News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Anyone going to the Eng - Hungary game tomorrow?

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, October 11, 2021, 12:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Before the match I was telling myself that in Kane, Sterling and Grealish we had three world class attacking players and at Wembley they could be expected to score at least three goals. As it was they hardly had a sniff of goal.
So disappointing, hope we see better at the Cottage on Saturday.

Lighthouse

Although I couldn't sit through the entire game and kept coming back to it. It seemed a perfect advertisement for why fans either love International football or they don't. It was for me tedious, lack of any class or tactics and the poorer team just set up to defend and stop the better team playing and did it very very well. But it was never entertaining as a piece of sport or theatre. It was predictably predictable.

The annoying thing is football seems to become more entertaining the lower down the leagues you go. If the Internationals are the best players and coaches around then give me a Sunday League game any day.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

LittleErn

Quote from: Lighthouse on October 13, 2021, 10:42:15 AM
Although I couldn't sit through the entire game and kept coming back to it. It seemed a perfect advertisement for why fans either love International football or they don't. It was for me tedious, lack of any class or tactics and the poorer team just set up to defend and stop the better team playing and did it very very well. But it was never entertaining as a piece of sport or theatre. It was predictably predictable.

The annoying thing is football seems to become more entertaining the lower down the leagues you go. If the Internationals are the best players and coaches around then give me a Sunday League game any day.

You are so right Lighthouse. It's been happening ever since the Sky money changed football. Nobody cares if the local supporters find it exciting or not, there is far more money to be made via the TV receipts, and they depend on being near the top of each league, so boring "organised" football becomes the norm for any team that can't afford the "top" players.  As somebody else said on here "win at home and don't lose away" results in away teams setting up to stifle any creativity.

Carborundum

Quote from: Lighthouse on October 13, 2021, 10:42:15 AM

So true, but only annoying if shelling out an arm and a leg for the wrong stuff.  Can report that the East Berks U17 league is providing a festival of incidents and by that age group offers some rather decent football too.  Where else can you find the answer to such burning questions as "I wonder what would happen if the opposition club chairman moonlighted as the referee?" and "where can you get a bag of ice in a hurry in Hanworth?" 

Slaphead in Qatar

I wouldn't have started this thread if I realised there would be so much misery on it.

Well not the best Eng performance but a great night out anyway. In the Eng sections there were all sorts of people happily cheering on the team - blokes in groups, women in groups, families, minorities. We got to a semi and a final recently - let's all be happy with that and who knows what we can achieve in Qatar.

Dodgin

Watching Squid Game and forgot. Seems I was lucky.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on October 13, 2021, 04:00:06 PM
I wouldn't have started this thread if I realised there would be so much misery on it.

Well not the best Eng performance but a great night out anyway. In the Eng sections there were all sorts of people happily cheering on the team - blokes in groups, women in groups, families, minorities. We got to a semi and a final recently - let's all be happy with that and who knows what we can achieve in Qatar.

I agree and I was there, too many misery's on here looking for any excuse to moan, they even moan about moaning.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Somerset Fulham

Thats standard for here, unfortunately Wooly.

As for the game, well this time it was quite dreary and I don't recall that happening for quite some time.  The was experimenation that didn't work out. Abraham simply isn't good enough, Kane and Sterling are miles off of the pace and the rest didn't perform particularly well.

But these things happen and I expect to see a response from the team in the next game. They are still a very, very good side.

Lighthouse

Not sure if misery is the right word. A question was asked and people answered it. Those that like International football and went ended up moaning about the performance anyway.

Moaning seems very healthy. Misery is not what is on this thread. Life is misery. Existence is misery. But this thread is simply people expressing opinions. Clearly some on here are always so full of joy that it is misery for the rest of us.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Woolly Mammoth

Moaner is the more accurate definition, as defined in the English, Oxford, Collins Dictionary as a " Tiresome Complainer".

Never forget your Roots.

Terry Towling

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on October 13, 2021, 04:00:06 PM

Good post.

I have only been to a couple of England games and both were memorable - the first was back in the 80's v Scotland at the old Wembley - I was with a group of Scots - it was crazy. The second time was during Euro 96 against the Dutch - great game too!

Dr Quinzel

I went. Standard Southgate game.

If I never see another paper aeroplane it will be too soon. I don't get the weirdos who go to Wembley to do anything but watch the football.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on October 14, 2021, 04:20:28 PM

If I never see another paper aeroplane it will be too soon. I don't get the weirdos who go to Wembley to do anything but watch the football.

I wonder who invented paper aeroplanes where and when.

Never forget your Roots.

Rupert

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 14, 2021, 05:24:22 PM

Fascinating fact, the paper aeroplane flew long before the aeroplane did. It didn't need an engine, see?

You tell kids that nowadays and they don't believe you.

Actually, it was the ancient Chinese, 2,000 years ago.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Rupert on October 14, 2021, 05:30:00 PM

Fascinating fact, the paper aeroplane flew long before the aeroplane did. It didn't need an engine, see?

If that is the case, they must have built the Pilot Model.

Never forget your Roots.

Rupert

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 14, 2021, 05:47:26 PM

If that is the case, they must have built the Pilot Model.

They hoped the idea would catch on, but it just didn't fly.

I'm here all week, folks!
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

sunburywhite

I have always found aeroplanes to be a bit up and down
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me