more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff - 04/10/21...

Started by WhiteJC, October 04, 2021, 08:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fragile Fulham lacked fight

Our Saturday lunchtime date with Coventry turned horribly sour in the second half. Perhaps the most alarming element of Fulham's second half collapse was the fact that the visitors seemed to lack the stomach for the fight. We need to start being honest with ourselves. The Championship is one of the toughest divisions in the world to get out of. You have to wonder whether the idea that this side would walk the league, amassing a hundred-plus points, had percolated through to the players. It simply isn't going to happen – but the team looked like they believed they only needed to turn up to win.

As the old proverb goes, hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. It seems inconceivable that Marco Silva and his backroom stuff hadn't prepared meticulously for Coventry. Mark Robins' men might have exceeded all the early season expectations with a fine start – they are a serious proposition on their own patch, as evidenced by their 100% record back at their own ground, and have a forward line to rival any in the league. Silva savaged his players' second half showing afterwards – nothing went right from when Ream and Onomah got in each other's way after Gazzaniga's wayward pass, a mistake that highlighted both an absence of communication and a lack of awareness.

It would be easy to blame the second half collapse on the dreadful penalty decision but, although the officials at this level consistently fall below an acceptable standard, Silva was right to say it wasn't the reason why Fulham slumped so badly. Robinson was unfortunate to be penalised for what was a shocking day, but Fulham's defence had already been lackadaisical in the penalty area. It took a terrific saving tackle from Harrison Reed to prevent the peerless Callum O'Hare from sauntering through a terribly porous back line, which saw Matty Godden the chance to throw himself down. Denis Odoi endured an awful afternoon, giving away countless free kicks in dangerous positions, and consistently finding himself in the wrong position when sky blue shirts ran at him.

You could have been forgiven for thinking Fulham felt the job was done after the first 45 minutes. We simply weren't awake. There was a distinct lack of closing down, with home players allowed to pop off shots from inside the area – Ian Maatsen's strike was a perfect example of this. Odoi didn't get to him quickly enough and suddenly the game had got away from us. The frustration was evident both in the stands and on the pitch but everyone in black has to take a long hard look at themselves. I'm confused as to how some starters remain fixtures in the team. Fulham offered painfully little going forward after the break. Wilson was largely anonymous again, although I'm confused why he isn't on the free-kicks.

I could spent a long time detailing the failings of a number of players, but the painful truth is most of Silva's starting line up simply wasn't good enough. This was our worst showing since the Scott Parker days – forget the defeats by Blackpool and Reading – having got ourselves into a winning position, collapsing like that was utterly unforgiveable.

Gazzaniga: I'm not as down on him as some elements of the fanbase, but there comes a time when you have to realise, it isn't working. Rodak is proven at this level and was starting for Slovakia as they qualified for Euro 2020. A change in goal is long past necessary. 1

Odoi: There still seems to be a sense amongst some of the fanbase the Belgian is beyond criticism after his service to the club. He looks woefully short of the defensive standard required at right back. When wide players are running at him, he appears completely out of his depth. The decision not to recruit a new man in this position after Tete's injury is proving more and more costly. 2

Robinson: The American shouldn't have started for me if Bryan was fit enough to be on the break. He gave Gavin Ward a decision to make by leaving his leg out for Godden to go to ground and comprehensively lost the battle with Dabo on the Coventry right. Too many of his passes went astray and, despite being a sublime athlete, he makes too many elementary mistakes. 2

Mawson: I actually felt sorry for the big man. He was wanted eighteen months for a league start and was drafted into to this mess. Comfortably Fulham's best defender – although that is really damning him with feint praise – and he dealt with most of the balls into the box. 5

Ream: That dreadful mistake right at the start of the second half seemed to see him go to pieces. You just had a sense he wasn't going to recover from the stumble and heavy touch after Gazzaniga's poor pass, although Onomah's part in this comedy of errors shouldn't be forgotten about. I expected more leadership and communication from one of Fulham's most experienced players. 3

Reed: I felt Harrison was lacking in a lot of departments this afternoon and was getting frustrated watching him by the end. 4

Onomah: Certainly didn't take his chance after Silva's strange decision to leave Seri out. Typified our lack of intensity in a dozy performance that culminated in his crazy blocking off of Ream for Coventry's equaliser. 3

