watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The most pointless chant.

Started by Andy S, September 22, 2021, 12:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ludlow Richard

"5-0 and you still don't sing" is a particular pet hate. And I'm not a great fan of "we pay your benefits", especially as we pay the benefits of those who sing it.

gang

Quote from: bog on September 22, 2021, 01:36:03 PM
Perhaps the chant should be 'Stand up if you want to get on the nerves of those sat behind you.'

092.gif

+1

gang

Quote from: bobbo on September 22, 2021, 02:19:10 PM
Gang , im taking you to the next away game I go to if you can make em sit .

I'll buy the drinks you pay my fare.

Baszab

"Jimmy Savile - he's one of your own"

Last nite - made me laugh

Ruislip White

Quote from: Andy S on September 22, 2021, 12:20:38 PM
The most pointless chant ever has to be "stand up if you love Fulham" we would not have paid good money for our seat if we didn't support the club. So excuse me but I don't feel the need to stand up for that pointless chant
Agree.  It's embarrassing when middle aged blokes chant this then look around with disappointment at those not standing and singing it too.  I'm not singing it because I'm not 6 years old any more...

Luka

The "we are not Barcelona" and "Al Fayed's the owner" chant.
Now thats pointless .

Ruislip White

The other one is

..,,We are Fulham, f### Chelsea.
Really? Because Chelsea are so are so bothered about us.

ALG01

Quote from: Pieter A'dam on September 22, 2021, 12:28:14 PM
Another one for this list is the Leeds' song last night "European champions". What a joke 😀.

what was that about? they never were european champions.

_Putney_

Is this really a discussion about what songs have value and what are pointless?

MartyFFC

I think you'll find almost all football chants are pointless and often a bit silly; not sure they need to be justified/legitimised. I think the fact this thread even exists, goes some way to explaining the lack of atmosphere at the Cottage.....

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 22, 2021, 12:24:14 PM
Personally I wouldn't stand for it, and I certainly wouldn't take it sitting down either.
Sounds as if you are crawling again .

Jurassic Parker

Quote from: MartyFFC on September 22, 2021, 06:34:53 PM
I think you'll find almost all football chants are pointless and often a bit silly; not sure they need to be justified/legitimised. I think the fact this thread even exists, goes some way to explaining the lack of atmosphere at the Cottage.....

This thread being created the same evening a thread was created regarding the lack of atmosphere in the Leeds game says it all.

If you dont want to sing and join in, dont, but going as far as to call chants pointless? How much of a buzz kill can you be. I remember being 11 years old and those 'pointless' chants were some of the easiest for me to join in to

SG

Quote from: Fulham 442 on September 22, 2021, 12:49:22 PM
Quote from: Andy S on September 22, 2021, 12:38:51 PM
Was it the Juventus chant that went up "stand up if you still believe" that had the whole ground singing. That got the fans and the players all uniting as one
Yes it was and what a night that was.  The best game I have ever been to at the Cottage and I doubt it will ever be surpassed.  I am quite sure we gave the players a massive boost too.  I will never forget watching from the Hammy End as Clint's goal sailed over their keeper and into the back of the net and the whole ground erupted...

I actually think it was Hamburg game but both nights will live with me forever

sonnyjim

There's nothing worse than being told to sit down at a football match. If the people in front of me stand up, I'm standing up to see the goal. I ain't gonna be sitting down for the entire match. That's why the atmosphere is so poor at home games. People expect to just sit down and not even stand up or celebrate when we score a goal, it ruins it for me.

Fulham 442

Quote from: SG on September 22, 2021, 07:36:53 PM
Quote from: Fulham 442 on September 22, 2021, 12:49:22 PM
Quote from: Andy S on September 22, 2021, 12:38:51 PM
Was it the Juventus chant that went up "stand up if you still believe" that had the whole ground singing. That got the fans and the players all uniting as one
Yes it was and what a night that was.  The best game I have ever been to at the Cottage and I doubt it will ever be surpassed.  I am quite sure we gave the players a massive boost too.  I will never forget watching from the Hammy End as Clint's goal sailed over their keeper and into the back of the net and the whole ground erupted...

I actually think it was Hamburg game but both nights will live with me forever
I thought it was the Juventus game but I believe you're right SG. Happily, like you, I was there for both!

SP

Quote from: Jurassic Parker on September 22, 2021, 07:22:40 PM
Quote from: MartyFFC on September 22, 2021, 06:34:53 PM

This thread being created the same evening a thread was created regarding the lack of atmosphere in the Leeds game says it all.

If you dont want to sing and join in, dont, but going as far as to call chants pointless? How much of a buzz kill can you be. I remember being 11 years old and those 'pointless' chants were some of the easiest for me to join in to

Bang on JP.  Whatever next, roller coaster style restraints on every seat to ensure people remain seated?

Twig

Look we've had this debate soooo many times. I'm all for safe standing as it gives choice to those who want to stand without inconveniencing those who prefer to stay seated. It will come, but until then those who stand and stick up a finger at fellow supporters whose view they block (and don't bloody care) are just wrong, just plain wrong.

Ruislip White

Quote from: Twig on September 22, 2021, 08:52:35 PM
Look we've had this debate soooo many times. I'm all for safe standing as it gives choice to those who want to stand without inconveniencing those who prefer to stay seated. It will come, but until then those who stand and stick up a finger at fellow supporters whose view they block (and don't bloody care) are just wrong, just plain wrong.
Yep - it's plain selfish.  Basically saying  'Children, older folks, those less able to stands- who cares as long I can't stand up'

MartyFFC

First it was expressing outrage at fans booing, then fans swearing; and now the legitimacy of chants is being questioned. Essentially a portion of our fan base doesn't like booing, swearing, standing or singing. Literally should get themselves down Shaftesbury Avenue and take in a show instead

Woolly Mammoth

Anybody who stands up in front of people who are sitting in seats blocking their view is an ignoramus.
That is why safe standing has to be introduced at football grounds without having to wear a hi vis.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.