more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Police (NFR)

Started by Motspur Park, October 24, 2021, 09:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motspur Park

This story is on BBC sport https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59025887

It is about a banner displayed by Palace fans at their game with Newcastle. A complaint was made and police are now investigating. Really??? Is there no freedom of speech any more? I know for certain that crimes are reported and no police time is spent investigating them even when there is overwhelming evidence to catch the perpetrators of crimes. So, to spend any amount of time on an issue such as this is plain insulting and an affront to tax payers.

MartyFFC

Most of them are pretty factual in fairness, I mean beheadings form part of their constitution. It's also irrefutable fact that they chopped up a journalist in their embassy and so murder, censorship, civil rights abuses and persecution are all there. And I think almost all the 9/11 bombers were Saudi Arabian too. For me the only controversial one should be terrorism, I mean let's face it terrorists are of all nationalities and so to label a country as terrorists is maybe going a bit far. Though there is the whole subject of state-sponsored terrorism........

Oakeshott

I think the police have a duty to investigate alleged racist incidents as a result of the political prioritisation of such matters over others. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything more than a quick look at the allegation and a decision that there is nothing requiring anything more.

If the complaint is literally about nothing more than the banner as shown in today's newspapers, it will quickly be dismissed.

Personally, I thought is was spot on and evidence that many of us are fully aware of the Saudi regime's record and policies.

Bill2

Quote from: Oakeshott on October 24, 2021, 09:28:00 AM
I think the police have a duty to investigate alleged racist incidents as a result of the political prioritisation of such matters over others. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything more than a quick look at the allegation and a decision that there is nothing requiring anything more.

If the complaint is literally about nothing more than the banner as shown in today's newspapers, it will quickly be dismissed.

Personally, I thought is was spot on and evidence that many of us are fully aware of the Saudi regime's record and policies.
Shame they don't attach more priority to daily crime, sounds like they are prioritising this down to political expediency.

Motspur Park

Why is a crime of this nature (and one can see the facts immediately) prioritised over, say, crimes which cost the victim a couple of thousand pounds or where multiple families are subjected to criminal and antisocial behaviour. I have knowledge of both and no police action was taken. However, beat the political drum and it immediately gets prioritised and high level police attention.

Holders

I wonder why it's a priority over investigating those officers who tasered an old man in the street, kicked him in the back and smashed his face into the pavement.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

filham

I think that all terrorism should be put on a war footing and that the authorities should act in the same way they would have done against Nazis in this country in WW2.
There that should get this thread banned.

_Putney_

Twig

Quote from: filham on October 24, 2021, 10:33:02 AM
I think that all terrorism should be put on a war footing and that the authorities should act in the same way they would have done against Nazis in this country in WW2.
There that should get this thread banned.

As a matter of interest, why do you want this thread banned?

Holders

It was, in my view, a political protest (arguably tenuously religious perhaps) and not a racist one because it was directed at the actions of the Saudi state not at people of their ethnicity. In the same way,  protests could be directed at many other state of dubious ethics for different reasons. (e.g. Hungary, Brazil, even Australia). That said, if a complaint of "racism" has been made the police have to consider it, given how conspicuous it was.

Motspur Park

The question still remains why does this necessitate investigation when the police don't even bother to investigate other crimes which really do affect the law abiding majority.

Oakeshott

"they are prioritising this down to political expediency."

The police are under political direction, in that the Met Commissioner and Chief Constables are accountable to elected mayors, police commissioners etc. And it is the job of those elected mayors etc, who are politicians, to set priorities that are consistent with the law, and the job of the police to work to those priorities.

Yes, dealing with racist issues has been prioritised, and given the disgusting abuse some members of minority ethnic communities face, many would say that is appropriate. But with finite policing resources, making one thing a particular priority always means giving less resources to other things, which some might see as more important.

These days it is particularly difficult for politicians, I think. Any problem has the potential to become "news" and politicians seem invariably to feel they must have "answers". As a result, the police all too often get the criticism that should really be focused on politicians. If at times we think even a small amount of resource is being used wastefully, as may well be the case with the Palace suporters' banner, it is the price we all have to pay for the police and justice system we have.  If we take the view that, isolated examples apart, the balance of priorities is wrong, or the political leadership incompetent, the remedy is in our hands as voters.

Holders

Quote from: Motspur Park on October 24, 2021, 11:50:16 AM
The question still remains why does this necessitate investigation when the police don't even bother to investigate other crimes which really do affect the law abiding majority.

I think the question they should be asking is "was it racist?". If so, investigate it. If not (as I believe), move on. Whether political protests are acceptable within football grounds is a question for the clubs themselves and the football authorities. I doubt if they'd be well-disposed towards this one as it was a bit close to home and may trigger a reaction if it continues at other grounds. .