Decordova-Reid: Was he even out there? Missing in action. 4

Kebano: The Congolese winger was far from our worst performer, but he wasn't good either. First touch had gone to pieces long before he was hauled off and you can see why a succession of managers have seen fit to only use him as an impact sub. 5

Wilson: Seems to be struggling now that sides are taking steps to limit his effectiveness. Coventry cleared put two men on him this afternoon and that dramatically reduced the Welshman's impact. He might be better suited to filling the number ten role in Carvalho's absence. 3

Mitrovic: Looked to have the beating of McFadzean in the first half – not just in the air, but in the way he was dropping deep to link up the play effectively. Hardly saw any of the ball after the break but you could totally understand his frustration after he was blocked off by Clarke-Salter as he tried to burst through the Coventry defence, even if his boiling rage resulted in an unnecessary booking. 5

Moving forward, there could be a case for changing the system slightly. A lot of Championship sides have successfully deployed a back three this season and, with Mawson's return to the side, there is the potential to play three centre halves. Tosin was sorely missed today – and simply can't be dropped or rotated again. Bryan has to start on the left and operating as a wing back might reduce defensive deficiencies. Decordova-Reid did well at right wing back last season and might be worth a try until Tete is fully fit. Rodrigo Muniz probably deserves a start after a number of bright cameos off the bench – I'd like to see him partnered with Mitrovic up top from the start against QPR. Suddenly, the derby looks like a massive game after the international break.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/10/fragile-fulham-lacked-fight/

WhiteJC

City U23s left frustrated after PL2 defeat to Fulham

Norwich City Under-23s felt they'd let themselves down when falling to a 2-0 defeat to Fulham in King's Lynn on Friday night, slipping to seventh in the Division Two table.

A strong start to the season was followed by a 5-2 defeat to West Brom at the Walks last Monday and the young Cottagers moved top of the second tier of Premier League Two with their win.

Tom Dickson-Peters had gone close when he hit the post in the first half but a Josh Giurgi own goal in the 73rd minute was followed by the visitors adding a second in the 90th minute.

"I think it was a very even game," U23s coach Alan Neilson told City's website. "I said in the dressing room afterwards that we should have been coming off with it at 0-0.

"I just don't think we battled and scrapped enough really. We started off well again. We hit the post, which I thought was in from TDP (Tom Dickson-Peters) but it wasn't and then there were not too many really clear-cut chances for either side in the first half.

"Second half we came out and it was very even, but they pushed us back. We said at half-time we have just got to concentrate and if it finishes 0-0, it finishes 0-0 but we went a bit back to front. We didn't dominate the ball.

"We say as a team if we get the ball, and we need a rest, then we rest with the ball, but as the game went on they pressed us and we didn't really keep the ball and in the very key moments the final pass wasn't good enough."

Next up is a game at Reading in the Premier League Cup group stages on Monday, October 11, a 1pm kick-off at the Championship club's Select Car Leasing Stadium.

Dickson-Peters added: "If you had seen how we moved the ball in previous games then you know we are much better than that.

"I think the first half the game was pretty tight. I think second half they (Fulham) edged it with a set-piece and I think they deserved the win.

"Hopefully we can learn from that during the international break and work hard and come back ready for Reading away."

City U23s (4-3-1-2): Berry; Giurgi, Tomkinson (C), Warner, Earley (Shipley 46); Clarke (Hutchinson 89), Khumbeni (Brooke 67), Springett; Kamara; Rowe, Dickson-Peters. Unused sub: Rose (GK)

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/ncfc-u23s-frustrated-after-pl2-defeat-to-fulham-8382558

WhiteJC

Zambo Anguissa not thinking about the future

Cameroonian midfielder Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa says he is not thinking about his future and is just enjoying his football at new club Napoli.

The 25-year-old joined the Serie A club on loan from Fulham at the start of the current season and has quickly established himself as a regular under manager Luciano Spalletti.

The Neapolitans have an option to purchase the player outright at the end of the loan contract in June of next year, but the Indomitable Lions midfielder insists he is not thinking that far ahead.

"I immediately realised that Naples would be the right choice for me because I immediately felt everyone's trust, when the proposal arrived, I did not think twice to accept," he told Radio Kiss Kiss, as quoted by Tribal Football.

"At this moment, I don't think about the contract. I'm interested in playing: time will tell if I deserve to move here permanently.

"I am very happy to be here in Naples. We will see what happens, but now I think of the field and give my best every time I play."

