https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Contracts expiring at FFC this summer

Started by Maidstone Lee, November 01, 2021, 01:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LC

Quote from: We Are Premier League on November 02, 2021, 10:03:13 PM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on November 02, 2021, 09:12:18 AM
Do not underestimate the worth of having personalities like Ream & Odoi about the club even if they are 3 or 4th choice.
Unless they want a last season or two playing regularly, keeping them around the squad may be a wise move.

Agree, as long as Ream is 5th choice CB and Odoi is 3rd choice LB/RB they are good to keep in the squad.

Robinson        NEW                      Tosin             Tete
Bryan              Kongolo/Mawson/Hector           NEW
           Odoi and Ream

Sign a starting CB
Sign a RB to challenge Tete
Pick two out of Kongolo/Mawson/Hector and you have a decent group of 10 defenders for next year.

I agree, maybe Max Aarons from Norwich would be a good singing to compete with Tete. Just realised Aarons was born in Hammersmith.

If Mawson is fit I would probably extend. But Kongolo is a waste of money he hasn't been fit for two years, I think we should look elsewhere.

Bringing in a starting CB is essential for next season.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Whitestone on November 03, 2021, 06:19:52 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on November 03, 2021, 11:04:22 AM
Quote from: Whitestone on November 03, 2021, 09:02:31 AM
It's time to say thanks very much to Ream and Odoi at the end of the season. It really is. These two will never be able to play in the Premier League and if they were to, well, we all know what the outcome be. Neither are anywhere near the level even to be a Premier League squad player. I don't understand how anyone can have such an optimistic view of these two great servants of the club when it comes to them playing in the Premier League. All the evidence is there to show that they cannot compete at that level. We will never achieve Premier League stability with players of their calibre. To put some balance there are many other players in the squad who just like Ream and Odoi have failed at the higher level which is why we are a yo yo club.

Odoi and Ream have both played their parts in PL wins and clean sheets before, so I would say that contrary to your post, the evidence actually suggest that they can indeed be squad players in the PL.

The defeats significantly outweighed the wins the last time these two were regulars for Fulham in the Premier League (2018/19). As a reminder we lost 26 times and won just 7. We conceded 81 goals and ended the season with a minus 47 goal difference and were relegated. They didn't fare any better in the few games they played in last season. Neither were on the winning side once.  What more evidence do you require ?

I need no more evidence of Fulham having bad seasons, because I watched the games. I don't think that this was solely on Ream or Odoi, certainly not last time around. I am not arguing for them being starters, but I am arguing for us keeping solid, likely relatively cheap professionals that knows the club and could step in during a crisis.

Otherwise, the last time in the PL Mitro scored only 3 goals. Should we try to offload him, or is it possible that he may look better in a well functioning team? If so, could the same perhaps be true for other players as well? And your "evidence"  can be used for TC, Bryan and Seri (and Mitro) that played fairly regularly during 18/19. Should we get rid of them all based on that disastrous season? And don't forget Kebano who couldn't even make the team. And last season Reed, Reid, Robinson and Tosin played regularly in a team that went down with the faintest of whimpers.

Whitestone

Quote from: Sting of the North on November 04, 2021, 02:25:37 AM
It's time to say thanks very much to Ream and Odoi at the end of the season. It really is. These two will never be able to play in the Premier League and if they were to, well, we all know what the outcome be. Neither are anywhere near the level even to be a Premier League squad player. I don't understand how anyone can have such an optimistic view of these two great servants of the club when it comes to them playing in the Premier League. All the evidence is there to show that they cannot compete at that level. We will never achieve Premier League stability with players of their calibre. To put some balance there are many other players in the squad who just like Ream and Odoi have failed at the higher level which is why we are a yo yo club.

Odoi and Ream have both played their parts in PL wins and clean sheets before, so I would say that contrary to your post, the evidence actually suggest that they can indeed be squad players in the PL.

The defeats significantly outweighed the wins the last time these two were regulars for Fulham in the Premier League (2018/19). As a reminder we lost 26 times and won just 7. We conceded 81 goals and ended the season with a minus 47 goal difference and were relegated. They didn't fare any better in the few games they played in last season. Neither were on the winning side once.  What more evidence do you require ?

I need no more evidence of Fulham having bad seasons, because I watched the games. I don't think that this was solely on Ream or Odoi, certainly not last time around. I am not arguing for them being starters, but I am arguing for us keeping solid, likely relatively cheap professionals that knows the club and could step in during a crisis.

Otherwise, the last time in the PL Mitro scored only 3 goals. Should we try to offload him, or is it possible that he may look better in a well functioning team? If so, could the same perhaps be true for other players as well? And your "evidence"  can be used for TC, Bryan and Seri (and Mitro) that played fairly regularly during 18/19. Should we get rid of them all based on that disastrous season? And don't forget Kebano who couldn't even make the team. And last season Reed, Reid, Robinson and Tosin played regularly in a team that went down with the faintest of whimpers.

