watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why I enjoy the Championship

Started by ChesterTheTabby, November 01, 2021, 12:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterTheTabby

1) We are competitive in every game rather than waiting for a hiding every other weekend, 2) winning regularly is enjoyable vs. losing, 3) Mid-Week games are a welcome addition. As a player they must be brutal but as a spectator they are great distractions and events to look forward to during the week.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

RaySmith

Quote from: ChesterTheTabby on November 01, 2021, 12:23:41 AM
1) We are competitive in every game rather than waiting for a hiding every other weekend, 2) winning regularly is enjoyable vs. losing, 3) Mid-Week games are a welcome addition. As a player they must be brutal but as a spectator they are great distractions and events to look forward to during the week.

I suppose players must also like these things - even playing twice a week, as long as you aren't getting hammered.
I suppose you don't do much training  in this situation, and most players prefer games to training.

Also more pressure on players in the Prem, and much more likely to be criticised for not being good enough/trying hard enough, etc.

On the other hand the Prem is  were the high status and  money lie, and for fans, too-  it's the pinnacle of achievement, with all the glamour and publicity.

St Eve

We could win even more in league 1! Sorry but the only place to be is in the premiership

hovewhite

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: St Eve on November 01, 2021, 08:22:48 AM
We could win even more in league 1! Sorry but the only place to be is in the premiership

Oh I agree - all I'm saying is that I'm enjoying this, right here right now, with full expectation we're back to the promised land next season!

rebel

Agree 100%, to be honest, what 'stifles' football are the concept of a draw, I'd love if it was all or nothing. Get rid of draws (some forum members will change the meaning).   

copthornemike

The OP makes a valid observation - but wouldn't it be even better to be winning at a higher level?
Beating WBA was enjoyable and we are currently fortunate to be supporting a club playing attractive, attacking football.
If I was a neutral footy fan FFC would be exactly the type of team to go to see a good standard of football, eg the overall standard of the recent match vs Swansea was better than many Premiership matches.
But it would be even more enjoyable to see FFC beat the likes of a Man U, Man City, Chelsea etc - and you can only do that if you are in the Premiership!

Ruislip White

Ending up in random places adds to it.  Peterborough away...

blingo

I want to see us up there with the best. That simple.

Holders

I love the "championship" but I still want my team to have a seat at the top table - even if it is below the salt.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Maidstone Lee

I love the Championship, winning more often and some great away days. But as said above, the Premier League is where we need to be and stay.

Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Whitestone

The target must be to get back to where we were under Al Fayed and then take it from there. All this yo yo ing is fairly pointless and has been so depressing following each of the last two promotions. We need to somehow find a way to get up and stay up.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Whitestone on November 01, 2021, 01:05:22 PM
The target must be to get back to where we were under Al Fayed and then take it from there. All this yo yo ing is fairly pointless and has been so depressing following each of the last two promotions. We need to somehow find a way to get up and stay up.

Yes it sure has. Years of jubilation and depression... a very bi-polar fan base we are becoming.

Whitesideup

Yo yo ing pointless? Frustrating, yes, incredibly. But the not-so-good alternative might be not to get promoted .. finish mid-table (or worse)  in the Championship for a few years?

Last season in the Premier was painful. However there were a number of games where we played well and ended up with nothing, when playing well was just not good enough, eg Spurs and Liverpool games. And towards the end we put in a few poor performances when we really needed the reverse. Villa, Leeds for example. I don't recall us being totally battered as Norwich were at the weekend.

If you do get relegated from the Premier, somehow you still have to improve the team. You need the basis of a Premier League side in the Championship. Certainly our style has improved, and we have lost some loanees of supposedly high quality who did us few favours, eg Loftus-Cheek and Lookman, but Andersen was definitely a loss. But I suspect we would experience the same difficulties in the final third we had last season. But I'd rather be a yo-yo than a side that consistently finishes mid-table in the Championship.

H4usuallysitting

The championship is a more competitive league, without the whinging diver's.....2 game's a week should set a team up nicely for the prem - but it's rarely the case

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Whitesideup on November 01, 2021, 02:34:47 PM

Yo yo ing pointless? Frustrating, yes, incredibly. But the not-so-good alternative might be not to get promoted .. finish mid-table (or worse)  in the Championship for a few years?

Last season in the Premier was painful. However there were a number of games where we played well and ended up with nothing, when playing well was just not good enough, eg Spurs and Liverpool games. And towards the end we put in a few poor performances when we really needed the reverse. Villa, Leeds for example. I don't recall us being totally battered as Norwich were at the weekend.

If you do get relegated from the Premier, somehow you still have to improve the team. You need the basis of a Premier League side in the Championship. Certainly our style has improved, and we have lost some loanees of supposedly high quality who did us few favours, eg Loftus-Cheek and Lookman, but Andersen was definitely a loss. But I suspect we would experience the same difficulties in the final third we had last season. But I'd rather be a yo-yo than a side that consistently finishes mid-table in the Championship.

Since Tony Khan took over recruitment, 15 teams have outspent us (all in the premier league for the last three seasons) and 2 teams have spent less than us with coaches that found a way to do better than us. The two team to find a way to do better are a) Burnley has spent 66% of what we have spent and b) Leeds has spent 82% of what we have spent. So under fFFP (financial fair play rules) without exceptional coaching, it is hard to break into the top 17 premier league teams. We have to keep on yoing yoing, until one of those 17 teams lets down their game and we have to be better than the rest.

filham

Oh those wins we had against the top six at the Cottage were so enjoyable and the atmosphere with the ground full was intoxicating, just can't wait for more of that.
With results going our way right now this season is enjoyable but the Premier League is the place to be.

WindyCity

Haha.....BINGO!!!!!   My feelings as well.  Much rather be in the Prem, as I'm sure the players/team would be too. 

WindyCity

Quote from: copthornemike on November 01, 2021, 12:04:25 PM
The OP makes a valid observation - but wouldn't it be even better to be winning at a higher level?
Beating WBA was enjoyable and we are currently fortunate to be supporting a club playing attractive, attacking football.
If I was a neutral footy fan FFC would be exactly the type of team to go to see a good standard of football, eg the overall standard of the recent match vs Swansea was better than many Premiership matches.
But it would be even more enjoyable to see FFC beat the likes of a Man U, Man City, Chelsea etc - and you can only do that if you are in the Premiership!

I would think the goal of FFC and its' followers would be to be a solid mid table Prem side.  Those types of seasons would be highly satisfying for a smaller Prem club and a team with a poor history (never having won anything in top flight).  And the occasional win or draw v a top 4 or 6 club would really be our 'winning a championship'.  I know that the beating taken at the Prem level can be demoralizing, but I'd rather see FFC in top flight than not, and I'm sure the players would too, as any athlete aspires to be the best he can be and want to reach the highest possible level of play.

ChesterTheTabby

To all on here who seem to think that I am stating that I prefer the Championship, I don't - what I'm saying is that it just isn't as miserable as some make it out to be at present time. Obviously the PL is where we're meant to be.