Zambo Anguissa will hope to continue his run in the Napoli starting XI when they face Fiorentina at Stadio Artemio Franchi later today (Sunday) in a Serie A clash.

https://africanfootball.com///africanfootball.com/news/789304/Zambo-Anguissa-not-thinking-about-the-future

WhiteJC

The Championship stars that Newcastle United should target in January - including Fulham, Bournemouth and Manchester United players
Recruiting in January is notoriously difficult for clubs but could the Championship be the route to success in the transfer market for Newcastle?

After a disappointing summer where just one senior signing was complete, will Newcastle look to strengthen in January?

If they choose to do that, they may want to look at the success that former players Ivan Toney and Adam Armtsrong are currently enjoying in the top-flight.

Both Toney and Armstrong came through the football league to earn their places in the Premier League as the pair particularly excelled last season in the Championship.

The Championship has proven to be a breeding ground for great young prospects, as well as a place where players can rediscover form.

Therefore, as we creep slowly towards the January window, we have listed 14 of the very best Championship players that we believe Newcastle United should target in order to improve their squad.

1. Sander Berge (Sheffield United)

The Norwegian has previously been linked with a move to St James's Park with reports suggesting Newcastle were 'monitoring' Berge's condition as he recovers from an injury which kept him out of the end of last campaign. Berge is a centre-midfielder and would add legs to the United midfield.

2. Ben Brereton-Diaz (Blackburn Rovers)

Following his call-up to represent Chile at the Copa America in the summer, Brereton-Diaz has come back to domestic football a changed man having netted ten goals already this season - matched by only Aleksandar Mitrovic.

3. Antonee Robinson (Fulham)

One of the most impressive performers for Fulham during their relegation campaign last year was their American left-back. With Matt Ritchie ageing, and Jamal Lewis yet to nail-down a starting spot, Newcastle could do a lot worse than take a punt on Robinson.

4. David Brooks (Bournemouth)

Could Brooks follow in the footsteps of Callum Wilson and Ryan Fraser in making the switch from the south-coast to the north east?

5. John Swift (Reading)

The Royals sit comfortably in mid-table, however, with a threat of a points deduction looming, they could be forced to sell off some of their biggest assets, and midfielder Swift is certainly showing why he was once a huge prospect in the Chelsea academy.

6. Louie Sibley (Derby County)

Another side struggling with off-field problems are Derby County. The Rams entered administration last-week and if they are made to offload players, Sibley is certainly one Newcastle should be looking at.

7. Chris Mepham (Bournemouth)

Mepham may see his career at a bigger club than Newcastle, and certainly, he has been attracting the attention of some of the 'top-six' clubs. However, with no move on the table yet, could Newcastle swoop for one of the Championship's top centre-backs?

8. Jed Wallace (Millwall)

Wallace is yet to sign a contract-extension at The Den and has been linked with moves to Rangers, Celtic, West Ham and Newcastle if he chooses to leave Millwall at the end of the season - a season which he has started in electrifying form.

9. Matt Grimes (Swansea City)

A quick look on Swansea City Twitter suggests that Grimes is one of the best-kept secrets in the Championship. Swans fans love him - could Newcastle break their hearts and make a move for the midfielder?

10. Tahith Chong (Birmingham City)

The on-loan Manchester United player has been impressing during his first-season of senior football. With competition for places in Ole Gunnar-Solskjaer's squad fierce, could Chong be forced to move away from Old Trafford in order to get game time?

11. Marek Rodak (Fulham)

Newcastle's goalkeeper crisis is slowly fading, however, after yet another injury, it isn't known how Martin Dubravka will fare on his return. If, for whatever reason, he isn't able to get back to his best, United may want to look at his rival for Slovakia's no.1 jersey for their next option between the posts.

12. Ilias Chair (QPR)

Eberechi Eze's stunning form for QPR earned him a move to Crystal Palace where he has impressed. Chair is seemingly the next great prospect to come from Loftus Road and after impressing this season, will likely be hot property in the summer.

13. Bobby De Cordova-Reid (Fulham)

Despite suffering Premier League relegations with Cardiff and Fulham in recent years, De Cordova-Reid has proved to be a handful for defenders in the top-flight and would be a good squad option for Steve Bruce.

14. Darnell Furlong (West Brom)

Furlong's long-throws have proved to be a menace so far this season, but it isn't his only weapon. Furlong is very athletic and would be a solid option at full-back or as a wing-back.

