https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Pee Wee Ellis RIP

Started by ALG01, September 26, 2021, 12:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALG01

a true giant and one of the greats.
for those that do know he needs no introdyuction but for those that don't

he was a sax player with James brown but was band leader and composser. he wrote cold sweat
he went on to play with van morrison and george clinton

the man's talent was imense and a year or so before lockdown we saw him at the hideaway in streatham (I commend the place to you). the evening was one of the very best concerts I have ever seen with the quality of the musicians unbeliveable and the easy funky style breathtaking. he performed with a british band and Sweet Charles Sherrell.

Pee Wee will be missed.

https://www.hideawaylive.co.uk/Pee-wee-ellis-cold-sweat-saturday-11th-november-2017

ALG01

No takers or comments?

Shame, the man was way more influential and talented than many bigger names and much vaunted acts.

Woolly Mammoth

Sorry I have never heard of him, but I have led a sheltered life.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

I have heard of him, and remember seeing his name a lot on musician listings on others' records, like Van Morrison, and in reviews, but didn't know that much about him, and didn't read anywhere of his death.

It was good that you managed to see him  shortly before he died. I had tickets to see the great country/folk artist John Prine, and then the concert was put back through his illness, and then  a couple of weeks before the concert  it was cancelled due to his death from Covid.

I used to know Streatham pretty well, being brought up in Tulse Hill, and going to Tulse Hill school.  I've just discovered a Facebook account 'i survived Tulse Hill School'!
But I haven't lived in the area for years, and don't know the venue where you saw Pee Wee.

Musician the late Smiley Culture went to Tulse Hill School,, as did reggae poet Linton Kwesi Johnson, who was  quite  prominently featured in the recent  Small Axe series on BBC - i think you referred to this series at Christmas when you posted  a vid on the  Music thread, the episode  about the blues party? Or am I getting you mixed up with another poster?

These vids give an excellent view of Pee Wee's brilliance, and thanks  to you and White JC for posting.

RIP

ALG01

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 27, 2021, 01:16:01 AM
Sorry I have never heard of him, but I have led a sheltered life.

I realised he was not well known but thought the post would encourage the lovers of soul/jazz/bluess/R&B

The man was fundamental in shapping music as he was part of a small group that created 'proper funk' with a roll and an edge to it that so many try to recreate but can't come close. having so recently seen him made itr rater more poigniant and when we went to the Hideaway in streatham (brilliant place) I was astonished that average age was way lower than i expected.

I often wonder how many other brilliantr artists have passed me by that I wouold have enjoyed.