watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Sympathy for the devil er ref

Started by bog, October 04, 2021, 04:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

I do have sympathy for the ref with that penalty on Saturday. That cheating, diving scumbag fooled him. In a split second he had to make his mind up. The commentators said immediately 'That was a penalty'  then on second viewing 'Er no. That was a dive'.  The s***** smirking player gets away with it and then the ref gets crucified. Grrr. and we collapse. 

They say the decisions are swings and roundabouts, our first goal v Swansea could have been chalked off for offside....  :022:

092.gif

Woolly Mammoth

My concern is why did the Linesman not signal it was a dive, he had to have seen it as he had a good view, which signifies to me that he didn't have the nuts to rule it out and he was happy to let the ref get the flack rather than him signalling the dive.
They get well paid these officials yet they have not got back bone to deal with confrontation, shame on them.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

FulhamKC

In my experience running the line, I found that I tended to focus on the attacking players without the ball so I could flag for offside if they were and the ball was played to them. As fans we tend to watch the player with the ball but the refs can't all do that.

Kingjay81

I was in the crowd and not one single fan around me was screaming at the ref. It looked absolutely stone wall.

Mullers OG

When I saw it I immediately said 'penalty'. I was wrong. So was the referee. Without video assistance it's seen once at speed and an instant decision has to be made. The real culprit here was Robinson. If you stick out a leg like that there's every chance a forward will trip over it and if they don't they will certainly try to con everyone that they did.

Robinson is a perfectly good left back but everyone makes mistakes. Whether Bryan's better is a matter of opinion. My view is that Bryan offers more but I am aware others will take the opposite view.

Bill2

Quote from: bog on October 04, 2021, 04:21:08 PM
I do have sympathy for the ref with that penalty on Saturday. That cheating, diving scumbag fooled him. In a split second he had to make his mind up. The commentators said immediately 'That was a penalty'  then on second viewing 'Er no. That was a dive'.  The s***** smirking player gets away with it and then the ref gets crucified. Grrr. and we collapse. 

They say the decisions are swings and roundabouts, our first goal v Swansea could have been chalked off for offside....  :022:

092.gif
And we should have had a penalty v Swansea when Wilson was fouled.

Whitesideup

Quote from: Bill2 on October 04, 2021, 10:21:51 PM
Quote from: bog on October 04, 2021, 04:21:08 PM

092.gif
And we should have had a penalty v Swansea when Wilson was fouled.
Absolutely .. and maybe subconsciously that was in the lino's mind. I thought Mitro was offside, even if it was much closer at the time the ball was played than when he received it, but at the back of the lino's mind ... well they had a stonewall penalty not given, and that was close so.....

I can see the ref was conned at Coventry, but you can at least understand his decision, but I would love to hear the ref's explanation as to why the foul on Wilson was not given ... he just bottled it.

RaySmith

Quote from: Mullers OG on October 04, 2021, 09:16:12 PM
When I saw it I immediately said 'penalty'. I was wrong. So was the referee. Without video assistance it's seen once at speed and an instant decision has to be made. The real culprit here was Robinson. If you stick out a leg like that there's every chance a forward will trip over it and if they don't they will certainly try to con everyone that they did.

Robinson is a perfectly good left back but everyone makes mistakes. Whether Bryan's better is a matter of opinion. My view is that Bryan offers more but I am aware others will take the opposite view.

But trying to win the ball in the heat of battle, defending your goal......
You might stick out a leg to get the ball, but with a player beating you for speed it looks worse, but he fact is that Robinson didn't foul him, didn't even touch him.

I've often  said why do our defenders let attackers  waltz past them, and go through on goal, though I know they're wary of conceding a foul, but you want your defenders to have a go  too.

That's the problem these days. You want your players to get stuck in, show a battling spirit, but then  curse them if they give away a foul or pen, which is so easy to do these days, when many midfield hardmen of old, the likes of Keetch, Mackay, Hunter, Bremner, Storey would likely be sent off after  five minutes, and even the most innocuous  challenge can be penalised.

bog

To me it is no one's fault other than the cheating b******* who dived. All this is down to him. He had it in his mind when he was in no position to create anything as he was running away from the goal so he decided to go looking for a penalty by whatever means. Little s***! How he enjoyed his jubilation.  :031: :031:

Also,  I recall when penalties were only to be awarded when a player fouled was in a position to score. When was that changed?

092.gif

toshes mate

You may have sympathy for referees who get a completely different view of a game of football than audiences, live or TV do, but have come through the box ticking ranks of the football authority for getting things wrong - occasionally, very occasionally.   Let's say they should get 90% decisions right but the one in ten they do not get right influences the result more than the nine they get wrong.  That might suggest there is something wrong with the box ticking assessment process that made them a referee, unless of course the tootball authorities like it that way because it helps to hide the cheating and deception that goes unchecked and has arisen because money is more important than the game itself.

I don't have sympathy with anyone involved in football these days because it is not the honest sport it was when I first began watching.   The cheats have been allowed to prosper and that has happened slowly but surely as the game got richer.  But that is just my opinion.

Rupert

Quote from: bog on October 05, 2021, 08:53:33 AM

Also,  I recall when penalties were only to be awarded when a player fouled was in a position to score. When was that changed?

092.gif

I don't think that has ever been a rule. I have given a penalty when the ball was at the half-way line, heading away from the goal, and the goalie has chosen to stroll over to an opponent and push him over. Sadly for him, I had this funny feeing that something unusual was about to happen (probably due to witchcraft or something), so was watching them as I jogged backwards, keeping up with play. The ball is in play, the player has been fouled in the penalty area, the penalty was awarded. It decided the game, too.
The only time penalties are not given in the penalty area is for a technical foul (obstruction is about the only one that might qualify aside from the more obvious back-pass rule) when it is an indirect free kick.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

bog

Quote from: Rupert on October 05, 2021, 09:49:48 AM
Quote from: bog on October 05, 2021, 08:53:33 AM

092.gif

I don't think that has ever been a rule. I have given a penalty when the ball was at the half-way line, heading away from the goal, and the goalie has chosen to stroll over to an opponent and push him over. Sadly for him, I had this funny feeing that something unusual was about to happen (probably due to witchcraft or something), so was watching them as I jogged backwards, keeping up with play. The ball is in play, the player has been fouled in the penalty area, the penalty was awarded. It decided the game, too.
The only time penalties are not given in the penalty area is for a technical foul (obstruction is about the only one that might qualify aside from the more obvious back-pass rule) when it is an indirect free kick.

I am sure the rule used to be 'when in a position to score'. I also recall indirect kicks in the penalty area before the back pass rule. Mind that was about 50 years ago!

filham

Right behind you on this one Bog, I expressed similar sentiments on an earlier thread.
No blame on the ref. for an understandable error of judgement but some retrospective punishment should be given to the cheating diver.

bobbo

Quote from: Kingjay81 on October 04, 2021, 08:34:15 PM
I was in the crowd and not one single fan around me was screaming at the ref. It looked absolutely stone wall.
it did I was there too we all said the same.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

grandad

Their diver is going to face the most vocal response whenever he touches the ball in the reverse fixture. He will be a marked man for the rest of his miserable playing time.
Where there's a will there's a wife

bobbo

Yes grandad , MATT GODDEN is the player in question .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

bog

I wonder what the player thinks when his behaviour is so widely condemned? What does his misses or girl friend say?  :022:

092.gif

Lordedmundo

Cheating turd  :031: I notice he got up and walked the opposite direction of Robinson and the ref after the pen was given.  I get the feeling he thought more likely he would get booked for simulation..