watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Great Quotes

Started by grandad, October 31, 2021, 09:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandad

Winston Churchill was hosting a dinner party. A woman who was sat next to Winston turned & said to him "Sir, you are very drunk". Winston replied with " Madam , you are very ugly but in the morning I will be sober but you will still be very ugly.
Where there's a will there's a wife

ianthailand

Winston Churchill in one of the traps at Westminster when someone comes in and says Mr. Atlee wants you urgently. Churchill replies i can only deal with one sh1t at a time.

ALG01

i think the lady is usually reputed to be Bessie Bradock (lady Astor)
The quote like so many other attributed ones can be found from many years earlier in other publications so maybe he said it and maybe he did, but if he did it was surely not original. However, that doesn't stop it being funny and am always pleased to see it repeated because it made me smile on a wet windy rotten morning.

I Ronic

I think the woman in question was the American born Nancy Astor. The first woman to take her seat in Parliament.  The pair disliked each other intently. He tried to block women being MP's and she often heckled his speeches.
Lady Astor is also said to have responded to a question from Churchill about what disguise he should wear to a masquerade ball by saying, "Why don't you come sober, Prime Minister?" 

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Winston Churchill was a horrible man. Nasty across the board.

grandad

Quote from: RufusBrevettatemyhamster on October 31, 2021, 11:04:26 AM

That is exactly what Hitler thought.
Where there's a will there's a wife

filham

Quote from: grandad on October 31, 2021, 11:14:33 AM

I wouldn't expect a great war leader to be a nice ,quietly spoken, understanding gentleman.

H4usuallysitting

"I'll have whatever she's having"

The Old Count

I believe it was Lady Astor who also said, 'Winston, If you were my husband I would poison your coffee'. To which Churchill replied, ' Madam, if I were your husband I would drink it.'

bog

Quote from: The Old Count on October 31, 2021, 12:56:16 PM
I believe it was Lady Astor who also said, 'Winston, If you were my husband I would poison your coffee'. To which Churchill replied, ' Madam, if I were your husband I would drink it.'

You just beat me to this one!  :005:

Holders

Not Churchill, but I like (Oscar Wilde, I think it was): "America is the only country to go from barbarism to decadence without an intervening period of civilisation".
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Fulham Tup North

It was George Bernard Shaw, who was not a  Churchill fan, who sent him two tickets for the opening night of his new play with a note saying "Please accept these two tickets to my opening night. Bring a friend....if you have one"...
Churchill returned the tickets with a note saying "Unfortunately I have a prior engagement that evening, but I would love two tickets to your 2nd night..... if you have one!!!....
Genius...😉👍
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Quote from: filham on October 31, 2021, 11:50:08 AM

I wouldn't expect a great war leader to be a nice ,quietly spoken, understanding gentleman.

That argument ....

ianthailand

Cecil Rhodes: 'Remember you are an Englishman and have therefore won first prize in the lottery of life'

Woodlawn

Again in parliament a labour backbencher kept on heckling Churchill, who said I have looked in the dictionary and the definition of a heckler is a baiter and you sir are a master.

St Eve

That is exactly what Hitler thought. Great response