watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The first goal

Started by PaulJ123, October 25, 2021, 09:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulJ123

Has that officially been given as an own goal?? It looks on the replays as if it might be creeping in at the back post so should be Mitro's goal and a hattrick?

Andy S

We'll have to wait and see

H4usuallysitting

I guarantee he's claiming it

MikeTheCubed

Don't see why it shouldn't be a Mitro goal, thought the law was that it just needed to be a shot on target. Otherwise it's no more an 'own goal' than Robinson's vs QPR.

bencher

If he gets a hat-trick that takes him to 16 for the season so far. It's still October. Quite astonishing really.

Ronnief

I'm sure Djed Spence would in hindsight want it to be a Mitro goal rather than his own goal. Spence was one of our own juniors but was let go because Sessegnon and Fossey were deemed better. That doesn't now seem to be the case.

rebel

Quote from: bencher on October 25, 2021, 01:13:11 PM
If he gets a hat-trick that takes him to 16 for the season so far. It's still October. Quite astonishing really.

Why is it 'astonishing'? I've been saying it ever since Mitro signed, that the some parts of his goal contributions don't add up.
He should be scoring more against the number of chances created. I said the same when we were last in the Championship when he scored 26 goals.

Jamie88

Quote from: rebel on October 25, 2021, 02:00:04 PM

Why is it 'astonishing'? I've been saying it ever since Mitro signed, that the some parts of his goal contributions don't add up.
He should be scoring more against the number of chances created. I said the same when we were last in the Championship when he scored 26 goals.

If you don't understand why someone would think that 16 League goals before November is astonishing, then I don't know what to say!

To put it in perspective, Ivan Toney who broke the Championship goals record last season with 31, had 12 goals at this stage last season.

Tabby

I may just be a simpleton, but I think any player putting up more than a goal per game for an extended amount of time is extraordinary, even if it is in the championship.

Twig

Of course it's astonishing. I don't know who was the last striker to reach 16 before Nov. but I'm guessing there haven't been many. Mito's having a wonderful season and long may it last.

Jim©

It took Toney until mid december to get 15 goals for Brentford last season and I believe he took the record last year for most goals in Championship season (ever). He then scored 16 in 27 games to get to 31 goals. Guy Whittingham holds the record for most in the old div one (pre championship, post div 2) era- with 42!!
So yes, it astonishing that he's on course to smash the current record.

filham

Make no mistake Mitro's goal scoring rate is amazing, long may it last.
The big question is would he be playing regularly if Parker was still manager or would he have still favoured Cav.

rebel

Quote from: Jamie88 on October 25, 2021, 07:41:02 PM

If you don't understand why someone would think that 16 League goals before November is astonishing, then I don't know what to say!

To put it in perspective, Ivan Toney who broke the Championship goals record last season with 31, had 12 goals at this stage last season.

You just need to read my posts ever since we signed Mitro, I've always said he should be scoring more goals then he had been doing. So on that basis it's not 'astonishing'. He's doing exactly what he should be doing. Mitro is up there regards World Cup qualifiers.
I also posted that he should be scoring 'braces and hat-tricks' on a thread.

Jamie88

Quote from: rebel on October 26, 2021, 03:53:05 PM

You just need to read my posts ever since we signed Mitro, I've always said he should be scoring more goals then he had been doing. So on that basis it's not 'astonishing'. He's doing exactly what he should be doing. Mitro is up there regards World Cup qualifiers.

https://www.infogol.net/en/player/aleksandar-mitrovic/1373

His xG is currently 11.70, so he is surpassing expectations based on chances presented to him

rebel

Quote from: Jamie88 on October 26, 2021, 08:48:40 PM

His xG is currently 11.70, so he is surpassing expectations based on chances presented to him

To date he's had 49 opportunities (BBC website). You only need to look at the opportunities he's missed to see he could easily have had at least 10 more this season.

toshes mate

Quote from: rebel on October 28, 2021, 05:58:26 AM
To date he's had 49 opportunities (BBC website). You only need to look at the opportunities he's missed to see he could easily have had at least 10 more this season.
Where would we be without the absolute plethora of statistical nonsense churned out on a moment by moment basis? 

There's a statistic somewhere that can seemingly prove what you want it to prove any moment of any day.  Mitrovic is a proven striker who gets his goals by taking chances when they come and there isn't a forward in football history who can claim to have turned every potential chance into a score.  It's just impossible to do so.  There's just too much 'what about - ery' in football in almost every move.  Mitro's having a good season so give the guy a break and let us see how the season progresses as it happens and not play silly games along the journey just because we rate a player or not - as the case may be - and would like to win kudos for our beliefs.   

Sting of the North

I know we have had this debate before, and I remember that you believe that it is reasonable that Mitrovic should be more efficient than basically all other strikers in world football.  What I am yet to understand is what leads you to this conclusion, but I suspect I will never find out. Have you ever thought about putting Mitro's goal scoring into a wider perspective by comparing him to other strikers? Or can you see nothing except for the 'easy' chances he misses from time to time? In my opinion your conclusion seemingly lack context.

Jamie88

Whoa, hang on - are you genuinely saying that you expect Mitro to have scored around 25 goals for us already!?
Hahahahhaha

ALG01

to come back to the question. IMO it is clearly an OG, I am not sure there is not much doubt but Mitro did brilliantly at the near post and i have been saying for some years that if he would be less static in the box and make the near post runs he would be even more successful.

Regardiung the other talking point. Mitro is clearly a top goal scorer and this season a much improved team player. I think with this manager he would show himself to be a top man in the Prem.

rebel

Quote from: Sting of the North on October 28, 2021, 08:53:57 AM

I know we have had this debate before, and I remember that you believe that it is reasonable that Mitrovic should be more efficient than basically all other strikers in world football.  What I am yet to understand is what leads you to this conclusion, but I suspect I will never find out. Have you ever thought about putting Mitro's goal scoring into a wider perspective by comparing him to other strikers? Or can you see nothing except for the 'easy' chances he misses from time to time? In my opinion your conclusion seemingly lack context.

There are and have been more efficient strikers then Mitro, in better leagues then the Championship, that is a fact, because we all have a attachment and vested interest in the club, we focus on Mitro. If Ronaldo (Man Utd) had the same chances Mitro has had, how many would he score?

As for the following total garbage, 'Or can you see nothing except for the 'easy' chances he misses from time to time? In my opinion your conclusion seemingly lack context.'