watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

recent record is poor

Started by ALG01, September 28, 2021, 03:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALG01

good start but 4 points from the last four league games is very poor for a team with aspirations.
We have conceeded in all four and seem to be missing an 18 year old ( ithink that is Carv's age) massively

We have lost a little sparkle and cutting edge and whilst i love ream and am not blaming him for anything, Mawson seems to be the better palyer and deserves his chance.

colinwhite

4 points may not be a good total, but we have not been poor in my opinion. We have been unlucky and wasteful ,but not poor apart from the Blackpool game.

Jim©

Quote from: colinwhite on September 28, 2021, 07:00:44 PM
4 points may not be a good total, but we have not been poor in my opinion. We have been unlucky and wasteful ,but not poor apart from the Blackpool game.
Completely agree with you Colin.

General

Lost two (three if you include getting knocked out of cup) won one and drawn one isn't very good given our aspirations,  the teams we played and our squad

davew

Quote from: Jim© on September 28, 2021, 07:09:56 PM
Completely agree with you Colin.
Well sorry to disagree, at the end of the day I would have expected us to get 10 points not 4. Wasteful yes = poor, just my opinion!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Jim©

Well, our second team (11 changes) deserved to win the game v Leeds who played 7 first teamers (from their previous match). We have made 70 chances in those games you think we were poor in. Wasteful yes, poor? No way. Disappointing points return but not down to the manner we've played, just not going in for us, we've hit the woodwork 5 times in 2 games!

AJW48361

I feel there are fans who can't wait for us to fall on our arse.

filham

We have played some good football in the last four matches but have not been scoring and it is goals that count. Essential we correct this trend tomorrow night at the Cottage. Nothing less than two goals will be acceptable.

ALG01

I said 4 points is poor from 4 games not that we didn't play well.
Personally i think we have lost a bit of magic and are too predictable and that is carv. We now really miss tom c as well, players that do something different and upset defences.

FFC1987

'Recent record is poor' - How dare you say we didn't play well. Is that really the level we'll go to now to polish that turd return of points?

Some have very likely got a rude awakening coming if they still think we're going to p*ss the league.

joef

Need a convincing win to start us believing again. We have lost our ruthless edge just as others have found theirs. A confident win and things start to look different, but I agree that the early season mojo has disappeared.

Twig

Quote from: filham on September 28, 2021, 08:29:32 PM
We have played some good football in the last four matches but have not been scoring and it is goals that count. Essential we correct this trend tomorrow night at the Cottage. Nothing less than two goals will be acceptable.

Actually I think we have only played some good football in patches. At times our pace has dropped off and we have almost reverted to the slow build ups of the Parker era. When we move the ball quickly and get forward in numbers we are a serious threat but the slow, slow, quick, slow type build ups are far too predictable.
I can accept that we've been a bit unlucky with hitting the bar and near misses but please let's keep the pace and commitment up.

colinwhite

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 28, 2021, 09:52:11 PM
'Recent record is poor' - How dare you say we didn't play well. Is that really the level we'll go to now to polish that turd return of points?

Some have very likely got a rude awakening coming if they still think we're going to p*ss the league.

Some people just love having a go at the team and seem to think that it needs pointing out that that 4 points in our last four league is not good enough. Well thats pretty obvious and there for all to see. But this only tells part of the story.
The same people stating that its only points that matter now were the ones complaining about poor 1-0 lucky wins and poor performances under Parker. As I said some posters just love finding something to complain about.  I have never thought we would stroll this league ,but I do think we still have a fantastic chance of finishing in the top 2 and that view is not based on the number of points that we have collected, but on the level of performances that we have put in.

RaySmith

Quote from: colinwhite on September 29, 2021, 05:46:48 AM

Some people just love having a go at the team and seem to think that it needs pointing out that that 4 points in our last four league is not good enough. Well thats pretty obvious and there for all to see. But this only tells part of the story.
The same people stating that its only points that matter now were the ones complaining about poor 1-0 lucky wins and poor performances under Parker. As I said some posters just love finding something to complain about.  I have never thought we would stroll this league ,but I do think we still have a fantastic chance of finishing in the top 2 and that view is not based on the number of points that we have collected, but on the level of performances that we have put in.