Motspur Park

Quote from: Oakeshott on October 24, 2021, 11:53:47 AM
"they are prioritising this down to political expediency."

The police are under political direction, in that the Met Commissioner and Chief Constables are accountable to elected mayors, police commissioners etc. And it is the job of those elected mayors etc, who are politicians, to set priorities that are consistent with the law, and the job of the police to work to those priorities.

Yes, dealing with racist issues has been prioritised, and given the disgusting abuse some members of minority ethnic communities face, many would say that is appropriate. But with finite policing resources, making one thing a particular priority always means giving less resources to other things, which some might see as more important.

These days it is particularly difficult for politicians, I think. Any problem has the potential to become "news" and politicians seem invariably to feel they must have "answers". As a result, the police all too often get the criticism that should really be focused on politicians. If at times we think even a small amount of resource is being used wastefully, as may well be the case with the Palace suporters' banner, it is the price we all have to pay for the police and justice system we have.  If we take the view that, isolated examples apart, the balance of priorities is wrong, or the political leadership incompetent, the remedy is in our hands as voters.

You are no doubt correct and whilst I asked the question, it is something we already know. The issue I am highlighting is that it is a farce because crimes against everyday people of all nationalities are being ignored unless they bring race or religion into the equation. Even alleged crimes where it is an insult to warrant time being spent on them receive significant amounts of resources whereas actual crimes get given a crime reference number and no police time is spent on them because of the finite amount of time and costs available. It is a modern day scandal and something that politicians should be held to account for but won't be.

FFCFOREVER

Quote from: Motspur Park on October 24, 2021, 09:07:47 AM
This story is on BBC sport https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59025887

It is about a banner displayed by Palace fans at their game with Newcastle. A complaint was made and police are now investigating. Really??? Is there no freedom of speech any more? I know for certain that crimes are reported and no police time is spent investigating them even when there is overwhelming evidence to catch the perpetrators of crimes. So, to spend any amount of time on an issue such as this is plain insulting and an affront to tax payers.
What's more, is that the banner is not lying and says the truth. I think the gavvers should spend more of our money on real crime which this aint, and weeding out the wrong uns from within their own force.

Somerset Fulham

I can't see what there is to investigate. It's not racism to tell the truth.

FFCFOREVER

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on October 24, 2021, 12:35:52 PM
I can't see what there is to investigate. It's not racism to tell the truth.
0001.jpeg

ffcne

Quote from: Bill2 on October 24, 2021, 09:52:57 AM
Quote from: Oakeshott on October 24, 2021, 09:28:00 AM

Shame they don't attach more priority to daily crime, sounds like they are prioritising this down to political expediency.

Unless you steal a car and then you will have about 8 coppers ,4 cars, a helicopter and a sniffer dog on your tail.
Meanwhile your home is getting burgled and they dont want to know.

Jurassic Parker

>Palace fans make banner about a nation/racial group/government/whatever

>complaint made

>police investigate complaint

>article gets written to say complaint is investigated

>people on the internet: OmG WHy iS thIS 'CRIME' PRIoritised, its POLiTiCaL CorReCtNeSs goNE BaRMy!!!!! I oNcE hAd My Bike StoLeN iN 1987 WheRE WeRe tHe PoLiCe ThEn??!!!!!

The police investigating a complaint isn't news just because the BBC have called it news, it's just daily business. The police investigate complaints every day that most of us consider non-issues, it's just part of the job.
Come back when someones prosecuted then I'll eat my words and get the pitchforks with you, but come on stop letting outrage journalism live in your head rent free

Motspur Park

Quote from: Jurassic Parker on October 24, 2021, 02:09:06 PM
>Palace fans make banner about a nation/racial group/government/whatever

>complaint made

>police investigate complaint

>article gets written to say complaint is investigated

>people on the internet: OmG WHy iS thIS 'CRIME' PRIoritised, its POLiTiCaL CorReCtNeSs goNE BaRMy!!!!! I oNcE hAd My Bike StoLeN iN 1987 WheRE WeRe tHe PoLiCe ThEn??!!!!!

The police investigating a complaint isn't news just because the BBC have called it news, it's just daily business. The police investigate complaints every day that most of consider non-issues, it's just part of the job.
Come back when someones prosecuted then I'll eat my words and get the pitchforks with you, but come on stop letting outrage journalism live in your head rent free

Completely missing the point. I didn't mention anything about prosecution. The issue is that this is being investigated because of political agenda whereas real crimes aren't being investigated. Not a hard concept to understand, is it?