:27 PM

A shame but we move on.

That said though, I'm conscious  we've technically lost three of our last four, so something to be aware of as could bode poorly.

We didn't lose lat night over 90 min it was a draw

SP

Gave a good account of ourselves.  I'd assumed it was Leeds second eleven but someone mentioned 7 of their team had played their last game at Newcastle?

ALG01

Our 2nd 11 were brilliant against a very strong leeds team.

rodak, and mawson were stand out performers for me and both look like they should be in the first team.

BDR looked brilliant when he came on.

Reed was an error of judgement by silva. he looked in a bad way for while before being taken off. even the ref asked him if he was ok before the change fiinally came.

Knockers was the big let down. he tried veruy hard but lost possesion way to cheaply.

However, all in all a very good performance.

General

Quote from: KJS on September 22, 2021, 03:35:15 PM
Quote from: General on September 21, 2021, 10:45:27 PM

A shame but we move on.

We didn't lose lat night over 90 min it was a draw

I mean, we were knocked out of the cup because of the result whilst another team progressed (the aim of cup football). Whilst I appreciate you're right on the technical term of matches being only won or lost or draw in normal time and penalties don't count.. they obviously do and we didn't get through, so it is very much a defeat even if you want to dress it up.

General

Quote from: ALG01 on September 23, 2021, 12:35:02 PM

rodak, and mawson were stand out performers for me and both look like they should be in the first team.

Reed was an error of judgement by silva. he looked in a bad way for while before being taken off. even the ref asked him if he was ok before the change fiinally came.

Knockers was the big let down. he tried veruy hard but lost possesion way to cheaply.

Two things..

Firstly,  where does your name come from? Are you a crypto enthusiast? There's one called Algorand

Secondly - how many of Leeds starting team were first team starters? I got the impression there were quite a lot of reserves and youth playing and on the bench for them.

Obviously noticed kalvin Phillips, meslier, rodrygo (is he a starter for them?), klich- but that's it from my admittedly vague knowledge.

Somerset Fulham

Seven of the side that played Newcastle started the game, and there is no way that game can be considered a defeat.

General

Quote from: General on September 23, 2021, 05:34:35 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on September 23, 2021, 12:35:02 PM

Two things..

Firstly,  where does your name come from? Are you a crypto enthusiast? There's one called Algorand

Secondly - how many of Leeds starting team were first team starters? I got the impression there were quite a lot of reserves and youth playing and on the bench for them.

Obviously noticed kalvin Phillips, meslier, rodrygo (is he a starter for them?), klich- but that's it from my admittedly vague knowledge.

Stuart dallas and Daniel James added too - are they starters though?

Somerset Fulham

One just cost £30 million and the other is vice captain, I think.  So starters.

SP

Daniel James is a player I rate very highly from what I've seen of him but he was virtually anonymous.