0001.jpeg

toshes mate

I have seen nothing wrong in our performances apart from failing to score more goals than our opponents.  Our attacking play by far outstrips the lacklustre performances of recent seasons even at their very best.  Goals are always random occurences and a terrific shot followed by a terrific save doesn't make it to the record books and yet a miskick can find its way into the net off a divot and be recorded as a crucial goal.  Sometimes it all comes together and sometimes it doesn't, but football doesn't contain certainties even for the very best there are.  As long as players keep trying to score then they eventually will get goals.

I hope the OP is not suggesting we had a season's worth of good fortune in our opening salvo and it is all downhill from there, because that is what it feels like to me.   

HV71

Quote from: toshes mate on September 29, 2021, 09:45:23 AM
I have seen nothing wrong in our performances apart from failing to score more goals than our opponents.  Our attacking play by far outstrips the lacklustre performances of recent seasons even at their very best.  Goals are always random occurences and a terrific shot followed by a terrific save doesn't make it to the record books and yet a miskick can find its way into the net off a divot and be recorded as a crucial goal.  Sometimes it all comes together and sometimes it doesn't, but football doesn't contain certainties even for the very best there are.  As long as players keep trying to score then they eventually will get goals.

Along with Colin White's this is a good post

FFC1987

That wasn't the point though was it. If it's obviously poor, why are people still trying to justify it? And in trying to do so, moving the goalposts. For what its worth, I didn't like Parker, but one of the things he did manage to do, in the championship, was hold onto leads. Something we struggle with at times.

As for people just like having a go, well, I'm sorry pointing out poor outcomes in games troubles your feelings, but we started so well, and have tailed off in the last 4 after luke warm fixtures albeit with ok performances. We currently sit at least 1 point behind automatics on the back of Reading, Blackpool, Birmingham and Birstol having worked hard to create a marginal gap. That's poor and deserves full criticism even if you feel we played well. The finishing has been dire at times. Inconsistent overall. Finishing is also a key component of the game and its been seriously lacking as you well know.

For what its worth, I don't think we'll finish top 2. That's not to say we don't have a great chance. I just see levels of inconsistency enough to suggest it'll be an entertaining, albeit disappointing season where p*ssing away points to mediocre teams will inevitably catch up with us. Slowly, as these poor results catch up, it means we need to win games against the likes of Bournemouth and Brom rather than drawing and protecting points and its at those stages I think we could possibly also fall short. Its certainly not over, but we can't start chasing a points gap by October after the start we've had. It verges on unprofessional for what this squad should/could achieve. Like with the Parker season, I was disappointed we ended in the playoffs and for me, its abject failure if we do this time. No excuses, no failsafe success from the playoffs. Even if we're promoted via playoffs, the seasons a disappointment for me.

ALG01

I apologise without reservation for upsetting your intellect in that i dared to point out the obvious.
It just seemed to me, with this being a discussion forum and all, this aspect had not been touched on in this way and  it therfore might be an interesting starter to tempt interesting opinions on how we started so well but have subsequently faltered in terms of results.

I do happen to agree that perfomance is key and if you focus on playing well and creating good quality chances then sooner or later things will start to happen in a positive way. However, I think the magic did reduce when Carv got injured, he is a special talent and especially with Tom being unavailable, he brings that bit of imagination and creativity that the others do not posses in the team at the moment.

colinwhite

Quote from: ALG01 on September 29, 2021, 01:50:01 PM

I apologise without reservation for upsetting your intellect in that i dared to point out the obvious.
It just seemed to me, with this being a discussion forum and all, this aspect had not been touched on in this way and  it therfore might be an interesting starter to tempt interesting opinions on how we started so well but have subsequently faltered in terms of results.

I do happen to agree that perfomance is key and if you focus on playing well and creating good quality chances then sooner or later things will start to happen in a positive way. However, I think the magic did reduce when Carv got injured, he is a special talent and especially with Tom being unavailable, he brings that bit of imagination and creativity that the others do not posses in the team at the moment.

I agree with this post and my comments were not speciically directed at you.Win the next 2 games and the discussion may look abit premature ,dont you think ? No offense meant from me.