watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Rick Jones - Meal Ticket

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, October 09, 2021, 05:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

For those old enough to remember the band Meal Ticket performing in and around London in the1970's early - 80's
I'm sad to report that the  Singer/Songwriter and keyboard player, Rick Jones, died in Arizona on Thursday night.
He will also be remembered for the 70's iconic TV Shows, Fingerbobs and Play School.
I was lucky enough to work with Rick in Washington DC, co-writing and producing a stage musical based on
the Meal Ticket songs.
Rick and Meal Ticket were 'legends' on the London pub scene.
he continued working,  on a new CD with his with Val until a few weeks ago.
Rick was 84

RIP matey.

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

WhiteJC

I remember seeing them in the 70s, a good band, they were unlucky not to be very successful

RIP  9739.gif

RaySmith

I remember them from the pub rock scene, a very popular, very good band.

RIP Rick

Udo the Unwary

Very sorry to hear about Rick's passing.

Meal Ticket were part of the soundtrack of my youth and saw them many times at the much-missed Red Lion in Brentford.

He was a talented songwriter and performer in a very fine band. Their 'Code of the Road' album (available on Spotify, folks) contained many great songs: 'Man from Mexico,'  'Keep the Faith'  among others.I can easily see now how they would have fitted well into a Musical format.

I chatted to Rick once at a gig and asked him about his Play School days. He replied, very reasonably: 'What other gig can you turn up at 11am, stoned from the night  before and still get paid?'

RIP Rick

Mickeyboro

A box set I helped put together has all 3 albums on CD. GO TO Cherry Red website and it's cheap as chips!
Steve Simpson of MT still active and very good, solo and with Slim Chance.

ffccornwall

Quote from: Mickeyboro on October 11, 2021, 08:29:31 AM
A box set I helped put together has all 3 albums on CD. GO TO Cherry Red website and it's cheap as chips!
...and also in Joe Brown's band. My brother Malcolm Hoskins does duo gigs with Steve Simpson. Steve is a very talented musician, as is Joe Brown.

Mickeyboro

Quote from: ffccornwall on October 11, 2021, 08:56:11 AM
Quote from: Mickeyboro on October 11, 2021, 08:29:31 AM
...and also in Joe Brown's band. My brother Malcolm Hoskins does duo gigs with Steve Simpson. Steve is a very talented musician, as is Joe Brown.
Saw Malcolm and Steve in the New forest recently. As a bass player myself, I admire your brother too!