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/the-championship-stars-that-newcastle-united-should-target-in-january-including-fulham-bournemouth-and-manchester-united-players-3403924

WhiteJC

How Bournemouth and Scott Parker have got their identities back following Fulham faux pas

Few knew what to expect from Scott Parker and Bournemouth this season, and even fewer would've predicted that the Cherries would be sitting comfortably at the top of the Championship table come October as the only unbeaten side in the English Football League.

As a player, Parker always had an air of class about him. A midfielder who possessed an old school doggedness but enough flair to make him a rounded player, who played for some of the biggest clubs in England during his time. Now as a manager, Parker still boasts the same attributes and as he moves through his career in the dugout he's slowly but surely becoming the master of his own craft.

Fulham appointed Parker as caretaker manager in February 2019 following the dismissal of Claudio Ranieri. He became their third manager of what was a calamitous campaign and would eventually see the club back into the Championship. Though he showcased a lot of what we now know as 'Parkerball' during those early Fulham days and to decent effect, leading to him landing the job on a permanent basis going into the 2019/20 Championship season.

The entirety of that campaign would bring a mixed bag of results and an equally mixed bag of feelings towards Parker. His side were relatively inconsistent throughout but did enough to snatch a play-off place and, in arguably the club's most heroic day of the century, achieved promotion to the Premier League after defeating Brentford at Wembley.

It was a harsh learning curve for both Parker and the opinion-splitting Fulham board, who are largely fronted by the club's co-owner and Director of Football, Tony Khan. It was and remains he who has a large say in all things on the Fulham transfer front and ultimately he'd find himself feuded with Parker who still holds an equal amount of responsibility among Fulham fans for the flaws of last season.

Fulham were relegated from the Premier League with relative ease. Parkerball was in full flow but not operating to full effect, but since Parker's arrival at Bournemouth we've seen both he and his new club take their respective games to the next level. The Cherries remain the only unbeaten side in the EFL after their comeback win over Sheffield United on Saturday afternoon – a game which perfectly portrayed the progression of both Parker and Bournemouth since their union.

Parker's Fulham exit wasn't a clean one but he arrived at Bournemouth with a clean slate. Last time round the Cherries had two managers at the helm in Jason Tindall and Jonathan Woodgate, with the latter guiding the club into an unexpected play-off spot before rather expectedly clambering out at the hands of eventual winners Brentford. This current Bournemouth side had and still does have a lot of Eddie Howe's influence on it – the players and the way they were organised under his watch have so far complimented Parker's philosophy, with a handful of carefully picked summer additions having made for a well rounded squad.

That previous flair and element of risk in Bournemouth's play is back and that was no more evident than in yesterday's win over Sheffield United. Parker faced his old Fulham mentor in Slavisa Jokanovic in a true master versus apprentice bout of which the latter came out on top, and largely because of his own doing. Despite some controversies in the game it was the Cherries who deserved the three points after a second half comeback in which Parkerball was at its most daring and brutal best, but this time proving effective with less possession and less passes made than the opponent.

Parker's Fulham faux pas of old have seemingly been left in west London then. His ways got the better of his last season at a time when the football needed to be more simplistic as to build a Premier League foundation. But the lessons learned from that hardship have helped Parker perfect his game and what we're seeing prevail now is a side that looks rather unstoppable in the Championship, whose playing staff and manager seem to perfectly align when it comes to matchday.

Perhaps more so than any other side in the Championship, Bournemouth have mounds of attacking flair in their side. The likes of Dom Solanke and Philip Billing have taken their games to another level this season and despite Bournemouth losing their star man in Arnaut Danjuma last season, they've become a potent attacking force in the Championship. There also needs to be special mentions for the likes of Ben Pearson and of late Gary Cahill, who've given this Bournemouth side some steel down the spine.

There's a lot to be admired at Bournemouth. The club seemingly lost its way for a season when Howe left but quickly they've reset their sights, regathered their thoughts and have put down what looks to be a long-term plan with Parker at the helm. And the manager himself seems much more content at a club where he no doubt has much more influence in the transfer market. Indeed, Bournemouth and Parker met at a time when both were down on their luck and like a classic Hollywood love story, they've helped one another find their identities once again.

https://the72.co.uk/252277/how-bournemouth-and-scott-parker-have-got-their-identities-back-following-fulham-faux-pas/