watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Coventry’s diving striker.

Started by Fernhurst, October 08, 2021, 10:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernhurst

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

_Putney_

Depends on what we mean by fair.  Have the top 6 Premier League teams been charged when they dive? Do we get points back for it?

bog

I think the main thing is that he didn't completely get away with his scum bag cheating.  :031:

092.gif 

McBluffin

Coventry fan in peace.

Personally, I'd say yes. Not just because of the ban but also the financial penalty most clubs would put on a player for disciplinary offences as well. Gives this player something to mull over while he's sat in the stands.

The bigger concern about this whole incident is the FA inconsistency in detecting and eliminating cheating (think it was mentioned in the previous thread about the dive). Godden was caught on live TV with multiple camera views and with the National media watching. Stupid thing to do and there was no chance this wouldn't go unpunished but considering the circumstances and the rewards that winning gives to clubs, its something every player and every club would be willing to try. Conning the referee happens in all leagues in the UK and around the world. No doubt, we've all seen a player go over far too easily and we either smirk when its our player or cry foul when it happens against the club we support.

Consistency needs to come when on a cold Wednesday night at Hull, Blackpool, Crewe or Southend when the teams are lucky to be on the single camera view on the Red Button on Sky, and a player goes over too easily. Will they be punished ?

It's this degree of inconsistency that will cause friction in football until the authorities can create a process when all players can be punished, no matter what teams or in what match the dive occurs.

Best of luck for the rest of the season and I hope Jimmy will be watching us both with a big smile when we meet again in a promotion battle.

shepperton white

Personally, I think if that had been the match winning goal, not only would the player be charged, but the points would be awarded to the losing team - but it just isn't going to happen.  Let's face it, most teams and players would do the same if they thought the would get away with it

Lordedmundo

Quote from: shepperton white on October 08, 2021, 02:13:14 PM
Personally, I think if that had been the match winning goal, not only would the player be charged, but the points would be awarded to the losing team - but it just isn't going to happen.  Let's face it, most teams and players would do the same if they thought the would get away with it

I suspect that financial penalties/suspensions don't really bother players or the teams that much. Maybe deducting a point and awarding it to the opposition regardless of the result would be a better additional deterrent where proven cheating such as this has resulted in a goal.

ALG01

Of course it is not fair. It is a complete joke.

It was 1 1 and the game was in the balance. Cov were better but failing to score at that very moment would have potentially seen the game turn in our favour as frustration set in or, you can make up another narrative. But the goal mattered it was not at a point  when the game was already won.

We lost one potentially all three points as a result. It was an act of blatant pre meditated cheating, he flicked the ball up in order to ensure he could dive and that robinson could never make contact. 6 games for thius sort of thing is fair for a first offence, there after 12, then 18 match bans. That is the only way to stop it.

And in the interest of fairness saha and boa dived worse than this and I hated it.

bobbo

Quote from: shepperton white on October 08, 2021, 02:13:14 PM
I like the "MOST" bit I think that's very true there's definitely a nucleus of players that would just never do it.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

WhiteJC

my main issue with this cheating is that these players are "role models" to young players, if they see their heroes cheating then that makes it OK, win at any cost.
many ex-professional pundits praise a cheater for being "cleaver" all they (the pundits) are doing is reinforcing that cheating is OK, if my Nan was still with us she'd slap their legs

70sPimlico

Quote from: ALG01 on October 08, 2021, 02:29:42 PM
Of course it is not fair. It is a complete joke.

It was 1 1 and the game was in the balance. Cov were better but failing to score at that very moment would have potentially seen the game turn in our favour as frustration set in or, you can make up another narrative. But the goal mattered it was not at a point  when the game was already won.

We lost one potentially all three points as a result. It was an act of blatant pre meditated cheating, he flicked the ball up in order to ensure he could dive and that robinson could never make contact. 6 games for thius sort of thing is fair for a first offence, there after 12, then 18 match bans. That is the only way to stop it.

And in the interest of fairness saha and boa dived worse than this and I hated it.
Mitro is usually shot most games