more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Could Hector improve this team?

Started by 70sPimlico, October 04, 2021, 09:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sPimlico

Genuine question.

Theres no question he played a huge part in turning the ship a couple of seasons ago. I think he's one of those players perfect for the championship and most teams would have him in the starting 11.

He's seems to be a sort of heart on his sleeve, 110%'er that fights for everything. These attributes are great and fans love them but from what I have seen this makes him a bit hot headed and impacts his spatial awareness. He would get hammered in the premiership but does he get away with it in the Championship?

I suppose what I'm thinking is does a player who relishes a fight help us in the sort of position we were at 1-2 down on Saturday?

Just food for thought

MikeTheCubed

Has played about 30 games as a defensive midfielder including this division, wonder if he could provide some muscle there if Reed & Seri (both somewhat small) are physically overwhelmed. Onomah has good physical attributes but lacks defensive mentality. Of course Chalobah could also still come good.

Whitestone

Hector at his best would be good competition for Tosin at right CB. I'm not so certain that he's an upgrade on Tosin so he'll probably struggle to get regular starts. It's fairly obvious though that the defence hasn't been solid this season. Clean sheets have been hard to come by. Interestingly the last clean sheet came against Leeds with a back five of Rodak, Christie, Hector, Mawson and Bryan.
For various reasons the back five has been chopped and changed on a regular basis which hasn't helped. It's an area the manager has to improve on. If we are going to finish in the automatics we are going to have to grind out results on occasions.

S.F.Sorrow

Hector is a good CB at this level. When Tosin is injured or needs rest we should use Hector at RCB.

Mawson is our best LCB but he always looks uncomfortable at RCB.

Tosin-Mawson and Hector-Mawson are our best options IMO. Certainly better than any combination involving Ream.

JimOG

Quote from: Whitestone on October 04, 2021, 10:14:02 AM
Hector at his best would be good competition for Tosin at right CB. I'm not so certain that he's an upgrade on Tosin so he'll probably struggle to get regular starts. It's fairly obvious though that the defence hasn't been solid this season. Clean sheets have been hard to come by. Interestingly the last clean sheet came against Leeds with a back five of Rodak, Christie, Hector, Mawson and Bryan.
For various reasons the back five has been chopped and changed on a regular basis which hasn't helped. It's an area the manager has to improve on. If we are going to finish in the automatics we are going to have to grind out results on occasions.

If we can ever get Kongolo fit he & Tosin would be my choice (but I think that's unlikely). I do think a dual screen of Chalobah & Reed to leave Seri and Wilson attack with Mitro & Carvalho would protect our defence so much better

JimmyConway

Mawson playing left centre back means you struggle with the playing out from the back. He is predominantly right footed just like Tosin last season playing on the left he struggled with distribution. Hector again tends to be right sided. If you are prepared to forsake playing out from the back then it's a no brainer and then it's down to whose mostly composed on the ball and more effective in there right position. I have always thought Ream plays due to being left footed and offering balance but as we saw last Saturday gets flustered when closed down and inevitably ends up costing us.
Be interesting when he returns (if he returns) to see if Kongolo stakes a claim to the left side of the central pairing as he is naturally left footed. If (big if) he shows signs of the player we thought we were getting a couple of seasons ago then it's him with one other from Tosin/Mawson/Hector though the latter probably only gets in if injuries take toll.
The one thing Hector does bring to the team is the ability to win more aerial duels than either Tosin or Mawson but even in the Championship there are few and far between big target men leading the line.

I Ronic

The current squad have served up some wonderful football this season but it's patchy. That needs ironing out. Which isn't going to be that straight forward as in certain positions players are like chalk and cheese. Josh and Seri for instance. I think our four centre backs are all roughly compatible

Whitesideup

Tosin our best CB - really didn't understand why he and Seri were dropped for the Coventry game - can't be "rested" with the International break coming up. And Tosin and Ream have been doing well together.

Terry Towling

The way we played on Saturday I suggest using all of our defenders in two banks of four.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Whitesideup on October 04, 2021, 02:28:48 PM
Tosin our best CB - really didn't understand why he and Seri were dropped for the Coventry game - can't be "rested" with the International break coming up. And Tosin and Ream have been doing well together.

Ream and Tosin work well together, but I really don't believe Ream is one of our two best centre backs. I think Hector, Mawson and Tosin are better centre backs than Ream, plus I suspect any two can work well together.

Twig

Hector's form had dropped away badly last time he had any sort of run in the team. I'd only want him back if Silva has seen clear evidence of a turnaround in in his form and his confidence.  This is a problem with the lack absence of a proper, competitive reserve team structure. Throwing him straight back into our match day starting eleven could do him more harm than good. I guess a couple of under 23 outings and if all goes well followed up by a place on the bench. But a few games in proper grown up reserve team football would have been a far better test and player preparation.

RaySmith

Yes, we should be wary of just chopping and changing willy nilly after a defeat.

Silva needs to decide on a settled back four.

Whitestone

Quote from: RaySmith on October 05, 2021, 08:18:18 AM
Yes, we should be wary of just chopping and changing willy nilly after a defeat.

Silva needs to decide on a settled back four.

Silva needs to very quickly decide his best 11 paying particular attention to his best players. Dropping Seri and Tosin wasn't the best move. A settled defence without Ream and Odoi would be a start.