more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Pick and Roll corner tactic strikes again

Started by jayffc, October 25, 2021, 01:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebel

Quote from: jayffc on October 25, 2021, 01:51:14 PM
Odoi this time with the block of the opposing defender for Mitro to get a free run on the corner for our first goal

How are we still getting away with this ha! It's highly effective and we've never been so potent from corners in my memory because of it. Very clever, but should it be legal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mhqBbpZf_o

Mitro is always getting blocked off. Most of the time it's illegal. On Sunday he was in the box and had his shirt 'tugged', but he carried on playing.

Nero

I believe Odoi was trying to move out of the way of a playing running towards him a full pelt but wasn't quick enough to get out the way, I also believe this is the first time Odoi hasnt backed off someone when they are running at him

Craven_Chris

What I like about the routine is that it can be done with different combinations of players, I can recall 3 of these this season, all resulting in goals (quite likely I have just failed to notice the unsuccessful ones)

The first I recall was Tosin blocking for Mitro against Hull: this one was, I think the cleverest, Tosin made an early run and then put his hands up in frustration (as did Mitro) as if to moan at Seri for not delivering the corner soon enough. This allowed Tosin to turn and walk back to his starting position, and as soon as his back was turned, Seri took the corner, Mitro made his run, and Tosin stepped in to block. Its clever because the initial faux confusion created a reason for Tosin to be facing away from the corner and towards Mitro (and his marker)

Then they did it at Birmingham, this time it was Chalobah (I think) blocking for Odoi. This one was really obvious, facing away from the ball, seeking out and moving into the path of the marker.

Then this one against Forest, Odoi blocking for Mitro. Again none of the mis-timed corner routine on this one, just a straight block.

Has anyone noticed us do this unsuccessfully? I find it hard to believe it always works!

WolverineFFC

Quote from: jayffc on October 25, 2021, 03:40:45 PM
Just watched it again,

He seeks out Mitro's marker,
Takes one step towards him, then a side step to ensure he blocks his path

There is zero intention to play the ball, hes facing away from it. His sole focus is on infringing the movement of the opposition defender. Clever indeed and effective - but I think theres a possibility if it isn't against the law now, it will be once ref's cotton on!

This was the first one we have scored on that looks like a foul to me. My understanding is you cannot intentionally obstruct another player's path. Seems it is Mitro's job to find Dennis, not Dennis to find his marker which is what happens here.

Regardless, if you man mark and do not clear out the near post it seems you are going to get hit with these corner tactics. Ironically, Fulham appear to know this which is why they zonal mark the 6 yard and have someone clearing the near and far posts. Several times against Forest I noted they had 2 men out against 4 opposition at the edge of the 18 while keeping a solid contingent at the 6.