Last season with better defenders we conceded 53 goals with a minus goal difference of 26 so yes in the event of promotion at the end of this season it would be foolish to offer either an extended contract. Your argument about Mitro is not solid. He scored 11 goals in the first promotion season whereas last season he was frozen out by Parker which explains why his  goal tally was low.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Whitestone on November 04, 2021, 09:23:18 AM

Last season with better defenders we conceded 53 goals with a minus goal difference of 26 so yes in the event of promotion at the end of this season it would be foolish to offer either an extended contract. Your argument about Mitro is not solid. He scored 11 goals in the first promotion season whereas last season he was frozen out by Parker which explains why his  goal tally was low.

And your arguments just seem to be adjusted to whatever conclusion you want to reach. Mitro played really bad last season, and yet within a proper team with good tactics he can be good (maybe very good) even at that level. I believe the same to be true for almost all top Championship players. And therefore I prefer to keep the reliable ones as squad fillers instead of having to replace even more players in case of promotion. Much rather have Ream as fifth choice CB and Odoi as 3/4th choice fullback instead of having to recruit unproven players on top of what we will have to recruit anyway.

Whitestone

Quote from: Sting of the North on November 04, 2021, 04:37:38 PM
Quote from: Whitestone on November 04, 2021, 09:23:18 AM

And your arguments just seem to be adjusted to whatever conclusion you want to reach. Mitro played really bad last season, and yet within a proper team with good tactics he can be good (maybe very good) even at that level. I believe the same to be true for almost all top Championship players. And therefore I prefer to keep the reliable ones as squad fillers instead of having to replace even more players in case of promotion. Much rather have Ream as fifth choice CB and Odoi as 3/4th choice fullback instead of having to recruit unproven players on top of what we will have to recruit anyway.

My point is that Ream and Odoi are not reliable in the Premier League so why would you want to keep them as squad fillers ? They were way out of their depth in that division and are very unlikely to get any game time if we are promoted. They didn't last season. The club would be wiser to future proof  the squad and recruit players who can help us to achieve stability in the top flight. There are others in the current squad who are in the same category. We know that  because we've experienced two relegations in the last three seasons.
Because we are a yo yo team we can say who is capable of stepping up and who isn't. Mitro most certainly can play in the Prem. He was a victim of Parker's mismanagement along with a few others and would probably shine in the right structure. Seri is another who's talent was wasted under Parker.

Sting of the North

You believe that some players are excused for their poor performances because of arbitrary reasons, and some are not because of other reasons. I simply disagree, even if you repeat those same reasons several times. I believe that if a player is good enough to be a starter in the best team in the Championship, then that player is also good enough to be a squad player the next year in the PL. 

I prefer minimal squad changes in case of promotion, and thus would rather replace those already outside of the manager's plan (Christie, Knockaert etc.) with PL ready players. If we do well we can replace our fringe players with better players at a later time, but rather focus on recruiting about 5 good new players instead of focusing on recruiting 10 new players of which about half is only squad fillers anyway (that somehow are future proofing our team despite being brought in as squad depth).

In my opinion that is likely to lead to a much healthier transition from a squad perspective. Players that are expected to play very little is preferably players that you know works within the squad, and can accept sitting in the stands more often than not.

Radiowhite

Ream and odoi should never play in the premier league again. Serviceable in the championship but that's it.

bobby01

Quote from: Sting of the North on November 04, 2021, 08:56:06 PM
You believe that some players are excused for their poor performances because of arbitrary reasons, and some are not because of other reasons. I simply disagree, even if you repeat those same reasons several times. I believe that if a player is good enough to be a starter in the best team in the Championship, then that player is also good enough to be a squad player the next year in the PL. 

I prefer minimal squad changes in case of promotion, and thus would rather replace those already outside of the manager's plan (Christie, Knockaert etc.) with PL ready players. If we do well we can replace our fringe players with better players at a later time, but rather focus on recruiting about 5 good new players instead of focusing on recruiting 10 new players of which about half is only squad fillers anyway (that somehow are future proofing our team despite being brought in as squad depth).

In my opinion that is likely to lead to a much healthier transition from a squad perspective. Players that are expected to play very little is preferably players that you know works within the squad, and can accept sitting in the stands more often than not.

There is a lot of sense in this.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

WhiteJC

teams who get promoted tend to do better when the majority of the squad remains? at least that's my "intuition", Wolves, Villa and Brentford are examples.

Norwich is probably the case against although they sell their best player(s) after they've been promoted?

Twig

Quote from: Radiowhite on November 04, 2021, 09:32:02 PM
Ream and odoi should never play in the premier league again. Serviceable in the championship but that's it.

"Serviceable" is a downright bloody insult. The contributions they have made this season in the Championship is way better than that.

Having made that point I will admit that I tend to agree that there is little point in extending their contracts for Premier level football. My only caveat would be if either is being considered for transitioning into a coaching role at FFC, both are very solid professionals and could be suited by that career direction.