watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stan Horne gets his medal

Started by Rupert, October 17, 2021, 06:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rupert

There was a small piece on breakfast TV this morning, Stan Horne has been awarded a medal for Manchester City's 1968 campaign. He only made five appearances for them, due to injury, so did not get a medal at the time. I have to say, he is looking very well. He played for us after them, and I confess I really don't remember him, but I would have seen him turn out for us.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

ron

The scorer of the best own goal I ever saw!

colinwhite

Not great for us ,so not surprised you dont remeber him !!

bog

I think Stan was our first black player.

092.gif

Dodgin

Stan was with us quite a while, decent player as I recall.

AJW48361

Honest midfield player not at  the Stan Brown level.

Holders

I seem to recall him taking over from Stan Brown but being somewhat underwhelming. Man City weren't then what they are now but it's still hard to imagine him playing for them.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

filham

My memory is fading and playing tricks at times but was Stan Horne one of Bobby Robson's three signings to our team that was then relegated.

Dr Know

Quote from: filham on October 17, 2021, 10:38:24 AM
My memory is fading and playing tricks at times but was Stan Horne one of Bobby Robson's three signings to our team that was then relegated.
The other two were Brian Dear and Wilf Tranter !

St Eve

I am afraid Stan was an awful player for us

Bill2

Quote from: bog on October 17, 2021, 08:47:41 AM
I think Stan was our first black player.

092.gif
Absolutely right, remember seeing him play, centre half. Tough as nails.

Jims Dentist

Memory plays tricks,  but I think that colourful Stanley was Captain for a while.

Dr Know

Quote from: Jims Dentist on October 17, 2021, 11:37:49 PM
Memory plays tricks,  but I think that colourful Stanley was Captain for a while.

I feel a song coming on there Jim , if only I could remember the rest of the words !

RaySmith

He was with us for a few seasons I think.

Our first black player?
I also remember Howard Gayle, a tricky, quality, winger on loan from Liverpool, as one of the first black players I saw at Fulham,  in the early 80's

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I remember Tyrone James playing a few games for us in the mid-70s. A fullback who was only 19.

Ronnief

1968 was the year I was first able to attend Fulham matches on a regular basis. Stan Horne played 79 times over 5 years for us. It was not one of our most productive periods but Stan was a likeable player who gave his all for the team. He was at least one of the players that I remember well more than some from that period. 092.gif

filham

Quote from: Dr Know on October 17, 2021, 12:28:59 PM
Quote from: filham on October 17, 2021, 10:38:24 AM
The other two were Brian Dear and Wilf Tranter !
Thanks for reminding me, the best thing I can say about Stan Horne is that he was the best of those three.